Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
photocat
Registered Users

Re: How is your fridge organized?

Eek, mine is fairly random.

There is one pull out drawer thingy at the top that has the cheese, ham etc, then milk and tall things in the doors, veggie bin at the bottom. Beyond that, good luck My dh has been known to open it, take one look and ask me to find the whatever-it-is he's looking for.

And on Sunday after I've been to the farmer's market it looks like a complete disaster. My theory is it's just too small. We bought this when it was just the two of us and before I really did much from scratch cooking. Now we eat paelo (ish) so meat and veg and eggs, raw diary and butter for the kids.... fridge is always chock-a-block. Except right before farmer's market day

Advertisement

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go crazy if my fridge wasn't organized. I clean it out once week, before getting groceries. Here's what's in there right now...

Top Shelf: Beverages (tea, milk, juice, water)
Middle Shelf: yogurt, eggs, hummus, sour cream, cream cheese, margarine
Bottom Shelf: Tortillas/Bagels & Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, grapes, grapefruit, lemons)
Left Drawer: Meat & Cheeses (blocks of cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, colbyjack; hot dogs and lunch meat)
Right Drawer: Veggies (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, celery, peppers, tomato)
Door Shelves: compartment- stick butter; shelves- preserves, mustard, ketchup, syrups, mayo, broth, sauces, salad dressings

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Top shelf: cucumber, avacado, kiwi, apples, oranges, pomegranates, lemons, red peppers, teething ring
Middle shelf: water, almond milk, salad, lettuce, carrots, green onion, asparagus
Bottom shelf: hummus, yogurt, bbq sauce, baby carrots, bowl of washed and ready to juice veggies/fruits.
Door: sauces (terryaki, orange, schezuan (sp?), etc.), apple sauce, salad dressing, jam, cheese, butter, pickles

I actually just cleaned the fridge yesterday, that's how I know where everything is lol
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a small-ish fridge, so it kinda doesn't sound like we have a lot in there, but it is packed pretty full.

Top shelf is milk on the left side (2% and skim), juices on the right side (we usually have at least 3 different types at any given time), and bags/containers of salad mix, spring mix, and baby spinach.
Second shelf has a drawer on the left that takes up about half the shelf width, drawer holds kids snack/lunchbox stuff like cheese sticks, unsweetened applesauce cups, packs of carrot & celery sticks in snack size bags. Eggs are next to that drawer, we keep at least 3 dozen at all times because I bake a LOT and me & the kids are all addicted to hard boiled eggs lol
Bottom shelf is tortillas, precut veggies & fruit for snacking, random containers of fruit that aren't in bowls, and pre-cut meats & veggies (each in a glass bowl) for dinners through the week down the center, and/or leftovers in glass bowls to be used for lunches.
Bottom left drawer is nine million types of cheese...okay, not really...but tons of different types of cheese for tons of different recipes. We're addicted to cheese Bottom right hand drawer holds apples and occasionally oranges.
Door has butter behind the little butter door, extra boxes of butter on the shelf next to it & a little container that holds American cheese for DD :gag: Other shelves in door hold strawberry preserves, grape jelly, miracle whip, salad dressing, chocolate syrup, salsa, minced garlic, all those other random jarred condiment type things.

I'm more proud of the organization of our upright freezer...baskets on every shelf, everything sorted in rows within each basket by type...I've seriously stood in front of our freezer and said "its just so beautiful"...while my hubby stood nearby laughing his butt off at me
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

The top of mine has my huge Brita water thing, next to it is a carton of Almond milk, some apple juice, an unopened Coconut water that's been in there forever (I really should drink it), an unopened mini bottle of Strawberry Dacari, TGI Friday Brand that's been in there forever, and probably a half glass of wine (still in the bottle) that's also been in there forever - I use that for cooking...Also the lemon and lime juice is on the top.

Second shelf is the milk I pump and my pumping parts (I wash at the end of the day), corn tortillas that dh eats, some sliced turkey from the deli, applesauce, and a couple jars of pickles.

Third shelf is 2 cartons of egg, a mini carton of Liquid egg whites and the basket of "eat this stuff before it goes bad and before you touch anything else in the fridge" that I put our opened bag of salad, washed lettuce leaves, opened baby carrots, chopped veggies for snacking, and fruits that are about to go bad, etc. into so it doesn't get shoved to the back of the fridge and forgotten about.

Fourth shelf is a bunch of that Organic Yotoddler yogurt for dd (that I got for $.99 for a 4-pack!!), 3 containers of hummus, and 5 bags of salad (we go through about 20 bags of salad a week between the two and a half of us).

In the top drawer is veggies, currently a head of regular cabbage, 3 bags unopened baby carrots, 3 bell peppers needing to be chopped, a large turnip I'll spin in my veggie thing to make "pasta" with sometime next week, a head of red cabbage (that I need to match with some lettuce and make my own salad with. lol), and 1.5lbs of broccoli.

The bottom drawer is fruit that will last at least a week or so before it *has* to go into the eat-it-now basket. We have red apples, green apples, avocados, and oranges.

The door - top has garlic and butter in it...and dh's turkey call. Lol

Next shelf has my million and one bottles of various vitamins.

Next three shelves are filled with different condiments, salad dressings, hot sauces, and salsas.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. I try to keep it organized but DH just shoves stuff wherever. It gets messy quickly! But I try.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a tiny fridge, but it works for us because I hate having food go bad, so we grocery shop 2-3 times per week.

Door: Condiments, canned sodas if they fit at the time

Top shelf: Drinks (milk, coconut milk, mix for mixed drinks, apple juice, sweet tea, keifer, water) If we have left over pasta sauce in the jar and it won't fit on the door this is where it goes.

Second Shelf: Leftovers, Snacks, Eggs, Butter

Third Shelf: it sort of depends. This is where canned sodas go it they don't fit on the door. Or where overflow from the drawer goes if we're running out of rome there. (Currently holding a boiled sweet potato and unopened package of turkey bacon)

Only Drawer: Fresh Fruits and Veggies, Cheese, Deli Meats and Breakfast Meats. DS loves to pull his snacks from this drawer all by himself, so we keep his snacking foods there, basically hotdogs, cheese sticks, a variety of berries, pre-sliced apples, ect.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Talia01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Top shelf:
Brita, milk bag jug, cream, juice, beer
Drawer:
cheese, lunch meat
Middle shelf:
Yogurt, berries, salad, hummus
Bottom shelf:
meat, leftovers, 4L bag of milk
Side door-
Butter (own spot)
Eggs in their own spot
yeast, soy sauce, peanut butter, jam, maple syrup, balsamic, ketchup/mustards/mayo, any homemade chutneys and salad dressings.

Two bins in the bottom.
Left bin- sweet potatoes/potatoes/onions/garlic
Right bin- veggies
(most fruit lives in a bowl in our table)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine is fairly well organized, but it does get cluttered if I don't stay on top of it

Top shelf has sodas on the left (a fridge box for DH and one for BIL) then on the right is salad dressings, mayo, mustard, sour cream, etc.

Under the top shelf on the left is a drawer that has lunch meats and string cheese. Under the drawer is a perfect space for eggs. To the right of these is where I keep milk/other beverages. Bottom shelf has cheese, butter, and leftovers.

Then under the bottom shelf are 2 drawers that keep all our fruits/veggies.

In the door is DH's insulin, and other items that don't fit in the rest of the fridge Sometimes there's salad condiments or orange/apple juice or chocolate sauce or jam/jelly.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #20
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh good reminder... I'm probably due to thin out our excess food. With a busy toddler, I'm finding myself wanting to go grocery shopping less and less, so our cupboards have been getting pretty empty. But there's still stuff in there I need to get rid of. By becoming more minimalist about our food, it's much easier to organize.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote