Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WTH Victoria's Secret????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Its aimed at college aged girls. They have campus contests and collegiate stuff on their website.

Parents are the ones buying them for younger girls or they get them themselves with the money they get from babysitting and mom drops them off at the mall.

No way in hell would my girls wear those (they dont even wear thongs). And I know this because I still do their laundry and we share a dresser. Lol.
According to the article that is linked, the CFO of VS admits that it is aimed at teens, who "want to be cool, like the girls in college"

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Disgusting to say the least ! I'm not shocked at all though. I mean really ,what would expect from such a degrading store as Victoria Secrets ?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

eww

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Its aimed at college aged girls. They have campus contests and collegiate stuff on their website.

Parents are the ones buying them for younger girls or they get them themselves with the money they get from babysitting and mom drops them off at the mall.

No way in hell would my girls wear those (they dont even wear thongs). And I know this because I still do their laundry and we share a dresser. Lol.
This.

AND ... the company would not be doing this if they didn't see it as a way to cater to their customers.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sadly it doesn't surprise me, but it does make me grateful for our crappy little mall with very few stores in it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33andunder

According to the article that is linked, the CFO of VS admits that it is aimed at teens, who "want to be cool, like the girls in college"
She didnt say that.

This is what she said:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=18815506

Lower down it does say a male cfo in a conference did mention 15/16 year old girls though.

Eta: but they have never said the line was directed towards Tweens and young teens. My girls didn't even know what Victoria secret was until this last Xmas when I was looking for a specific style of pajamas for myself online. They are 14 and 15. If you don't want your kids to see that stuff or buy it then you need to be a little more involved in what your kids are seeing and buying. They have shown the line is for college girls who are old enough to decide what underwear they want.

Last edited by ktmelody; 03-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

The "I dare you" really upsets me, especially in light of something like Steubenville. The fact that they're aimed at young girls, who might not understand what it might really mean, is even more upsetting.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think all of the outrage over all this is downright ridiculous. This is nothing new! People are acting like VS has crossed some line that in reality many other stores crossed over a decade ago.

When I was 13, my best friend and I giggles like fiends while buying matching pairs of thongs- our very first. By the time I graduated from high school, I wore them almost exclusively. And many of them had provocative sayings or pictures on them. My favorite pair were red and said "vixen" on the crotch! Where did I buy such horrifying underwear? Let's see... Forever21, WetSeal, and Walmart were probably the top 3 places I shopped. Really, go into almost any teen focused store (the cheaper, the better) and you will find this kind of underwear. Never heard a peep of outrage over it until now.

And you know what? I wasn't a "bad" girl, I can name only one guy who ever saw those undies, and I cared about plenty more important things than looking cool or sexy. I just love fun underwear.

And before anyone says anything about my saint of a mother, her only crime was expecting her daughter to be responsible for her own laundry starting at 12 years old. I bought my fun undies with money I earned from being a tutor, babysitter, and dance teaching assistant. I was such a rotten egg!

Flame suit on.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have to agree with KTMelody and Mamasab; this isn't a new problem, and it isn't VS's intention. VS has a huge problem with "aspirational markets"; that is, tweens and teenagers who want to be like the college-aged women that VS does target. This is such a well-known situation that my marketing textbook discussed VS's position as a case study quite a few years ago.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
I wore thongs in middle and high school, but only for dance. Briefs are not flattering under jazz pants. The sayings on these bother me more than anything. Yuck. I showed them to DH and his first response was, "makes me glad we have boys."
I still have memories of running on the track in hideous jazz pants and a leotard cringing at the girls who opted for briefs.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote