Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #31
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'm not surprised at this. So many things are marketed toward young people. It's too get them hooked at a young age. It's not surprising. It's been around for a while. I mean Joe Camel of Camel cigarettes has been targeting kids for a long time. If VS can get 13 year old girls to want to buy their undies a few years before they usually would, of course they will try. That's a lot of money! Parents are allowing their kids to buy these underwear or not telling them to return them when they come home from the mall. It's good marketing and as long as they are making money, it is working. If you don't like it don't buy it for your girls. While I won't mind my teens wearing thongs, if they come home with sayings like these on their undies they'll be returning them. But what Jane Doe over there allows her little 13 year old Jessica to wear is her prerogative.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
hilaryisinked
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady

I am genuinely curious, how else should they advertise for sexy underwear? The entire purpose of the store is to sell sexy underwear to women. I am not sure there's another way to advertise for sexy underwear except to show women wearing it and being sexy?
Agree with you. It's not degrading. It's gorgeous women modeling underwear sold to make women feel sexy. I highly doubt those models feel degraded. I don't feel degraded in my VS products. I feel super sexy! You can't really model lingerie while fully clothed...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WTH Victoria's Secret????????

They've been doing this for years in so many different ways to market to children or if not use children to market to adults. I just think simple unplugging from things like TV and keeping away from ads in general does the job. Not saying I agree with what they're doing but they're not the only ones doing it you know...
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
hilaryisinked
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
They've been doing this for years in so many different ways to market to children or if not use children to market to adults. I just think simple unplugging from things like TV and keeping away from ads in general does the job. Not saying I agree with what they're doing but they're not the only ones doing it you know...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #35
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We try to steer clear of vs when we go to the mall. I don't really need my kids seeing model figures in their underwear larger than life.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked

Agree with you. It's not degrading. It's gorgeous women modeling underwear sold to make women feel sexy. I highly doubt those models feel degraded. I don't feel degraded in my VS products. I feel super sexy! You can't really model lingerie while fully clothed...

Yup, not going to sell much if they have a bunch of really overweight women sitting on the couch eating cookies looking like crap YK? And it's even harder to sell it if they are wearing clothes. Honestly people are funny when they complain about this stuff. What do you expect the model in the VS window at the mall to be wearing???
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #37
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Like a PP, I'm not too keen on the ones that say I Dare You, but beyond that I don't care.

Would I buy them for my daughter when she's a teen? Nope. Would I freak out if she bought them herself? Nope.

I wore undies like that back in the day, and I was not a crazy teen with a long list of sexual partners.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #38
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missemily View Post
So not only do we have girls with slogans written on their butt, but now on their crotch!! WTH??
Well, it's kind of hard to write on the back of a thong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I am genuinely curious, how else should they advertise for sexy underwear? The entire purpose of the store is to sell sexy underwear to women. I am not sure there's another way to advertise for sexy underwear except to show women wearing it and being sexy?
While I agree with the sentiment of this post, I do get a little frustrated at some of the unnatural poses and duck faces (yes, VS models do a duck face variation in many catalogue pictures). It's not the way I see myself being sexy at all, so some of their marketing doesn't appeal to me and my sensibilities.

That said, Alessandra Ambrosio makes me question my place on the preference continuem.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #39
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

Yup, not going to sell much if they have a bunch of really overweight women sitting on the couch eating cookies looking like crap YK? And it's even harder to sell it if they are wearing clothes. Honestly people are funny when they complain about this stuff. What do you expect the model in the VS window at the mall to be wearing???
While I get what you're saying I think they could market their product In a more conservative manner. I don't find it appropriate nor necessary to have jumbo sized posters of almost nude women to be hanging in the store front in a family friendly shopping mall. I don't want my children seeing women objectified like that. You can be confidant and sexy without having to pose like you're ready for the next scene in an adult movie. Victoria’s Secret commercials are borderline ****ographic as they feature half-naked women strutting around in high heels, bending over sexually, dancing, and staring seductively at the camera as they touch their hair and lips. I don't want my daughter to think that she has to flaunt her body in reveling clothing to gain attention from men . I also don't want my son to be " trained" into thinking that the image Victoria Secret portrays is what women have to look or act like that to be "wanted."
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #40
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post

Well, it's kind of hard to write on the back of a thong.

While I agree with the sentiment of this post, I do get a little frustrated at some of the unnatural poses and duck faces (yes, VS models do a duck face variation in many catalogue pictures). It's not the way I see myself being sexy at all, so some of their marketing doesn't appeal to me and my sensibilities.

That said, Alessandra Ambrosio makes me question my place on the preference continuem.
You just get sassier the longer you're here