Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

How to approach it with a young one?

My 15 month old has become potty obsessed. She loves to just sit there and has peed on 3 different occasions. She's very verbal so I think we could do this but I don't know how. My DD1 was 3 months shy of 3 years old when she just decided it was time to go potty. There was no effort on my part. How do I do this with such a young toddler?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's when my dd started training. I got brave and we went naked bum at home and kept the potty in the room we were in. We did clean up lots of "oops" tinkles the first few weeks. But eventually she caught on. I'm a fan of the "cold turkey" approach. Once they know they can pee in the potty we go straight to underwear and don't go back. My dd was completely accident free by 18mo and will be 2 next month and still going strong. I usually have to help with her pants (especially if we are out and about or she's got jeans on). But she'll tell me when she needs to go and will hold it until she gets to a potty.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to approach it with a young one?

Totally agree with pp. We just went cold turkey, too. I highly recommended "Oh Crap Potty Training". It really helped me have the confidence to go for it and gave a good overview of the process. As far as any specifics, make sure all her clothes are potty friendly (ie elastic waist pants, and no rompers, overalls, etc). And work with her to help her learn how to get her bottoms on/off. Although you'll probably be helping her for a while yet. My lo will also tell me when she needs to go and hold it till we get to the potty. And if she's bottomless, she'll even sit down and take care of it herself. You can do it!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 14 month old is too busy to sit still on a potty but I think we're going to give it a shot soon.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also - FTR - my dd will be two at the end of the month. She has been accident free since 18 months (except for the occasional "oops" pee when she's with daddy and having too much fun to stop playing and go use the potty), but I have to help her with her pants and take her to the potty on a regular basis. Some might consider our current status as more of an "EC" thing because she isn't 100% independent with going on her own (without reminder), and I still help her with her pants. I was even told by an older lady that she's not "really potty trained" because of those things. *shrug*

Oh well. Lol. We're diaper free, that's all that I was concerned about. :-). And slowly working on helping her take over the rest of the skills like doing pants and stuff on her own. I felt like it wasn't fair of me to ignore her obvious cues of wanting to toilet rather than use her diaper, just bc she needed help with her pants still.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
ladiebug2663
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought ohcrappottytraining today, sooooo glad i did! Lots of good info.
ladiebug2663 is offline   Reply With Quote