Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Interesting topic - Disabilities and being a parent

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-keep-son.html

What do you think? Do those with disabilities have the right to raise their child? Should they be required to have an able bodied caregiver?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Interesting topic - Disabilities and being a parent

In this case, I think it's absurd that they're interested in taking the baby away. Both parents have physical issues, but normal functioning brains. The mother is fully capable of doing everything any other mother could (diapering, feeding, etc), she just does it a little differently. By those standards, deaf and blind women shouldn't have children, nor should amputees or arthritics. If they start taking babies away from people with physical abnormalities, where does it stop?

As long as the child's needs are met (and it sounds like they are), there is absolutely no reason to remove the child.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, I have a very old friend (we met in probably 3rd grade) with cerebral palsy. He's some sort of computer engineer. He makes insane amounts of money setting up detailed computer systems for large companies. I can't imagine someone saying he wasn't capable of caring for a child because he uses a wheelchair and talks a little funny.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

It seems like they're doing great so far. The baby is a month old and she even breastfeeds. I think Children's Aid is being unreasonable. Also, the parents are intelligent. They will ask for help if they find they need it. They live in a building where they can get assistance already. The baby is pretty cute too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

To be fair, there are things that many of us do as parents that this couple are unable to do...but the examples I am thinking of don't pertain to the care and safety of newborns & infants. I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to quickly chase the boy when he's a toddler & he darts away in a parking lot or on a sidewalk, or, as the article says, being able to pick him up when he's a bigger boy. BUT there are organizations, funds, & staff to ensure that those needs will be able to be met when the time comes. I think that taking (or proposing to) a child away from his parents on the presumption that they won't be able to provide appropriate care to him in the future is incredibly backwards & insulting. It doesn't sound as though the couple is opposed to assistance, but rather that they aren't identifying that they need it yet...hopefully when the time comes, they'll make the request. IDK though, is this one of those areas where Canadian operations are significantly different than US? I mean, usually there has to be some evidence as to the parents' inability/unwillingness to provide a minimum of care in order for a child to be removed from a parent's care long-term & that decision goes in front of a judge for a determination about custodial placement.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Shaunam
Registered Users

They look like they are actually very capable physically. It looks like mom doesn't even need assistance with walking. I didn't see dad move around, but even if he needs a wheelchair, who cares!? I bet anything they are pre-judging them because they "sound" cognitively impaired, even though they are not. Good for mom for nursing!

Last edited by katedanzer; 03-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older sister is blind and she has a baby who she is taking wonderful care of. Someone tries to say she is not a capable mother and I will show them real quick what I think of them!
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I met a lady (who was the focus of a documentary in the 1970's or 1980's) who was born without arms. She has hands attached to her shoulders! She has 2-3 kids and did everything for them with her feet, including diapering using pins!!! She washes dishes, does laundry, cleans the house all using her feet. Her husband, their father, left her when they were small and she didn't have any help. I guess by the reasoning in the article she should have lost her kids too?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Belbaby3728
Banned

I myself am deaf and have my first child who is now 20 weeks old. Yes I would have a serious problem if anyone came in and said my child needed to be taken away because I have a disability or because she can hear and I can't. (I lost my hearing when I was 9 years old due to menginitis so it isn't genetic). Its one thing to be ready to offer a family like this assistance, its another thing to take the baby away.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think they need to leave this family alone. I have a friend who lived across from me with cp, she is a single mom and did a wonderful job. I met her a few years ago when we moved here and she cooks, cleans, helps with homework, takes her dd swimming, bike riding, she does so much for and with her daughter. There is no way this baby should be removed from his parents just because they have cp, I have seen that cp does not make anyone incapable of caring for a child.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote