Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Summer B-days

suck. DD has been going on for the last 2 days about how she is only going to invite girls to her b-day party. She doesn't have any girl friends outside of school and her b-day is at the end of July. She won't be in contact with any of her school friends. And even if we every year most of the people we would invite to her party our on vacation. Just tried to tell her we can go to Great Wolf Lodge instead of having a party and she agreed. 2 mins later she said maybe we can go to GWL and then have her party after . She does have a school friend whose b-day is the day after hers. So I am pretty sure we could count on them and one other girl who she has had play dates with, but I am not sure we can manage her best 2 friends. Without them she won't care about the party. I feel a little odd about talking to the parents 2 months before the birthday, but I will try and see I guess. Maybe I'll get the info and invite them but not tell her. Then it will be a surprise if they are able to come. Summer b-days suck.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Summer B-days

maybe you can do a 6 month bday party...(too late for this year)... but next year you could have her have a party in January (6 months before her birthday). And make it a fun "half party" theme?

I'm going to be dealing with this with DD and the new baby. DD's bday is Sept 11th, so she'll be in school for a week before her bday. Baby is due the end of August and we don't start school here until after Labor Day.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Funny, we always have to work around friends vacations for my kids who have summer b-days but its my dec 16th b-day kid who tends to get the shaft. So for him we have done a half birthday so that he could have a pool party and ppl weren't sick with winter flus or busy with Christmas or away with family .

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't find it odd if you asked me if we had any major vacations towards the end of July because your dd really wants my dd at her party. In fact, one of dd1's best friends has an August birthday and in July her Mom sent me and 2 other Moms an email and asked if we were free x, x or x weekends and then she set the party on a date that all 3 girls were available. None of us thought anything of it - summers are hard to schedule.

Now if you asked me today if I had plans at the end of July, I'd say no but I also couldn't commit to anything right now either. Summer is way too far out for me and I haven't even thought about summer. I'd maybe just get their email addresses (or phone numbers) now and explain that your dd wants to invite their dd to her birthday party in July and you'd like to get ahold of them closer to then about when might work to schedule the party so they could attend.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have two with an early Sept birthday. It is always a struggle because our kids don't start school until after Labour Day, and it is tight to get invitations out. This year, they have planned a joint party and I am planning on sending a save the date at school end in June. This is the first time we are trying this, so I hope it isn't too odd.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking if people celebrate at half b-days why can't I just do a party in May while they are still in school? Our usual parties are just grandparents, cake and presents so its wouldn't be like 2 big party things going on. She could have a real party with her school friends and then just do cake and presents with grandparents on her real b-day. Does that sound crazy?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

DS is Aug 6th and school starts back here a week or so later. I am hoping he will have summer friends we can invite if I keep him involved in summer sports/activities.

DS2 being due in April will have it made.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always hated my end of July birthday and planned my kids to not be summer babies! All the reasons you listed, plus getting to do a special something for everyone at school all year except me! We would invite a ton of kids and only a couple would show up because of all the summer chaos and travel. But my 8th birthday was amazing since pretty much everyone showed up. My parents were baffled when 20 kids came but it was the BEST birthday ever.

One kid I babysat was a Christmas day baby... his birthdays definitely got the shaft. So he would choose a summer 6 month birthday so he could do something in the water. It is true, spring and winter birthdays outdoors are so darn cold.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
I'm born at the end of July and I never got to have big parties with my classmates. When I got older I had small get togethers with close friends that I saw all year round. I now have two end of June babies and if they went to school I would totally do a party in may so they could invite friends. I don't think that's weird. this year my youngest is going to the museum with hey best friend and then going back to my house for crafts, cake, and ice cream. so of course I have to coordinate with her schedule. Totally not weird to me.