Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

Any advice on weaning from shield?

My LO is 1 month old now and I want to ditch the shield. My LC said I have good anatomy and do not need to use it, but it was the only way we could get him to latch on in the beginning. He was born at 36 weeks and we could not get him to open up wide enough to get a good latch. After 32 hours of not getting him to latch, we trailed the shield and he latched right away and started eating. The LC said most likely his mouth was still too small to get a good latch and he'd have to grow into it. She suggested offering without the shield first at every feeding, which I have been doing, but he still mostly refuses to nurse without the shield. I've tried the hamburger approach and 25% of the time he latches, but he only sucks for maybe 5 min then refuses to eat more without the shield. The other 75% of the time he curls his top lip in and pecks at it, bobbing his head and getting upset until he gets the shield. Did anyone have a similar experience? I hate using the shield because if I would go somewhere and forget to bring it I can't feed him.

Advertisement

creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any advice on weaning from shield?

Patience. Patience and more patience. sorry. It's a great sign that he will go for 5 minutes without it. How long have you been trying to wean him off of it? It took me around 3 weeks before she went a whole feed without it. I remember feeling like she'd never get off of it. Now she nurses without it, we are having other issues not related to the shield unfortunately but just keep trying and one day your LO will give up the shield.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
addielou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It took us 8 weeks to wean off of it, but one day I forgot it at home and she just finished her feeding without it. We're on month 15 of nursing with no other problems. I know it's not much help, but I wanted to let you know it gets better soon.
addielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

I've always offered no shield first, but I've focused on it more the last couple of weeks.
creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
birdinhand
Registered Users

Anecdotally I have heard of a lot of babies weaning off the shield around 11 weeks, so first off, don't feel rushed. It is annoying, but there isn't a hurry.

Trying Laid-back breastfeeding or biological nursing may help. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/
http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
http://www.normalfed.com/Starting/mammal.html

Getting in the tub with him where the water can provide a distraction and the skin-to-skin can help activate his nursing sequence might help.

You may find luck searching at kellymom.com for other help.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Mack
Registered Users
seller

I was successful by starting the feeding with it on then just pulling the shield off when he took a break. Did that for about three days and we were done. (About six weeks old)
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I was successful by starting the feeding with it on then just pulling the shield off when he took a break. Did that for about three days and we were done. (About six weeks old)
This.
My dd1 had same issue of small mouth. I used one for three months. My dog kept finding them and eating them. I was getting tired of spending $6 for dog treats.

I would start w shield so that baby gets food and isn't frantic with hunger. Plan a day when you know it will be quiet so your stress is low.

Get baby thru initial part of feed. Once s/he slows down, break the latch remove shield.

I think that babies who are used to the shield don't know that the have the nipple in their mouths. It's soft and undefined compared to a shield so they don't latch. You need to define the nipple for them.

Place yr fingers around the nipple like holding a cigarette and squeeze it slightly so that your index and middle finger sandwich the nipple. You want to put your fingers around the edge of nipple and skin. Put baby on and see if that helps. Try to express some milk as soon as nipple is in mouth so that baby gets that this action will get them what they want.

Keep trying and don't get frustrated, I was able to get dd1 off in one day and went on nurse for nine months.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote