Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Here is one:

http://m.wave3.com/autojuice?targetU...ou-dont-expect

http://www.usnews.com/education/arti...undary-hopping

I would read your schools handbook/laws. Because there can be steep fines and prosecution if you are caught. Schools are on to it as well. It is illegal to do so.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
The question is more hypothetical. We don't even live there yet. It just came up in conversation. We haven't looked into much because we don't live there and my kids aren't school age yet. But, being one of the most sought after districts in the state, I'm sure that there's a limit to how many outside-the-district transfers they allow, and its probably hard to get chosen. Just a guess.

If you say x kid lives at z residence, that z district gets the money and the x kid goes to that school, so I don't see how the schools lose funding, regardless of where the kids actually lives. Interesting, thanks for the article.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: Would you consider renting...

There is a family in our town that has done that. They own a large farm in a different town, and were spelling lots of money on private school. Instead they bought a second house in our town, where they live during the school year. Cheaper than their private tuition was.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of several families that live in very good school districts and HATE their house (rented or otherwise) because of the school district. Around here, rents in those towns are not cheap enough to be able to do what you are talking about doing. I think people around here would be able to find a private catholic school for the price of rent in those towns. At least the ones that I am thinking of. However our property taxes are insane here in New Jersey and it isn't uncommon for the property tax on a house to easily exceed $10,000 - $15,000 a year in the best school districts. When you are paying just that on property tax, rent can't be cheap (purchasing houses are not either), and also it only makes sense for a while, as you can live in cheaper area put your child in a nice private school for that same cost. Of coarse if you have several children, it may be a better option either way.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
The question is more hypothetical. We don't even live there yet. It just came up in conversation. We haven't looked into much because we don't live there and my kids aren't school age yet. But, being one of the most sought after districts in the state, I'm sure that there's a limit to how many outside-the-district transfers they allow, and its probably hard to get chosen. Just a guess.

If you say x kid lives at z residence, that z district gets the money and the x kid goes to that school, so I don't see how the schools lose funding, regardless of where the kids actually lives. Interesting, thanks for the article.
I mean, couldn't everybody just rent a one room apartment for super cheap to send their kid to the coveted school? I don't see how that could work...I do think it is illegal as you are claiming residency where you don't actually reside.

I would, however, consider renting a small apartment or whatever I could afford in a good school district and actually living there instead of in a nice house in a bad school district. (Actually, I'm kind of already doing that though my kids are not in school yet.)
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf

Rent it just for the address, a cheap apartment. But live in the house you wanted, outside the school zone.
Oh!! Lol!! NOO! I misunderstood what you were saying. We would move there and live there. Not rent an apartment and leave it empty.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are currently renting a house in one of the best school districts in our area. We can't afford to buy the seize house we'd need right now b/c the property/school taxes are so high, so for now we are renting and when the oldest 2 move out we will probably buy. It's worth it to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
It's funny that DH and I at opposite in this. He wants to buy the house/land we want outside the town, and rent a small apartment in the town. He would use it as a home office, and we would go to school there. The rent would be what the difference inn property taxes alone would be, $6-8000. I think We should buy something small in the town with the school, and buy a small plot of land outside the city where we could picnic, hike, plant trees, and take the dogs on the weekend. We probably won't be moving there so it doesn't matter anyway, but it raised some interesting questions!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Amandamama
Registered Users

My friends do this, they own a house outside of town, but to send their two kids to the public school in town, they rent an apt there and the kids go there after school while their parents finish up work. Many nights they stay in town, one parent may come back to the house in the country to take care if the garden, etc, they all come home on weekends.
They didnt want to sell their paid off place in the country, & came up with this solution for high school for the kids.
Most of the better school districts don't allow out of district paying students anymore due to overcrowding., and our small town only has one private option, a catholic school.
We homeschool.
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

If we could yes. Our town's school is beyond awful. The town we'd love to live in has the academy but also pretty decent public school.