Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Would you consider renting...

That's our plan for when dd gets to high school. Here, you only have to live in the zone for the beginning of the school year and they let you stay until your child graduates if you can commute so that the kid gets the continuity. For us, it's not actually leaving our district, but there are lots of schools and many of the good ones won't accept out of their zone transfers. We're paying the same taxes to the same school district, but because we live in a lower income area where "the kids aren't going to do well anyway," we get so much less. We'll definitely do whatever it takes to get our kids out.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

No, certainly not in our area. The school districts in our area that are under-performing, have issues with gangs/crime/drugs, are generally awful, and are not places that I would willingly live. Maybe that's stuck up, but I'd put a trailer on a 10k piece of farmland and send them to an outlying school before I'd do the inner city ones. We are fortunate housing here is really affordable, even in the most desired school districts, and we have a lot of desired school districts.
All the districts around us do something called "school of choice" so if you live in one district but want your kids to go to school in another you just have to fill out the form and hope the school you want has a spot available. Each school has a certain amount of spots available for "school of choice" kids. Even with that though it is not guaranteed you child/children will get in, one of the main reasons we did not look at houses in school districts where we did not want our kids to go.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 03-28-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Where I live, you can't do that. The address used to determine the child's school must be the address where the child sleeps at night. If they find out your real address isn't in the district for that school, you can (will) be kicked out and will have to go to the right school. I had this happen with a student when I was teaching - mom used the address for a house they owned but did not live in - no can do. Kids let things slip all the time, so at some point the school would find out and could take action if they wanted to.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #24
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

What about open enrollment? It's usually in February but I would check with your district. The one you want. I don't see how it would be necessary to rent. The more kids enrolled at a school the more funding they receive.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'mommakaye
What about open enrollment? It's usually in February but I would check with your district. The one you want. I don't see how it would be necessary to rent. The more kids enrolled at a school the more funding they receive.
Ahh just read replies.
I wouldn't rent a place and keep it empty I would look into open enrollment through.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've heard of people buying condos where we used to live for the address. We live in the best district in the city, and a lot of people want their kids to go there. I don't know what would happen if they got caught, though. But, if their name is on the deed and utilities, it might be legal. Maybe you could call anonymously.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

No, I wouldn't. Honestly, it seems rather silly to me, unless both parents have to work to make ends meet. I don't see how it would save any money, though I suppose there could be cases of it. If moving wasn't an option and I felt the schools were truly that terrible, I would homeschool.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
I'd probably make friends with someone in that school district and use their address
That doesn't work here. You have to also show a minimum of 2 utility bills in your name for the address in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom
Some schools allow for a transfer request - I'm assuming it's not an option and you've probably already looked into this . . .
Our district "allows" transfers if there is room, but it's overcrowded to begin with so it rarely happens. Also, if it were to be granted one year, you have to reapply every year and I would be uncomfortable with my odds of being able to stay in my non-zoned school.

OP, my sister used to be a teacher and people did this at her school. I personally don't know anyone who has done it, and if I were in that situation, I'd probably do it.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We may face this dilemma. We are living in the family homestead in a very good school district right now. Ordinarily, a person would be happy with the district. It isn't the absolute top tier public school in the area, it's just under that. However, my husband's high school alma mater is called City Honors, the place to test into and attend if you are an accelerated student. It's in the city of Buffalo. We won't be selling our home, like ever, but would like our daughter to have the best chance at a full scholarship as possible. Bla, this is a hand wringer for me. Mil lives in the city, but I'm not feeling the love for 4 years of cloak and dagger.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I would not. My mom works for a school district and I've never paid much attention to all the laws and such. But at least here, you cannot use an address just to get into a school. You must attend where your primary residence is UNLESS you apply for and are granted a transfer. The school districts here are required by law to release a student from the district of residence and you are allowed to apply for out of district enrollment to any school of your choice. Provided they have room and you can't a deliquent, you can be granted enrollment. Using someone else's address, like a friend or something, is a big big no-no and you can get in trouble for it. I don't know how all the funding works, but it makes school districts absolutely crazy when parents do it.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote