Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Question Doctor question

Ok, update with info: Last November I saw a dentist, we worked out a treatment plan in writing. Planing/scaling of most of my teeth. I signed it, spoke to the billing/scheduling ladies about insurance and preauths and we sent in a pre-approval. Which was declined, but nobody called me. I got the notice in the mail several weeks later. I had already scheduled for an appointment to start this, so I called the office and told them and asked for another appt to get what the insurance requested, more information. It's now December. They brought me in for more xrays and said they'd resubmit it. They did, and again it was denied. Not a word from the doctor's office. Now January. I called the insurance MYSELF, again, to find out why and what could be done. Nothing really. Basically my teeth have to be falling out of my head before before they will approve the procedure. I've heard nothing from this doctor's office. They've been great with my family thus far but I feel that they have 110% dropped the ball with me. We are double-covered and pay the remainder of our bill in cash, on time. You would think that a family of 6 with a great payment history like that would be a priority. I need this cleaning done. But I want to make it very clear that they screwed this up, big time. How would you go about doing that without being a big ole *B* because right now, that's what I want to do.

I'm going to purposely be vague, and I'll give the story later but for now I want unbiased opinions. If you see your doctor, and agree on a treatment plan for something, how much do you expect of your doctor to set it into motion and do you expect your doctor to contact you while this is being worked out or do you expect to be pursuing most of the contact doctor to patient? Lets assume this doctor has more than adequate staff and is not overbooked.

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-28-2013 at 09:21 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doctor question

Unless they told me I needed to be doing stuff myself I would expect them to make arrangements.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Helloloni
Registered Users
seller

I agree that the doctor should make arrangements, however, we need to be our own advocates for our well being - doing research, asking questions, making calls, etc.
Helloloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I definitely agree with being an advocate for your healthcare needs. It's important to be informed and knowledgeable about what's going on. At the same time, if someone says they're going to do something, I expect it to be done. If things aren't being arranged efficiently, I would complain to the office manager or even the doctor. I'm on an HMO and needed a referral last year and even though the clinic my PCP is at is super busy, arrangements were made very quickly and efficiently. I would have been on their butts if it hadn't been.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also agree with the above. Ours handles all referrals and they are small office. They call with results and next step type stuff. If it requires additional stuff (new ref, new meds ect) they take care of meds before they call. New ref they check with me, but get it immediately. Went through this last year with my back. I went in, they sent me to pt. They don't check in with me. Going good and I screw up. Go back, they send me back to pt. PT isn't helping this time so they send me to MRI. Results indicate I need surgery, they call me tell me get the ok to refer. The an hour later the surgeons office calls to schedule an appt. Doc does not follow up but sets everything up. I don't expect doc to initiate follow up though, that is my responsibility. My kids doc does initiate follow up but my doc expects me to call them with follow up stuff. And calling is fine, I don't have to schedule another appointment unless I really need to be seen by my doc.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I expect them to handle all things they need to do to do their job. For my CT scans I see it as a curtisy for them to make the appointments for me, but I wouldn't normally expect that if I were to go elsewhere. However something like my treatment plan for my radiation that I received, I expected my radiation oncologist to figure out my treatment plan, but I was expected to contact my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) and my Peri to see if they wanted to add anything to my treatment plan. I did both within 24 hours of learning that he was going to get started on my treatment plan.

Right now I am in a very high risk pregnancy (both for my son and me). I am doing my best to coordinate care between the 3 doctors currently in charge of me, but I also expect my doctor who is delivering me, to look out for the things I don't know about, or get help where she needs it. Yesterday I actually talked to all three of them about a small issue I was having.

So my bottom line is, it depends on what treatment it is, and how complicated it is.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dp
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I always just ask... When my doctor says maybe we should do this or try this - I will respond okay, should I make an appointment for that or will you refer me? How would we go about that?

I have said those same lines a million times... I am kinda suprised at everyones answers. Doctors have so many patients and even with a nurse or two helping them it is hardly enough - people are calling them here and there and pulling them left and right. I would not expect anything from anyone unless the came right out and said "I will do this" - even then I would probably call and check up! haha
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

bump with added info.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I would find a new dentist. Maybe even an oral surgeon (may be a wrong term there but this sounds like more then just a simple dental procedure) given how much work needs to be done.

Short of that I think you have a right to be a bit B* at this point. That isn't right what they have done to you!