View Poll Results: When do you recommend putting a lid on the thumb?
Don't let your kid thumbsuck ever 6 16.22%
Step in before the 1st birthday 4 10.81%
Sometime between the 1st and 2nd birthday 5 13.51%
Between the 2nd and 3rd birthday 9 24.32%
Between the 3rd and 4th birthday 5 13.51%
After the 4th birthday 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to intervene with thumbsucking?

I sucked my thumb until 6. I told my mom I was going to stop and I did. I had to be ready. I remember telling her I was done. I also remember them trying all kinds of things to get me to stop, but I just wasn't ready.

My dd is 4.5 and still sucks her thumb. I've been gently reminding her to only do it when she's tired or sad for now. We'll probably get more serious about it when she's 6. I will not get an appliance for her. I had braces for 4 years and had a really messed up mouth, but the thumb sucking was never blamed.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I had this done to me at 8 and I still remember it. I cried hysterically for weeks, refused to eat, wouldn't speak to my mother... It was bad. My mom eventually took me back to the dentist and said that it wasn't worth having straight teeth if I was so distraught all the time.

I really hope your daughter can stop on her own before getting the appliance, or at least that she reacts well to it.

These memories are part of why I want to step in before he is 2. I don't want him to remember sobbing for hours over something that brings him soo much comfort and joy. And at 8 I knew full we'll that my mom and dentist had conspired to do this to me, that they physically screwed something into my mouth to take away something I loved.
Hers isn't about straight teeth any more, she is doing damage that is affecting her speech. The dr told me what it is called and I can't remember. He is also very conservative though, he has said we were putting it in the last two times we have gone in to see him in the last 1 1/2 years. I agree though, I hope she stops before hand, I don't want to deal with it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Hers isn't about straight teeth any more, she is doing damage that is affecting her speech. The dr told me what it is called and I can't remember. He is also very conservative though, he has said we were putting it in the last two times we have gone in to see him in the last 1 1/2 years. I agree though, I hope she stops before hand, I don't want to deal with it.

Your post just provided me with a revelation: I was in speech therapy for 10 years. I was a thumb addict, and from 3 to 13 my speech was basically unintelligible. Honest to god this is the very first time I considered the possibility that it was due to thumb sucking. Wow.

You know, I've often wondered if archeologists have seen signs of ancient cultures that promoted thumb sucking into adulthood? It's such a wonderful, soothing thing, I like to imagine a whole society of cave dwellers that could be off warring with clubs and sticks, but they find it so much nicer to lay in the sun and suck a thumb.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

P.S. OH MY GOSH! I just noticed that my avitar is my son with a thumb in his mouth!

Just.... ugh
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 2YO thumbsucker + blanky toucher
and a 33YO fingersucker + blanky toucher

DD only sucks her thumb when she's tired or really upset. It seems to go hand-in-hand (LOL) with the blanky - she will rarely suck w/o blanky, or hold blanky w/o going for the thumb.

(read the above again, substituting "index finger" for "thumb" and "TV remote/iPhone" for "blanky" lol that is DH).

I think we will do what my friend did: At a certain age they started saying that blanky can't leave the house, blanky can't leave the bedroom, blanky can't leave the bed, etc. That will limit the thumbsucking quite a bit.

Just saw the poll, looks like we missed the boat on the 1-2 years thing. Crud.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
P.S. OH MY GOSH! I just noticed that my avitar is my son with a thumb in his mouth!

Just.... ugh
I love your avi. It reminds me of my 5yo when he was a babe. He is still a thumbsucker

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I voted never because that was basically what I did. When I would see my kiddos thumb in their mouth I would feel guilty for some dumb reason and think I wasn't breastfeeding them enough. So I would offer to nurse. My kiddo of course took me up on this offer. They never did get into thumb sucking. However that may not necessarily be attributed to my insanity. It may just be the way they are as neither I nor any of my siblings nor my husband were thumb suckers. My husband's sister was but she was the only one.

Honestly though I have no clue when to cut baby off from his or her thumb. I guess if it isn't affecting their teetg wouldn't worry about it. If it is I guess the sooner the better.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I voted never because that was basically what I did. When I would see my kiddos thumb in their mouth I would feel guilty for some dumb reason and think I wasn't breastfeeding them enough. So I would offer to nurse. My kiddo of course took me up on this offer. They never did get into thumb sucking. However that may not necessarily be attributed to my insanity. It may just be the way they are as neither I nor any of my siblings nor my husband were thumb suckers. My husband's sister was but she was the only one.
To the bolded, I used to try this too, but I had an amazing supply and a baby with a very small apetite, so whenever I tried to comfort nurse he would end up choking on breast milk and spitting up 5 minutes later. Not very comforting I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Honestly though I have no clue when to cut baby off from his or her thumb. I guess if it isn't affecting their teetg wouldn't worry about it. If it is I guess the sooner the better.
Yeah most sites say not to bother about it until it affects their teeth, but I distinctly remember the constant war over my thumb and knowing that my parents and I were on opposite sides. Part of me wants to be sneaky and put a little drop of that thumb goo on there before he's old enough to make the connection between me and taste, or worse realize that I want to take away his favorite friend.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I am curious how you plan to intervene? Just remove the thumb? What about at night when you are sleeping?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
To the bolded, I used to try this too, but I had an amazing supply and a baby with a very small apetite, so whenever I tried to comfort nurse he would end up choking on breast milk and spitting up 5 minutes later. Not very comforting I guess.

Yeah most sites say not to bother about it until it affects their teeth, but I distinctly remember the constant war over my thumb and knowing that my parents and I were on opposite sides. Part of me wants to be sneaky and put a little drop of that thumb goo on there before he's old enough to make the connection between me and taste, or worse realize that I want to take away his favorite friend.

Could it be you were so attatched because they were so desperate to stop you from thumb sucking?