View Poll Results: When do you recommend putting a lid on the thumb?
Don't let your kid thumbsuck ever 6 16.22%
Step in before the 1st birthday 4 10.81%
Sometime between the 1st and 2nd birthday 5 13.51%
Between the 2nd and 3rd birthday 9 24.32%
Between the 3rd and 4th birthday 5 13.51%
After the 4th birthday 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When to intervene with thumbsucking?

My DS will be 3 in about 3 months. We haven't done anything to encourage him to stop. His dentist has mentioned it at every appointment since he was 18M old. This last time (at 2.5) she said we really needed to try to get him to stop even though he only sucks his thumb if he gets upset or when he is going to sleep. She also encouraged us to take away his blankie!!! I guess we'll have to try something at some point, but right now I feel like it is ok since he doesn't do it all the time.

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 wore "thumbshooters" a little fabric thumb glove for 6 days when he was about 5.5yo. We had talked about how he was a big boy and old enough to not need to suck his thumb (both his younger brothers still sucked their thumbs then and still do). We made it a big, exciting thing. After 6 days, he was done sucking and has never looked back. It wasn't a struggle, we didn't have conflict, he wasn't stressed. For him, it was just like a reflex when he would watch a movie or lay down, the thumb went it. With the glove on, he was like "YUCK" and pulled it right out. I have no idea when we'll do the same with the 5 yo and 3.5yo. The 5 yo only sucks when very sleepy and in bed.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Personally I wouldn't intervene other than saying no thumb sucking in public but I was a thumbsucker until 12. None of my kids are thumbsuckers.

My sister is 24 years old, a teacher, and still sucks her thumb. She even does it while driving. She has cut it back a ton in the last couple of years but not completely.

I do have screwed up teeth/jaw and it is partially because of thumbsucking but not completely. DS has my same jaw issue and he never sucked his thumb. He was born with it, as was I. Thumbsucking just didn't help the situation.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #34
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 9 yr old still sucks his thumb and is a hard core thumb sucker and hair twirler. Doesn't matter who he is next to, me, baby, 3 yr old, 7 yr old.....he will twirl their hair and drive us all crazy.

I knew at age 3 that he would need braces......the only difference would be if he stopped now(at 3) it would be for less time. But since then the duration of brace wearing has shortened so who knows. Mainly he just has overbite and gap.

3 year old also sucks his thumb but to a much lesser extent, only when tired and with blankee.

Other two don't. One by choice, the other I really really tried to make him go with paci instead. I also tried with the 3 year old, tons of brands, but NO, he found his thumb anyway.

Nephew stopped by sleeping with a glove over his hand. Nice low cost option to try before some of the more expensive options out there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and funnily enough two of my guys do speech.....but not the hard core thumb sucker!

Also funny is that the letter T was the easiest one for them to master. Got it on the first week literally. But I do know the S and maybe some other letters are affected if there is a gap between the teeth.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #36
moni1234
Registered Users

A really nice product that I used for my little princess was called Glovey Huggey; really not expensive and I let her pick out the gloves as to involve her. We ended up by 4 pair, so that her other 3 BFFs could wear them.

Best part they worked, oh and they toss the cutest free monkey gloveyhuggey.com
Good luck
moni1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

DD was a thumbsucker and her ped and her dentist told me no more thumb at her 3 year old well checks. The dentist explained that the big concern is not that it will make her teeth funny (those can be fixed with braces) but that sucking a thumb can actually change the shape of the roof of your mouth.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #38
moni1234
Registered Users

I would stop the thumb sucking as soon as possible. Our doctor told us that its fine until 4, it won't do any damage.

Well now at 6, his teeth are not coming in straight and the dentist asked if he sucked his thumb!

I say stop it as soon as you can. Tucker was a little under 4 when we tried to get him to stop & that took about 3 months. Finally found these spiderman looking gloves that help kids remind them not to thumb suck & he loved them.

Good luck!
Oh, the gloves are called glovey huggey
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #39
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids dentist tells me around 4 is a good time, however she also said that Braces later are way cheaper than a therapist when they are older LOL.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #40
moni1234
Registered Users

Stop the Thumbsucking!!! Warning moms, from another mom. Thumb sucking will mess up your child's teeth and it also effects their chin development. Our son won't talk all day because he just wanted to suck his thumb and we had the hardest time.

So if you can, I would start probably a little before 2. Good luck