View Poll Results: When do you recommend putting a lid on the thumb?
Don't let your kid thumbsuck ever 6 16.22%
Step in before the 1st birthday 4 10.81%
Sometime between the 1st and 2nd birthday 5 13.51%
Between the 2nd and 3rd birthday 9 24.32%
Between the 3rd and 4th birthday 5 13.51%
After the 4th birthday 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #41
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to intervene with thumbsucking?

my sis was 11. I told her I was going off to college and had to be a big girl so she did too, and she stopped. the nasty tasting stuff my mom tried, she just sucked it off.

4 of mine sucked their thumbs randomly as babies (I loved seeing it!) but they all stopped before a few months. It wouldn't have bothered me :shrug:. If it provides security and comfort, unless I can help them come up with another substitute they find acceptable, I don't think it's *my* habit to break.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #42
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

God took care of thumb sucking with my son. He was an AVID thumb sucker. He always had that thing in his mouth. Then when I was in cancer treatments (he was between 15 and 18 months old) he fell down and injured his sucking thumb. I felt AWFUL for him but he couldn't suck it for 3 days and would SCREAM in pain whenever he tried. After that he didn't need his thumb anymore and his language EXPLODED.

While I wouldn't recommend anyone hurts their child, this is what ended up working for us. And no I didn't injure his thumb. He was walking over to the TV where we had a plexiglass guard up so he couldn't play with the buttons and he tripped and that thumb (likely softened skin from his thumb sucking) caught on that guard and injured it. I was RIGHT there but couldn't get to him in time.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #43
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Hers isn't about straight teeth any more, she is doing damage that is affecting her speech. The dr told me what it is called and I can't remember. He is also very conservative though, he has said we were putting it in the last two times we have gone in to see him in the last 1 1/2 years. I agree though, I hope she stops before hand, I don't want to deal with it.

My daughter had a pacifier way too long. It caused her to use her tongue in a way that continued to push her front teeth and jaw out farther and farther,,, long after she gave up the pacifier. She had this cute little lisp that by 1st grade wasn't so cute anymore. The dentist said "It's not a lisp, it's tongue thrusting".

In fifth grade, kids were teasing her about her front teeth. I noticed it in a picture during summer vacation.

We went in for her braces. They had to use a spreader at the top of her mouth, pistons on both lower jaws, and then the regular braces. She was in lots of pain, and she had to give up her instrument for the year. (switched to drums for a year until her spreader and pistons were removed)

She still would have needed braces if i'd taken the pacifier away, but not likely the other things. Definitely not the pistons for her lower jaw. That was caused by the tongue thrusting that was caused by excessive pacifier use.

I see a lot of problems now with excessive sippy cup use too. (other kids) but, I don't see as many with thumb sucking as I do with the pacifier.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cracks me up when random posters who never have posted before suddenly have tons of info about a particular product that can "help"......

People.....we can check your previous posts and see the product being plugged over and over, lol......

Really bad pr for the product..............
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #45
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I would need to make my own glove since all the gloves on the market are sized for children over 2, so I might to that.

I was considering the Mavala product that paints a nasty taste onto the thumb, but I just read many reviews saying that it made their child vomit... and all these parents gave it 5 stars! How can you give 5 stars to a product that makes your child gag and throw up!?!?
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #46
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I would need to make my own glove since all the gloves on the market are sized for children over 2, so I might to that.

I was considering the Mavala product that paints a nasty taste onto the thumb, but I just read many reviews saying that it made their child vomit... and all these parents gave it 5 stars! How can you give 5 stars to a product that makes your child gag and throw up!?!?
Those cheapo magic gloves tend to run really small, you could even shrink in the dryer too.

I remember the nasty paint stuff too.....we were probably all sucking on toxic stuff back in the day.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

We tried THUM with dd last year. I put it on, 10 minutes later shes sucking away. I asked if it tasted funny, she says "sorta, but its not that bad. If I suck a little long the weird tastes usually go away." OMG, gag worthy response since that was the only time we tried nasty tasting stuff. Apparently other nasty tastes have been present on their own and she just didn't care what it was.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #48
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #49
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
Cracks me up when random posters who never have posted before suddenly have tons of info about a particular product that can "help"......

People.....we can check your previous posts and see the product being plugged over and over, lol......

Really bad pr for the product..............
Lol I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing some people just google "thumb sucking" and "forum" all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
Those cheapo magic gloves tend to run really small, you could even shrink in the dryer too.

I remember the nasty paint stuff too.....we were probably all sucking on toxic stuff back in the day.
Yeah it seems silly to spend 20-30 dollars on a thumb glove. I have some mittens that fit and I'm thinking of just cutting off the hand part.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #50
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
We tried THUM with dd last year. I put it on, 10 minutes later shes sucking away. I asked if it tasted funny, she says "sorta, but its not that bad. If I suck a little long the weird tastes usually go away." OMG, gag worthy response since that was the only time we tried nasty tasting stuff. Apparently other nasty tastes have been present on their own and she just didn't care what it was.
I could totally see my DS1 doing the same thing, lol....

Quote:
Lol I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing some people just google "thumb sucking" and "forum" all day long.

Yeah it seems silly to spend 20-30 dollars on a thumb glove. I have some mittens that fit and I'm thinking of just cutting off the hand part.
Yep....it just backfires as it's SO obvious and then puts me off the product.

I was thinking too that I have toddler mittens too that have a size appropriate thumb. Those are hard to find too....

Think you guys have given me the push to start on my two thumb suckers. DS1 is old enough to know too. Maybe if the two of them do it together it will help as I bet the 3 yr old would give it up easier than the 9 year old. I will give them a few more weeks as we move house/state on Friday and that is traumatic/big change enough for them. Maybe end of April....