Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Take your child to a birthday party that went from 6-8pm on a Friday? A five year old child, whose regular bed time is 8? What if I mentioned that it's at a place that has three of those inflatable activity jumper slide dealies? And your 3 (almost 4) year old will be devastated if you don't bring him too, and he has a tendency to super melt down when tired? What if I add that the flow at this place is jump for an hour and a half, then cake and gifts?

Does anyone else see disaster all over this? Or am I too pessimistic? I'm thinking we will pass on this party.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dory; 03-28-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: would you. . .

How old is the birthday kid? Will most of the kids be older?
I agree it has disaster written all over it. However, I would go under the following circumstances (all must be met, not one or the other):
-We had nothing planned the following day
-It was a very dear friend, either of mine or DC's. If it's a relation, it must be a relation that I also consider a friend.
-A majority of the other kids were about the same age, so that everyone melts down, and my kid's meltdown would not be noticed especially, out of the screaming, hysterical mass chaos that will ensue.
-I knew there was wine waiting at home.

Let us know what you decide (and how you decline, if you do)!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I would. I wouldn't even consider not going unless someone is sick.

Normal bedtime at our house for my 4 and 6 year old is 8-8:30pm. They are both fine staying up later and do on many occasions. They would be perfectly fine.

As for the little brother, I would leave him home and have something special planed for him, even if it something simple and a new game on my tablet or an extra cartoon.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds fine to me, but I don't have any kids that would have a meltdown over a slight schedule change. If we are going to be coming home after normal bedtime, I often just bring pajamas and get them ready for bed before driving home.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't have a 5 year old, but I'd take my 3 year old. He has a consistent bed time but does fine staying up later, especially if there's something fun going on. I'd scrape the frosting off his cake, though.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would still go but leave the younger kid at home with the 'promise' to go to the bounce place at another time.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
How old is the birthday kid? Will most of the kids be older?
I agree it has disaster written all over it. However, I would go under the following circumstances (all must be met, not one or the other):
-We had nothing planned the following day
-It was a very dear friend, either of mine or DC's. If it's a relation, it must be a relation that I also consider a friend.
-A majority of the other kids were about the same age, so that everyone melts down, and my kid's meltdown would not be noticed especially, out of the screaming, hysterical mass chaos that will ensue.
-I knew there was wine waiting at home.

Let us know what you decide (and how you decline, if you do)!
This exactly!!! Also, I don't have a child this age. So take that with a grain of salt. And every kid does differently with going to bed late, settling down after playing, etc.
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Yes, of course. Staying up a little later and having sweets, kiddo will still be wiped out from all the bouncing. And if not, well it's a rare special treat and the sugar will wear off soon. I also don't think siblings should be catered to for things like this. Those places charge per head, families generally can't afford to include siblings of the invited kids.

Take the younger one another day, and let the 5 yr old enjoy being a big kid one night.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Probably. DP worked a middle school fun night last Friday. She was supposed to work 4-7pm. DD, 3yrs, is usually in bed by 7:30. So DP proposed that she pick DD up from DC, grab her a happy meal, then let her come to fun night...DP was working in the "dance room", so DD would have fun. No problemo, I could use the quiet time. I think they go home at 8:20 or something like that. It was really fine, even though DD is pretty routine-dependent. Now, she has been reluctant to go to bed early this week, which makes her a bear in the morning & then subsequently naughty right before nap time, but I blame a lot of that on our laziness about really, seriously getting her to bed early this week, even though we say we're going to every night.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'd go- you can always give your kid 1/2 the piece of cake and take the other 1/2 home. I always pack jammies if we're going to be out past bedtime, that way they can crash on the way home.