Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: House guests and toiletries

I'm happy to share shampoo, soap, etc, but toothpaste is a bit too intimate for me.

We always bring our own stuff when we stay with people.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

We bring our own toiletries, since I know they won't make us break out. I always let our guests use what we have.

A funny thing happened the last time FIL came to visit though. We were running low on shampoo and he notified us of that. I said it wasn't a big deal since we still have the kids shampoo and that it worked just as well as the adult stuff. He got really huffy that we didn't immediately go out and buy 'adult' shampoo. I explained that everything locally made DH and I break out in sores on our scalps and I had to order if off of Amazon or Frontier because nobody carried anything locally. We were just going to use the kids stuff until it came in.

That didn't sit well with him and he kept pushing the issue. We weren't going to go out and buy a jug of shampoo that wouldn't get used but once, and told him that if he was that upset we could go down to the store and he could pick up some stuff and take it home with him. He was really upset with us about it though, and thought it highly insulting that we didn't have adult shampoo for guests to use.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 03-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
DiannaVB
Registered Users
seller

We always have a basket of hotel soap, shampoo, and conditioner. We also have sealed toothbrushes and travel size toothpaste and floss that we get free every dentist visit available to guests.
DiannaVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
We bring our own toiletries, since I know they won't make us break out. I always let our guests use what we have.

A funny thing happened the last time FIL came to visit though. We were running low on shampoo and he notified us of that. I said it wasn't a big deal since we still have the kids shampoo and that it worked just as well as the adult stuff. He got really huffy that we didn't immediately go out and buy 'adult' shampoo. I explained that everything locally made DH and I break out in sores on our scalps and I had to order if off of Amazon or Frontier because nobody carried anything locally. We were just going to use the kids stuff until it came in.

That didn't sit well with him and he kept pushing the issue. We weren't going to go out and buy a jug of shampoo that wouldn't get used but once, and told him that if he was that upset we could go down to the store and he could pick up some stuff and take it home with him. He was really upset with us about it though, and thought it highly insulting that we didn't have adult shampoo for guests to use.
He is as crazy as a bed bug. Next time maybe he should stay in a hotel. That way he can have all the adult shampoo he wants.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
He is as crazy as a bed bug. Next time maybe he should stay in a hotel. That way he can have all the adult shampoo he wants.
Whew! I thought it was a little bizarre that he would be making such a big deal. If your that particular you might want to bring your own, right? What if we were no-poo people? Or only used kids shampoo to make things simple? It had me wondering the same thing about guests and toiletries, what we expect vs. what we get.

What really cracked me up is when we stayed with him, he only had 2 towels, both were ones he used and didn't want to share. DH and I went out and bought a towel to use. How common is that? You don't usually bring towels when you visit other peoples houses do you?

Would you feel more insulted if somebody simply didn't have it/used and alternate to what you were used to or simply didn't share?
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I bring my own toothbrush, paste, sunblock, comb and medications (advil etc)
I expect to share soap and shampoo.
I pack the exact same to stay at my parents as a hotel
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I expect them to bring theirs and we always bring ours. I mean if they forget then they can have some of ours. The exception is when I go visit my mom with my girls. She's just always had baby wash, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and even a blow dryer there for us. But that's my mom.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 03-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take what I need because I have my own particular brands I like. People are welcome to use what we have, though, doesn't really matter to me. I won't buy their brands to accommodate them, though. That's crazy and I would end up with a bunch of stuff I won't use.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids
I take what I need because I have my own particular brands I like. People are welcome to use what we have, though, doesn't really matter to me. I won't buy their brands to accommodate them, though. That's crazy and I would end up with a bunch of stuf I won't use.
Yeah I put an extra bar of soap and some hotel shampoo in the guest bathroom. I'm not going beyond that and I never use other people's stuff. Except at my mom's.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I provide shampoo and body wash for visitors. They're just in the guest bathroom medicine cabinet (so DD doesn't play with them when we have no guests).

As for what I do when going elsewhere? I bring my own. If stuff is there and convenient, I might use it. I might not.