Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

What do you do with the stuff...

I figured this was the best place to ask this question, even though I am not minimalist...

When you have stuff to sell, be it at a garage sale, on CL or whatever, what do you do with it while you are waiting for it to leave your house? My current solution is a box under my work table in my craft/sewing room. It's not working for me. What do you do with it in the meantime?

And same goes for trash...I have a couple of big items to trash, stuff that is broken, but doesn't break down easily, and I am not sure where to put them. The reality is that I have been shuffling them around the house and every trash day they get forgotten because they aren't with the rest of the trash.

Where do you keep this stuff that doesn't belong in your house but is just waiting to be moved out?

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you do with the stuff...

Trash I put it outside by the trashcan, because really who cares if it gets ruined. Then every trash day the can gets filled to the brink before it's put on the curb. Other stuff, I have a box behind my couch it goes in. It's out of sight out of mind, but if it's not gone with in a week or two of listing it it gets donated. About once a month or so I go through the pile back there and bag stuff up for hubby to drop off.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

I take trash to the trash can outside.

I keep a box under my bed (my bed is high off the ground). When that is full I put it by the front door and when I feel I have enough I take it to the store. Also when i see it i get happy and end up purging more. If I had a garage I would make a specific spot in the garage for it.
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Stuff that I'm selling is stored in the garage. Donations are in a few places. On the kitchen or in a box in the garage. For bigger items that need to be trashed, but are large, I do it bit by bit. I keep it outside by the garbage so I don't forget. Then each week, I break off a bit to stuff in the van. I'm doing this with a small, cheapo cabinet right now. Last week I ripped off one of the doors. Did another door this morning. I need to go stomp it down and break out the hammer for the last bit. I've also heaved items above my head, and thrown them down forcefully and repeatedly to smash them to smithereens. It was rather fun, actually
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Also, many places you can schedule an extra pickup, or your regular pickup will take "extra" items for a fee. I'd call your city and ask.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I can sell something easily for more than about $10 I'll try selling it on craigslist or ebay. If it's less than that then I just donate it. It's really important to keep as many things out of the landfill as possible and get things directly to people that use it. I try to avoid goodwill donations as much as possible because I know they are just looking for the things they can make a quick buck on, and a lot of what they get ends up in the landfill.

I've given away so much and sold a ton that I've got a pretty good idea of how and where to list it. So pricing it correctly and giving enough accurate info and having good pictures is important. Usually things sell within a few days, so I don't mind if I've got a pile of ever changing sale items on the floor in the office. Bigger stuff is outside on the covered patio. On the rare occasion that I just can't give something away (freecycle people are awesome about re-purposing things), I set it next to the garbage can and slowly disassemble it and feed it to the garbage each week. I also luck out that my parents have a dumpster behind their store (do you know anyone with access to a dumpster? ). My friend lives in an apartment complex and will offer to haul things to his apartment dumpster too.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

We have a expedit tv stand. I only sell as much as fits in both bins at a time the rest goes in the attic.

I list my items for sale , if not out at the end of the month I give them away to other families. With the rare exception of high valued items.

Trash we have a trash room so any excess can go down there near our can.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

I have actually been thinking about this recently. I have a sunroom that we go in and out of....I was thinking about putting a large box of some sort out there, so I can keep things in it to take when it's full!
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I take trash outside, we don't have a limit on number of bags or anything. If we did have a lot and it wasn't gross I could make dp throw it in the car and take it directly to the dump.

We don't usually have much garbage.
Donation stuff sits in bags by the bottom step until I can get someone to come get it. It usually only takes a couple of days from packing up til gone. I have another 4 bags right now.

I am stopping selling things. There is no pile for that. It just isn't worth my time/space. I am buying less and we are using things to the ground. That way I don't feel guilty trying to get money from something.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a tub or bag for donation in the entryway all the time. Sometimes it's overflowing, but we keep it all together.
Stuff to sell has been piled on the corner of our couch for months, but I finally cleared out a shelf in the laundry room to use for that.
Extra garbage (we have a one-bin limit in our area) goes in contractor bags in the garage until we can get to the dump.
We just got a couple cheap Ikea laundry-hanging bars and put them up (way up) in the garage for off-season clothes and consignment clothes. We use cheap plastic garment protectors.