Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Post Re: Names = Personality??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
Well I hope no one gets offended. It's clear (to me anyway) that you are saying what you have experienced and not that you think all people named *insertname* are horrible people or anything.

I actually have had that experience, though never with the name Kelly. With me it was a very popular name when I was growing up, and yes, I have met a few very nice people with this name but I think the negative people (3 individuals) stand out way more because they weren't just negative they were really awful. The name is Heather. And again, I absolutely do not think anyone with that name is a bad person, nor do I form any biased opinions from past experiences upon meeting a person with this name. Just that I have noticed that three really not so great people I have encountered in my life happen to have the same name.
Totally OT but you mentioned three mean Heathers and now I want to watch the Christian Slater/Winona Ryder/Shannen Doherty movie...

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Names = Personality??

Not really, but my husband is convinced that anyone named Jennifer is batpoopcraycray.

To the Jennifers out there, don't shoot the messenger, and I think he probably had an ex-girlfriend named Jennifer that went craycray on him because he was probably a jerk.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

FWIW, I know one drama Kelly, and all the other Kelly's I know have a zen-like calm (thoughtful, creative types). And all the Amber's I've known have been nice and a bit hippie.

Sociologists could wax eloquent about how it is in our nature to find patterns and group. We do it all the time subconsciously and occasionally consciously. Indeed, a lot of why we choose the names we do for our kids is either that we know nice people who have a certain name or we know terribly difficult people who have another name that we want to avoid. But everyone's groupings will be different. We may also start to feel, for instance, that names with a vowel sound followed by a consonant sound or a consonant followed by a vowel sound or one simple syllable represent certain personalities. Likewise, we may feel a certain way about what a person is likely to be like based upon which syllables are accented. We may make these subtle phonic groupings without being conscious of it, as we are always trying to assimilate information and divide it into the simplest possible common denominators. I found it very interesting that one of my sister-in-laws was very consciously aware in naming her girls that there was only one syllabic combination she liked for girls (soft vowel then hard consonant); I don't think it is that conscious for most people. To her "ear" and experience starting w/ a hard syllable suggested a domineering woman (lol, she did make an exception for me, I hope, as I am hard-soft-soft), but soft and hard suggested grace twinned with strength.

Grouping itself is inevitable and morally neutral. Of course, one of the places where our grouping gets more demonstratively prejudicial and is more apt to oppress and harm others or simply to keep us a bit relationally distant from others is when we acquire grouping characteristics for the races, the sexes, the socio-economic divides, etc. Those large, general groupings will easily get out of hand in how they direct our responses to others. As a general rule they make it easy for us to process complex social situations but also make it hard for us to see the individual or to reach out to people who are less like our group.

My 2, lol.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Most of the Heather's I knew/know are very nice people. I honestly don't think I knew any Amber's and Kelly's only in couple classes maybe in the past.

What sucks is when you meet someone new and they have names that you don't necessary associate as good ones from the past. Takes awhile to get passed it.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Brandy's. All of them so far. I used to have an overabundance of Melissa's, but I've met a few in the last few years that are starting to even the score back to neutral.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
FWIW, I know one drama Kelly, and all the other Kelly's I know have a zen-like calm (thoughtful, creative types). And all the Amber's I've known have been nice and a bit hippie.

Sociologists could wax eloquent about how it is in our nature to find patterns and group. We do it all the time subconsciously and occasionally consciously. Indeed, a lot of why we choose the names we do for our kids is either that we know nice people who have a certain name or we know terribly difficult people who have another name that we want to avoid. But everyone's groupings will be different. We may also start to feel, for instance, that names with a vowel sound followed by a consonant sound or a consonant followed by a vowel sound or one simple syllable represent certain personalities. Likewise, we may feel a certain way about what a person is likely to be like based upon which syllables are accented. We may make these subtle phonic groupings without being conscious of it, as we are always trying to assimilate information and divide it into the simplest possible common denominators. I found it very interesting that one of my sister-in-laws was very consciously aware in naming her girls that there was only one syllabic combination she liked for girls (soft vowel then hard consonant); I don't think it is that conscious for most people. To her "ear" and experience starting w/ a hard syllable suggested a domineering woman (lol, she did make an exception for me, I hope, as I am hard-soft-soft), but soft and hard suggested grace twinned with strength.

Grouping itself is inevitable and morally neutral. Of course, one of the places where our grouping gets more demonstratively prejudicial and is more apt to oppress and harm others or simply to keep us a bit relationally distant from others is when we acquire grouping characteristics for the races, the sexes, the socio-economic divides, etc. Those large, general groupings will easily get out of hand in how they direct our responses to others. As a general rule they make it easy for us to process complex social situations but also make it hard for us to see the individual or to reach out to people who are less like our group.

My 2, lol.
WOW!! That was very nicely put and very easy to understand. Also very informative and interesting.
Thank you
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom
Not really, but my husband is convinced that anyone named Jennifer is batpoopcraycray.

To the Jennifers out there, don't shoot the messenger, and I think he probably had an ex-girlfriend named Jennifer that went craycray on him because he was probably a jerk.
Oh, you know we're absolutely batpoopcraycray.

[Yes, I'm a Jennifer IRL].

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
universe2
Registered Users
seller

....*sniff sniff* my name is Kelly!

haha JK BUT I do know 2 Kellys both are actually very nice a sweet ladies

=) but that's so crazy you know 3 women like that! i'd be so creeped out hahah
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
WOW!! That was very nicely put and very easy to understand. Also very informative and interesting.
Thank you
Haha. I have a strong didactic streak. Thanks for indulging it .
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Between my sister and I we know 5 Heather's that we feel are our respective crosses to bear, and we reference them as my Heather, your Heather, SIL's Heather, Heather that works with ____ and Heather we went to school with... For what it's worth, I don't associate the name with any negativity, I know 2 wonderful Heather's and loved the name so much in HS as to call my pet mouse Heather. But my sister upon hearing SIL's drama with her Heather, moaned, "OOhhh, nooo! Not another HEATHER!! We already have too many! What is wrong with that name?!?"
I still like the name Heather though

Last edited by rumblepurr; 03-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote