Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

altering training pants, question on pacement

So, I'm looking to alter some Gerber training undies. There's a tut online about adding PUL to the outer "wet zone" and a few layers of flannel inside. Is there any reason for not just putting the PUL and flannel together on the outside of the existing undies? Does flannel soak up pee faster than the undies material? I don't think there's a real reason, just wondering as I've never sewn with PUL and haven't made any of my own diapers (I've aspired to, it's just never played out in reality). Thanks.

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Re: altering training pants, question on pacement

If the original pants are all natural fibres through the crotch, I can't see why you couldn't do as you suggest and put the flannel (or other absorbent fabric) between the underwear and the outer layer of PUL. It would make for easier sewing - though I haven't seen the tut you are referring to.
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could you alter them as you suggest, sure but it would be harder and less useful then just making proper training pants for your kid. Those Gerbers undies are meant for kids who ARE potty trained but may get caught off guard while busy and let a little out while running to the bathroom. From the sounds of the alterations you want to make it seems like your kid is not there yeat and needs something that can hold a full bladder accident.

What you want do do will lead to several problems without serious engineering, that is why it would be easier to start from scratch if you need real absorbency. Do you have any flannel underwear? I bet you don't, it would be imposable to pull on a pair of flannel briefs since it has no stretch. PUL does have some stretch but not as much as the cotton ribbing that the underwear is made of. In order to make them work you would need to add something very stretchy to the sides. Then there is the issues of how you attach a waterproof outer, woven inner, stretch side panels to a existing knit garment with out taking it apart, making it comfortable to wear and water tight.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could you alter them as you suggest, sure but it would be harder and less useful then just making proper training pants for your kid. Those Gerbers undies are meant for kids who ARE potty trained but may get caught off guard while busy and let a little out while running to the bathroom. From the sounds of the alterations you want to make it seems like your kid is not there yeat and needs something that can hold a full bladder accident.

What you want do do will lead to several problems without serious engineering, that is why it would be easier to start from scratch if you need real absorbency. Do you have any flannel underwear? I bet you don't, it would be imposable to pull on a pair of flannel briefs since it has no stretch. PUL does have some stretch but not as much as the cotton ribbing that the underwear is made of. In order to make them work you would need to add something very stretchy to the sides. Then there is the issues of how you attach a waterproof outer, woven inner, stretch side panels to a existing knit garment with out taking it apart, making it comfortable to wear and water tight.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote