Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Is it rude to question an Etsy WAHM about the reasoning behind her pricing?

I found a new WAHM on Etsy whose diaper style I liked. She only had one feedback rating on her shop. She didn't have any diapers stock in the size that I wanted and she agreed to do a custom order. She usually sells in sets of 3, but agreed to make me one diaper without an insert for $16 + $6 postage (it would have been $18 with the insert). Reasonable enough.

When I got back in touch with her about getting a set of 3 like her other listings (again, without inserts) she quoted me $60 + $6 postage. That's a $4 jump in cost per diaper.

I've had WAHMs not give me a discount for bigger orders, which I understand. I've had them give me free shipping for the first order so I could try one out before committing to buy more but charged me shipping on the full sized order. But, this is just confusing me, why would she raise the cost of the order by 1/4th? There was no indication that the price she was giving me for 1 diaper was an introductory price, unless the fact that she created a custom listing for me to try out just one diaper implied that was the case.

Would it be rude to ask her why the price rose so much? I'm not planning on ordering any more from her for such a high price. I like the product that I got but not enough to pay 25% more for it.

Advertisement

ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it rude to question an Etsy WAHM about the reasoning behind her pricing?

I'm not a wahm, but I wouldn't think it would be rude to ask. Usually if you get more, there is a discount, not an increase. I would def ask why.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So was the first one you ordered already made and received? Maybe she changed her pricing since. Either way - ask. It's probably a mistake.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not rude to ask. You can phrase if exactly the way you did here. "I noticed the price increased $4 per diaper since my last purchase, did something change? I love the diaper at the original price, but the new one is more than I was expecting to pay and I was just curious to know what the reason was for the increase."
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

How much time has passed from the first order? I know that cotton and many other supplies have gone up ,so if it was 6 months ago she may have raised her prices to keep enough profit margin to stay in business. Also I wonder if that was a "try it" price,I know lots of wahms will offer a lower price or discount for the first order. If I had to guess I bet that she was just getting started and priced things to low to make a profit and once she sold more things she realized she needed to raise her prices.I have known a few wahms and it is such a struggle to keep your prices affordable while still making enough to stay in business. I would certainly ask but I wouldn't be surprised if she won't go any lower.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

This is within the last two weeks. I specifically told her when I ordered the one that I would get three more if this one worked.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would ask. The price jumped a lot. Maybe because it's a custom. Idk. I wouldn't pay the higher price though. Maybe she forgot what she charged you.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I would ask. Did you word it in a way where she may have thought you wanted the 1 + a set of 3? It could very well be the price for the set and yours, rather than just a set.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Tami
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't be offend if a customer asked me about pricing in a polite way. Could it be the fabric you've requested is a HTF fabric thus the upcharge?
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I will ask her. Nothing has changed from the first item ordered last week to these that I would like to order now to make it a full set. Same fabric, same style, etc. I did ask about her making one modification that would have actually made the diaper use less fabric but she replied saying that the price would not change since it would still be the same amount of labor and not that much less fabric. Which I totally understand.

I'll see how she responds. Thanks everyone!
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote