Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

Retained placenta

Anyone else have complications delivering the placenta? My home birth was fantastic, everything went well. DD swam into the world after a 23 hour labor. The cord pulsed for what seemed like forever. An hour after delivery my placenta still wasn't budging, and with one final push to try and deliver it I passed some major clots. So we transferred. Two hours later the doctor cut it out. Worst pain of my life - and that was with a nerve block, local anesthesia and general anesthesia. Natural birth seemed painless after that. (But luckily we didn't have to stay in the hospital and went home a few hours later... as soon as I could stand without getting dizzy)

My grandmother also had a retained placenta for her first two. When it came time to deliver my mom she told the nurses her history so they gave her a shot and she didn't have the problem. She doesn't know what it was a shot of.

I have a friend and SIL who also had a retained placenta, but only once for each of them.

I don't want to go through that again. Anyone know how to avoid a surgical procedure and coax it to come out a little more gently?

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Retained placenta

I didn't have any issues with DS...but after 2 m/c and birthing dd...I had to go back in after 6weeks pp to get a tiny bit of placenta removed. The dr did it in her office and I was on some powerful drugs

Then after my last m/c we had issues with "products of conception" not wanting to remove itself... and had to have emergency surgery.

So this pregnancy I'm hoping that we don't have to go through any of that again
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was also a homebirth transfer for a retained placenta. Mine wouldn't come even after two shots of pitocin. I was so exhausted and contractions just completely stopped after my daughter was born. I am about 6 weeks out from delivering number two, but I will without a doubt be in a hospital this time since it has a tendency to repeat itself.

One thing...I'm a bit confused as to what hurt you so badly if you were under general anesthesia? Afterpains? It's a painful procedure if you are awake for it from what I hear, but I don't think it should have hurt you afterwards.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
1healthylady
Registered Users

Stevensmom- sorry for your losses. I hope things work out for you.

My contractions completely stopped after DD was born. No amount of massage or nursing would get them going for the placenta. It wasn't until she was 4 days old that I ever actually felt after pains. I thought that was strange. But my uterus shrank like it was supposed to.

I don't know why it was so painful. I was knocked out on the general anesthesia but during the 4-5mins when the doc was tearing out the placenta I was awake screaming bloody murder and left marks on my MWs fingers I squeezed so hard. DH said he was glad he couldn't see me (in the room holding DD, but the u/s machine blocked his view). I didn't have pitocin. MW decided at home not to use it and doc said that was a good thing because it kept my cervix open. I wonder if pitocin next time will help, although I don't want to change that natural birth. I really want another home birth too, as does DH. That was fine.

My grandfather called the docs butchers after my grandmother's experience. She didn't have all the good pain meds. I can see why.

From the phone.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

angelica or dong quai would have been the best remedy... also waiting it out. I have seen some moms hold a placenta in 4-6 hrs. either due to anxiety or just a tired uterus. as long as you are not bleeding heavy its not an issue.

i myself had a retained with my first baby. it took 2 hrs to deliver. I was told I needed to get it out or will need to transfer. I opted to try and push and had some traction on it. it came out. all my subsequent babies placentas took a bit too. they never just come out. I need to use traction. i didnt use herbs on those tho.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

perhaps look into 5w for the next birth. its a prep to use before birth
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
angelica or dong quai would have been the best remedy... also waiting it out. I have seen some moms hold a placenta in 4-6 hrs. either due to anxiety or just a tired uterus. as long as you are not bleeding heavy its not an issue.

i myself had a retained with my first baby. it took 2 hrs to deliver. I was told I needed to get it out or will need to transfer. I opted to try and push and had some traction on it. it came out. all my subsequent babies placentas took a bit too. they never just come out. I need to use traction. i didnt use herbs on those tho.
mine took almost 2 hrs after my last birth, probably bc my son was stuck (malpositioned) and i was pushing for 4 hrs before i finally got him out, and yes, had suffered exhaustion. my midwife gave me angelica in a tincture and 15 min later told me to sit up and cough, which i didnt want to do. success! im definitely going to have it on hand again this time. warm castor oil compresses on your abdomen are also supposed to help.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a missed miscarriage back in Jan too and waited 3 weeks with trying different herbs. nothing worked expect... dong quai. and super fast. you can get it at whole foods too
Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had retained/stubborn placenta with my 2nd baby. I was a homebirth transfer too and had to go under general to get it removed. We tried pushing and gentle traction, but there was no way I was comfortable waiting longer than an hour for it to come out and risk having a PPH at home. My midwife was not comfortable with that, either, so off to the hospital we went. But, general anesthesia was needed to remove the placenta because I was so contracted from herbs/pit that I was given on the way to the hospital that I had to be put out to take care of it. I didn't need any actual surgery, though, thank God.

No problems at all with my 3rd kid/placent, though, and I didn't do anything different. I will say that with my 2nd, early ultrasounds told me I had a subchoronic hematoma, and I really think that what was causing the bleeding was the fact that my placenta just attached weird, and then wouldn't detach when the time came, if that makes sense.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
1healthylady
Registered Users

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be doing some research before the next time on Angelica and Dong Quai and going over those options with my midwives! It looks like I can get either one locally too.

Our midwives only have an hour to deliver the placenta from the time of birth, so not too much waiting it out is allowed. Plus with the massive clots that came out at the hour mark it was definitely time to transfer. They had to test my blood in case I needed a transfusion, and I was right on the edge of needing one with all the blood loss. We did try again when we got to the hospital after nursing for 20 minutes in the ambulance, but that dastardly placenta just did not want to move, and that was nearing 2 hours after the birth.

homebirthmom - what is 5w?