Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Retained placenta

again, that can be normal for some, as long as the bleeding is under control... and then wombstringe would help. im guessing your midwife was certified so she was under strict rules.
angelica also known as dong quai (so its the same thing) can be found online, at most herbs shops and grocery stores. you need it in tincture form tho.
5w is a herbal concoction made by Natures sunshine. it preps the uterus/makes stronger for birth and postpartum so its a faster birth and little bleeding. you can do a google search for stories on it, and where to buy

Advertisement

Last edited by homebirthmom; 04-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I had retained/stubborn placenta with my 2nd baby. I was a homebirth transfer too and had to go under general to get it removed. We tried pushing and gentle traction, but there was no way I was comfortable waiting longer than an hour for it to come out and risk having a PPH at home. My midwife was not comfortable with that, either, so off to the hospital we went. But, general anesthesia was needed to remove the placenta because I was so contracted from herbs/pit that I was given on the way to the hospital that I had to be put out to take care of it. I didn't need any actual surgery, though, thank God.

No problems at all with my 3rd kid/placent, though, and I didn't do anything different. I will say that with my 2nd, early ultrasounds told me I had a subchoronic hematoma, and I really think that what was causing the bleeding was the fact that my placenta just attached weird, and then wouldn't detach when the time came, if that makes sense.
So you didn't wake up at all during the removal? I had never been under general anesthesia before, not even for my wisdom teeth. Are you not supposed to wake up at all (until it wears off of course)?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was out cold for mine, then woke briefly afterwards. By the time I made it to recovery I was out again and slept for hours. Being awake during general is pretty much my worst nightmare.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady View Post

So you didn't wake up at all during the removal? I had never been under general anesthesia before, not even for my wisdom teeth. Are you not supposed to wake up at all (until it wears off of course)?
No, you're not supposed to wake up at all during the procedure. If they told you they were going to put you under general and you woke up/were conscious then they did something wrong. If it was just a spinal or epidural then you'd be awake, but not general.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
again, that can be normal for some, as long as the bleeding is under control... and then wombstringe would help. im guessing your midwife was certified so she was under strict rules.
In my case, yes, the standard of care is 1 hour for third stage in the area where I gave birth, but to be honest, I transferred because I was not comfortable going much longer than that. The bleeding is under control until it isn't, and I know that it can be normal for some women to go longer, but 4-6 hours isn't statistically or medically normal and I was not willing to wait and see how long it would take or if I would go boggy before we transferred. My baby nursed vigorously, we tried herbs and pit, and none of it worked.

The transfer royally sucked for many reasons, but I wasn't cowed into making the choice to transfer simply because of my midwifes certifications.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
In my case, yes, the standard of care is 1 hour for third stage in the area where I gave birth, but to be honest, I transferred because I was not comfortable going much longer than that. The bleeding is under control until it isn't, and I know that it can be normal for some women to go longer, but 4-6 hours isn't statistically or medically normal and I was not willing to wait and see how long it would take or if I would go boggy before we transferred. My baby nursed vigorously, we tried herbs and pit, and none of it worked.

The transfer royally sucked for many reasons, but I wasn't cowed into making the choice to transfer simply because of my midwifes certifications.
amen. I guess everyone's comfort level is different.

It's even less time than that here (I believe it was recently scaled back from 45 minutes to 30). I for one am extremely grateful for the high educational standards and regulations on midwifery in my country. There's a good reason why this condition risks women out of future homebirths here. No amount of herbs, nor cytotec or pitocin will stop a truly severe PPH at home.

Last edited by Nijntje; 04-03-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
No, you're not supposed to wake up at all during the procedure. If they told you they were going to put you under general and you woke up/were conscious then they did something wrong. If it was just a spinal or epidural then you'd be awake, but not general.
Yeah... first they did a local, then the nerve block, then a general. I woke up during the procedure, apologized to the MWs for crushing their hands when it was done (I had one on each side), and then was out again. I woke up again while the doc was stitching me up because my mom was on the phone. I insisted on talking to her, and started the conversation saying, 'Everything's fine, I'm just a little drugged up.' hehe.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Didn't read completely through but I had a retained placenta with my second and 3rd and angelica did the trick both times.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Didn't read completely through but I had a retained placenta with my second and 3rd and angelica did the trick both times.
awesome to hear so many good things on that cheap herb
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
1healthylady
Registered Users

I was totally fine with transferring. The whole pregnancy I had planned to have a home birth, but if something came up I was willing to transfer. DD had arrived, she was healthy, so it was just time to get me fixed. I did ask for my flip flops as they wheeled me out the door. One of the MWs also works in L&D at that hospital, so it was really easy to get in, she knew the nurses that were working that night, the doc met us there.... not too bad for a transfer.