Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Expectations for teenage babysitters

When you have a preteen/teenage babysitter watching your kids, what all do you expect of them? Do you expect them to clean up a little bit around the house? Help the kids put the toys away? What about when the kids are asleep for the night and you won't be home for another hour or so?

When I was young and babysitting, I remember cleaning up the house after the kids were in bed. Maybe not doing dishes, but at least putting things in the sink, wiping down the table and countertops, putting toys away, etc. I don't know if I was taught that I was supposed to do that, but I've heard friends my age say the same thing about when they were babysitting.

We don't have young babysitters very often, but it seems not to be the norm anymore. Last time we had a babysitter we got home about an hour after the kids had fallen asleep. They had eaten fast food for dinner and wrappers and food were all over the table and floor. The house wasn't a mess, per se because the kids just watched movies all evening. But the babysitter had made no attempt to clean up anything. And I was rather disappointed.

Does anyway hope/expect their babysitters will do this?

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
When you have a preteen/teenage babysitter watching your kids, what all do you expect of them? Do you expect them to clean up a little bit around the house? Help the kids put the toys away? What about when the kids are asleep for the night and you won't be home for another hour or so?

When I was young and babysitting, I remember cleaning up the house after the kids were in bed. Maybe not doing dishes, but at least putting things in the sink, wiping down the table and countertops, putting toys away, etc. I don't know if I was taught that I was supposed to do that, but I've heard friends my age say the same thing about when they were babysitting.

We don't have young babysitters very often, but it seems not to be the norm anymore. Last time we had a babysitter we got home about an hour after the kids had fallen asleep. They had eaten fast food for dinner and wrappers and food were all over the table and floor. The house wasn't a mess, per se because the kids just watched movies all evening. But the babysitter had made no attempt to clean up anything. And I was rather disappointed.

Does anyway hope/expect their babysitters will do this?
I wouldnt expect it unless I specifically asked them to clean up. She should have had the good sense to throw wrappers in the trash but more that that kind of thing I wouldnt expect. When I was a teen a babysat frequently for a family and if they needed me to do extra stuff like making sure rooms were clean, washing dishes, or throwing some laundry in I charged extra. I was there to watch her children not be a maid.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Expectations for teenage babysitters

I don't think I'd hire someone back if I came home to that. Kids watching tv all night and trash everywhere?! I wouldn't expect dishes to be washed or like, floors swept or whatever, but everything should be at least picked up.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get out much so I generally take what I can get. I understand my expectations may not be as high as some peoples but finding a sitter for a reasonable price in my area is difficult.

Top priority: Keep my son alive and in one piece.
Be able to heat his food in microwave or be able to call and order pizza

I don't expect them to clean up or put away toys. My son doesn't do that in general to begin with.

I do expect them to pay attention to them and play with him. I have two teenage babysitters. That take turns watching my son once in a while. The older is more attentive. The younger one is glued to her cell phone texting alot.

I expect baby sitters to stay off my computer.

I don't mind tv watching. My son likes to watch tv.

My son normally stays up until I get home since I have to drive the sitter home anyway I have to take him with me. If he is asleep I don't mind her watching a movie or using her laptop.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that it is a babysitters responsibility to clean up the mess the children made on her watch if the children are not old enough to do it themselves. I can understand if she waited until children were asleep but I think she should be able to do it while they Are awake and if she couldn't multitask at that I would not leave my kids with her again.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use a teenage babysitter for date nights about once a month. We never laid out our expectations as far as cleaning up but she goes above and beyond what I think should be done. The things I expect would be dishes in the sink (not washed) or wrappers thrown away, spills cleaned up, and for it at least to appear that toy clean up was attempted. I wouldn't expect anything like counters wiped or floors swept (unless something spilled everywhere.) I have asked her if she could get DS's sheets out of the dryer when they were done and put them on his bed but we paid her extra for that.
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
I think that it is a babysitters responsibility to clean up the mess the children made on her watch if the children are not old enough to do it themselves. I can understand if she waited until children were asleep but I think she should be able to do it while they Are awake and if she couldn't multitask at that I would not leave my kids with her again.
This. If they ate something while the babysitter was there, the dishes should at least be in the sink. Toys they played with should be picked up. Other than that I would not expect any other cleaning.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Keep my children alive. Seriously, my standards have gotten ridiculously low for sitters after finding family members that were supposed to be watching my children asleep while the kids were emptying the pantry.
If the kids were fed by the sitter, I would expect the dishes to at least be in the sink. If there was trash from dinner (like if we ordered pizza), I'd expect it to be thrown away and any leftovers stuck in the fridge. If the kids were in bed for an hour or more before I got home, I would expect the sitter to at least to have attempted to clean up any toys played with while they were there and to have cleaned up any projects. I don't expect any other cleaning, and honestly, would probably have a panic attack if somebody "helped out" in that way. If they want to watch tv WITH my kids, fine. If they want to sit on their butt watching tv & texting while my kids are running wild, not cool.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I expect my home to look the way it did when I left. Which is clean.

But only my mom and my teenagers watch my little ones so they will get the smack down if they muck up my house.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I guess it depends on how much you are paying them. Are you paying them enough to watch the kids and clean up after them or just enough to watch the kids? So in other words are they getting babysitting pay plus housekeeping pay?

I don't really expect my sitters to do anything but care for my kids. When I get home I will either do the clean up myself if the kids are sleeping or have my kids pick up after themselves if they are still up.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote