Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Expectations for teenage babysitters

I expect my house to look how I left it. Wipe down the table after a meal, put the dishes in the sink, clean up any messes from toys/projects they got out. If the toys were already out they could stay that way.

I would not be happy to come home to a trashed house and food/wrappers out.

wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Registered Users

I would not expect fast food wrappers and food all over, but I also wouldn't expect much more than that. I would expect my kids to at least take care of their own mess actually, and I would expect the sitter to enforce that.

Other than that though, I wouldn't expect much else. If they had ordered pizza, I probably wouldn't even expect the pizza box to make it into the trash, since they have to break it down to make it fit.
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Registered Users
I just want to say, expectations should always be communicated. Just a simple, "we'd love for you to pick up after yourself and help the children pick up." would probably suffice.
Sara wifey to Chad and momma to Lily (4/11)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
If a teen doesn't clean up, I don't call her again. I have about 250 teens at my disposal (HS orchestra teacher) so I can be very picky.

I expect dishes rinsed in sink, and toys put away. My house should look the way it did when the sitter got there.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Registered Users

Same as the others--make sure my kid isn't too damaged, then basically pick up after whatever mess happened while I was out.

That's pretty much what I did when I babysat, as well. I wouldn't run the vacuum after the kids went to bed or anything, but dishes picked up, usually washed, toys picked up, no major yuck around. After the kids were in bed, I typically would put on some music (softly) & read a book. I had a neighbor family that I sat for occasionally & they would leave me a list of housekeeping chores they wanted done--everything from a sinkful of dishes to vacuuming the whole 1st floor to folding their laundry. I hated doing it & they paid me crap besides , but they were neighbors & friendly w/ my mom, so I din't have a choice.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
My Mood:
I've had my 13yo sister watch my kids....she kinda keeps the house picked up but its a hit or miss. Sometimes its messy. she's dome dishes a few times. Mostly she just lets the kids watch Netflix.

She's needless to say we don't use her much.

I used to babysit and I always made sire the house was spotless before the mom got home. Her and I still talk and reminisce I was taught to be a clean person though. And as an adult I want my house clean haha so I guess it depends on the person.
Thank my Motorola Electrify for any random words.
Ashley,wife to ChrisMama to Madison(7)Wyatt(4) and Natalie born June 18th 2013! and our little bean who's back with God
MyM&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

When I was in my teens and baby-sitting I always tidied up as we went through the day - putting dishes in the sink and wiping tables/counters after meals, tidying up food after preparing meals, putting away books and toys with the kids when we were done playing with them.
After I would put the kids to bed I made sure to, again, tidy up after bedtime snacks, put their dirty clothes in the laundry, tidy up any toys left out. Once everything was tidy I would watch tv. Depending on how long I was there, I would often have a snack myself later on - I normally baby-sat from supper through to midnight or so.

I expect any baby-sitters in my home to do the same. I wouldn't be happy with a mess to clean up when I get home.
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Registered Users

We have teen girls from our church watch our kids sometimes. We are always clear on our expectations, which are low. We ask them to just pile dinner dishes in the sink, and make sure the boys clean their playroom before bed. I don't really have to help them clean, so I assume the sitter doesn't either.

FWIW, we don't pay these girls (their parents don't let us).

When I was a teen I would clean and keep things super tidy when I babysat. I would also always take a craft/activity to do with the kids.
Nicole; spunky, sassy mama to my two little wild ones: Logan (9-08) and Liam (11-10) and Grayson (12-12)
I blog about the hilarity that comes along with raising my boys!
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I guess it depends on how much you are paying them. Are you paying them enough to watch the kids and clean up after them or just enough to watch the kids? So in other words are they getting babysitting pay plus housekeeping pay?

I don't really expect my sitters to do anything but care for my kids. When I get home I will either do the clean up myself if the kids are sleeping or have my kids pick up after themselves if they are still up.
Agree. Depends if they are seasoned or new I think as well. Some seasoned ones know how to do all that was said in part here from other person others that are new don't know how to get all done.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
Registered Users
At this point keep my boys in one piece. Lol. Both boys are high energy and love to get into trouble. They see babyproofing as a challenge. If I had easy children, I would expect that they pick up after themselves and put their dishes in the dishwasher. DS1 won't go to sleep if there is any noise going on in the house, so picking up after they would put him down isn't always an option. But neither DH or I feel comfortable leaving them with babysitters, other than my parents. Maybe when they get older and hopefully settle down. Lol.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote