Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We start teaching chores at 2 and it progresses from there. My 2 year old is in charge of making her bed, helping pick up the play room daily, and help unload dishes. By five they have chores like planning and help make a meal, emptying trash and sweeping, picking up sticks, helping with things like laundry, mopping, washing walls, outside chores. By ten they start doing their own laundry, doing dishes, making dinner, etc. By this age they can do most of the upkeep.
My average day is.
Get up drink coffee throw in laundry, get b fast, I pick up as I go but play room is a disaster buy the time nap chores. I do s load of dishes and start dinner if it's my night ( each kid above 5 has a dinner night and so does dh) . Each kid has a chore that night. Dishes, bathrooms, living room pickup and vacuum. Dh helps 2 year old clean playroom. Each teen has a laundry day and must keep rooms passable. Saturday my Ds spends 3 hours doing weekly housekeeping in the winter if snow jobs aren't available. I pay him for this work as it's above normal work.
So in my house everyone helps and mom can do things like school the littles and sew.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
PrettyinPink89
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Teaching kids housekeeping skills

I keep it fairly simple since we live in an apartment. DS1 is expected to keep his room tidy (puts toys away after using them, makes his own bed). I fold his laundry and he puts them in their designated drawers. His toys stay in his room unless it is a stuffed animal for movie time or hanging out before bed. He clears his plate after dinner and he helps with taking out the trash (putting all the little cans into the larger one in the kitchen). That is it for now . Most of these things he has been doing since he was 2.5/3 (keeping his area tidy, putting empty cups in the sink).

Last edited by PrettyinPink89; 03-30-2013 at 08:04 AM.
PrettyinPink89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older 2 are 4.5 and 5.5.
Things they do every day:
Pick up toys in playroom and living room
Get living room ready to vacuum (they spend a lot of the day in there, DH and I do at night, so they need to have it picked up before he comes home)
Make beds
Put shoes on shoe shelf
Put books on book shelf
Take own dishes to the sink

Things that all 3 help me with as needed (5, 4 and 2):
Pick up dining room floor
put away dishes (the ones on lower shelves)
dust
vacuum
wash windows
collect dirty laundry and take to laundry room
put away groceries
sort laundry
match socks
put away their own folded laundry

And probably a few other things that I just ask them to do on occasion. We really stress that we are all working together to get things done. Mom is not a slave. They are always welcome to trade jobs with me (washing dishes, cooking meals, doing laundry, etc.) but so far no one has taken me up on the offer
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I have 8 &2 years. 8 can do more. My 2 our is goods if I can get her to hand me things. Usually 2 years dances more to the clean up song.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I have 8 &2 years. 8 can do more. My 2 our is goods if I can get her to hand me things. Usually 2 years dances more to the clean up song.
I just try to pouch up during week wear I can with help. My mom comes and helps sometimes other times no. one day just bathrooms.

My mom list sleep to clean.

I keep path and big things clan up.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started with personal responsibility type chores around 2.
Things like:
take your dishes to the sink/dishwasher
throw your trash away
put your shoes away
put your laundry in the dirty hamper
hang up your towel after bath (hook)
put toys in the playroom
pick out clothes for the next day

As they get older they start to be able to do more team type chores-aka chores that aren't all about them.
Gather up the trash in the house (this includes putting new bags in the empty cans)
vacuum (I start by doing the main vacuum and they use the hose to do baseboards and around furniture)
dusting
wiping down cleared tables/counters
setting the table

Somewhere in there they start helping sort the laundry. They already bring me hangers. Then it progresses to helping with putting it in, moving it from washer to dryer, folding. DS1 is 10 and in 5th grade. This year I gave him his own hamper and made him responsible for his own laundry. He even has a specific day he is supposed to do it.

I try to get DS1 in the kitchen with me at least once a week to help with the actual food prep and cooking.

Coming up, Saturday morning was house cleaning time. My sister dusted and vacuumed. I cleaned the bathrooms. Mom cleaned the kitchen. Dad randomly cleaned woodwork, washed windows, or polished brass. My sister and I took turns mowing the lawn. (I'm pretty sure all of this happened from 5/6th grade on)
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
crunch!910
Registered Users

My baby LOVES riding the vacuum, so it is a fun game to vacuum (not that he is helping). And anytime before snacks or meals, all toys must be picked up. They don't eat until things are picked up. After the last meal of the day and the baby having thrown food off his high chair all day, the floor is always a mess. It is apart of my 3.5yo's daily chores to help sweep, so we give him a small handheld one and we make it a game to find all the dirt on the floor and sweep it up. It is also his responsibility to put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket in the bathroom.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood: