Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Grass fed beef?

I'm trying to convince DH we should switch but he's resistant based on taste. He's willing to try with a comparison.
Any prep tips or recipes for the taste test? I'll only get 1 shot at this for the next couple of years.

Advertisement

pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grass fed beef?

Do you have different sources to buy from? if so I would buy a few items and taste them. I have never had bad tasting grass fed beef, it does have a stronger taste. It's how beef is supposed to taste! Cook it at a lower temp due to it being naturally leaner. You could take the chance and use it in place or regular beef and see if he notices.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the previous poster about trying meat from different sources. We have a wonderful ranch nearby that has the best beef I've ever tasted. Actually considering buying half a cow from them because we love it so much. Other ranches taste different. You might want to get some from a few different sources and try it out. Also use a crock pot so there is no chance of it being dry. Might help to convince him.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you.

We've always bought a 1/4 of a cow every year but I know grass fed is healthier. Will start trying out the farmers at the markets this summer.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
lauraz76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had grass fed beef from different local sources, and the only taste difference was *yummier*! More moist, more flavor, etc. Maybe try the ground beef first in something pretty 'regular', and see if he notices. Or, do a crockpot roast, will keep it moist and super yummy. I have a now-tried-and-true grassfed beef crockpot roast recipe. PM me if you want it!
lauraz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get grass fed beef because I know it is better for you. But honestly I didn't notice a strong taste difference. :head scratch: Maybe it is because I used to eat this when I was little??

I would prepare your DH's favorite food (heavy beef) with both and see what he likes better.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
I get grass fed beef because I know it is better for you. But honestly I didn't notice a strong taste difference. :head scratch
I agree, and I grew up on commercially raised, grocery store beef. Now we only buy grass fed from the farm, and honestly other than it being leaner (which is more appealing IMO), I don't notice a difference
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Very encouraging. Thank you all!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I love the taste of grass feed beef. It has a distinct flavor so much better than corn fed commercial beef.

I grew up on the east coast suburbs and only ever ate meat from the grocery store. Now i live in the west and My fil raises cattle. We got some of his beef. The first time I ate it, I asked my DH what it was. It was so tasty and flavorful. He laughed and said beef. He likes to mock his city slicker wife.

It's kind of like store bought tomatoes vs home grown.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Crunchy Eco Girl
Registered Users

There isn't a HUGE difference in taste but there is a difference (I happen to think the grass fed tastes better!) We got some grass fed beef at the farmer's market and it was the best beef we've ever had. It does depend how you cook it though - like any regular beef. We prepared ours with other items we got at the farmer's market. I think we picked up some multi-colored carrots (one stand had a bunch of different kinds from yellow to purple) which we sauteed in butter. They were really small and thin so they cooked fast, but the different bright colors looked really appealing next to the meat. We rubbed sea salt, pepper, and lots of fresh minced garlic onto each side of the steak and put it in a marinade of soy sauce, A1, and worchester sauce and let it marinate for 6-12 hours (can't remember). I think we cooked it on the grill. In addition to the carrot side item we had one green. I cannot remember if it was asparagus or spinach - though spinach tends to taste better with steak in my humble opinion. To cook it I first sautee garlic in either grapeseed oil or olive oil and then I add the spinach and sautee that until it wilts. Then you want to drain off the extra oil (grapeseed oil can sometimes feel slimy though the flavor is really nice). I think we served the steak with A1 sauce as well though it wasn't heavily needed. Also, when you season the steak, another option is Real Salt instead of sea salt. It's this pinkish salt from Utah that is in most big grocery stores and I discovered it recently. It has this great almost sweet flavor and it really enhances meat flavor pretty well.
Crunchy Eco Girl is offline   Reply With Quote