Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby Walkers

Does anyone use one?

My daughter loves having her hands held and walking around. She is nowhere near ready to actually walk alone. Is one of those walkers that you put them in a good solution?

I know the safety issues, but I imagine lack of supervision is how most accidents happen.

I also know they are illegal in Canada, but people still have them.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Walkers

I don't mind the ones that the child pushes, but I don't like the ones that they sit in. They can cause toe walking (where the child only walks on their toes). I had enough problems with that with my DS that didn't have any walkers (push or sit in).
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

My ped mostly recommended holding her hand. The walkers they set in cause walking on tip toes & the push ones cause posture issues cause when they push they lean forward so they are not learning to stand up straight to walk. We had one of both she hated the one she sits in & just plays with the one she pushes so we used neither. I just set aside time every day to practice holding her hand she started walking on Easter alone but were still having to practice cause she's still wobbly.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hold my dd's hands and walk her numourous times a day. I bring her to my parents' house and they both walk her too. I guess she gets enough practice. I don't want to encourage her to walk poorly.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I guess we are in the minority, but I used a sit in style walker for both kids with proper supervision, and they loved it. One walked early, 10 months, the other average, 13 months. We used it on the bottom floor of the house in the living room and kitchen. It was great for 20-30 mins here and there while making dinner or folding laundry.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

We use push toys, but not the walkers they sit in. I was injured in a walker as a baby and I was completely supervised the whole time. When those things topple, it happens fast and baby almost always lands on his/her face.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

We had one but never used it. We weren't against it, but it just turned out it was not something my ds liked. He did LOVE anything he could push. He started pushing walking toys, laundry baskets, and even the kitchen chairs very young....somewhere around 8 1/2 months.
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Flip over a laundry basket and let her see if she can push it around. We have a walk behind thing but Z prefers the laundry basket, lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah my guy could never get the hang of those walkers that they sit in. He LOVED his push walkers. He is a solid walker now and will still push a stroller or shopping cart and have a great time!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had one for DS1 and he loved it. Walked at 11.5 months, he is a very physical child, all speed.

I got rid of it after that as we have a basement and even though the door is closed and child lock on the handle I felt uncomfortable as the older child "could" open it etc.

I loved the fisher price pushing toy....got a second for DS3 when our first broke. There are some great new style pushers out though. Kind of like those ride ons but they open up to be a pusher toy for younger kids.

I think like everything else it's moderation. They can have fun in the walker for 10/15 mins and have a blast. I do know someone who had their kid in one for LONG periods of time and she is now doing EI for physical reasons. Not saying THAT was the reason. But I think they used it way more than they should have when they should have been doing the opposite and helping her due to her delay. I just noticed that she was parked in it for a very long time at her 1st bday. Then months later I heard about her delays with standing/walking.