Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Almost 7yo is coming home from school with poopy underwear.

It sounds like encopresis to me and both of my kids have it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encopresis

Advertisement

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it's as serious as everyone is saying so don't freak out.
Who likes to poop in public? I know I try to avoid it if possible.

I even remember a friend from high school that would literally go home sick if he couldn't hold it until the day was over.

You just need to patiently explain to her that if she needs to go to the bathroom at school then she needs to go and holding it will make her sick.
I also would talk to her teacher and possibly exaggerate her "medical condition" so that her teacher will excuse her regularly without drawing attention to the problem.

If you are concerned something is going on- make sure you check the toilet each time she goes at home. If she is still going on a regular basis and it isn't liquid or pebbles she is fine.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 03-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
She had an X-ray done today. Hoping for results tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa

I stopped reading to quote this so not sure if it's been addressed.

Yes, it possible for her to stool if she's impacted. Basically, the stool leaks around the impaction. She may not realize it's happening until it's too late.
This is what has happened to my son several times. Miralax fixed him. Hope you get answers soon.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any news?
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
the X-ray confirmed that her intestines are full of stool. Not impacted but enough to cause issues. She has to do mirilax.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W View Post
the X-ray confirmed that her intestines are full of stool. Not impacted but enough to cause issues. She has to do mirilax.
Poor baby. Glad you found the root cause though and can work toward fixing things. Maybe the whole ordeal will help her understand the importance of going when she needs to go? Also, it will certainly help when talking to the teacher (if the teacher is reluctant to allow more bathroom breaks), that it is a medical condition and this point and your daughter should not be questioned about whether or not it's an emergency or made to feel bad for needing to use the restroom more often.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W
I knew it!! So glad you caught this and can continue with a regimen that can get her healthy again!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

If she is nervous about using a bathroom in the classroom, you might consider asking for an IEP or a 504 plan based on her medical issue. The school by law has to make reasonable accommodations, and using a more private bathroom (maybe in a nurse's office?) is very reasonable, as is allowing her unrestricted bathroom use whenever she asks. I was a school nurse before becoming a SAHM, and I had several kiddos with this issue who used my bathroom for a little more privacy. None of them abused the privilege.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff
If she is nervous about using a bathroom in the classroom, you might consider asking for an IEP or a 504 plan based on her medical issue. The school by law has to make reasonable accommodations, and using a more private bathroom (maybe in a nurse's office?) is very reasonable, as is allowing her unrestricted bathroom use whenever she asks. I was a school nurse before becoming a SAHM, and I had several kiddos with this issue who used my bathroom for a little more privacy. None of them abused the privilege.
I think this is beyond extreme (the iep part) MOST 7 year olds I know do not want to drop a load at school and will squeeze their butt cheeks until they create concrete before going. This is a very tender age for their social lives. Creating more drama around this issue is going too far. IMO. I know you you are speaking from your experience and everything, I just think its part of life. And not every kid petrified of pooping in school should be given IEP. IMO. And I'm familiar with IEP's and petrified poopers. :/

She, like most of us, will reset her bodies rhythm to poop at home. I can't tell you ONE time I actually dumped at school. Even peeing was an embarrassment for years. Lol! I had a strong stream!