Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

I think this is beyond extreme (the iep part) MOST 7 year olds I know do not want to drop a load at school and will squeeze their butt cheeks until they create concrete before going. This is a very tender age for their social lives. Creating more drama around this issue is going too far. IMO. I know you you are speaking from your experience and everything, I just think its part of life. And not every kid petrified of pooping in school should be given IEP. IMO. And I'm familiar with IEP's and petrified poopers. :/

She, like most of us, will reset her bodies rhythm to poop at home. I can't tell you ONE time I actually dumped at school. Even peeing was an embarrassment for years. Lol! I had a strong stream!
Most kids don't end up needing medical intervention for the problem. An x-ray confirmed colon full of stool can easily become a severe impaction requiring medical intervention. Why on earth would you put a child through that if it can be avoided by allowing a private bathroom?

Sure, MOST kids bodies will get on a poop-at-home schedule, but not ALL. And if the child on question is one whose bodies adjust, then she won't need to use the bathroom and it's a moot point. But in the off chance the child on question is one of the minority that does not adjust, the plan could save the child a great deal of pain and suffering.

Advertisement

PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There is a great book on this topic (encopresis) called "It's No Accident".
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff

Most kids don't end up needing medical intervention for the problem. An x-ray confirmed colon full of stool can easily become a severe impaction requiring medical intervention. Why on earth would you put a child through that if it can be avoided by allowing a private bathroom?

Sure, MOST kids bodies will get on a poop-at-home schedule, but not ALL. And if the child on question is one whose bodies adjust, then she won't need to use the bathroom and it's a moot point. But in the off chance the child on question is one of the minority that does not adjust, the plan could save the child a great deal of pain and suffering.
I disagree. I've had a colon full of stool several times. I managed to get thru school without special accommodations. This has happened ONCE. The mom can help reset the time now. Everyone wants to jump for IEP's for everything now. Poop is a new one to me. I think, sure- if it's a recurring issue- maybe. Once???!! Heck my kid had a shart at school and now he holds his gas in. Should I get him IEP? Serious gas pains are horrific. This COULD have led to impaction. COULD. It did not. Might not have. A heavier diet in fiber and whole foods usually helps. Eliminate dairy helps too.

Sooo.. Recommending an IEP at THIS point, is really extreme (again, IMO) to do an IEP, in case, she might be, sorta, one of those kids, maybe... ??
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:

I disagree. I've had a colon full of stool several times. I managed to get thru school without special accommodations. This has happened ONCE. The mom can help reset the time now. Everyone wants to jump for IEP's for everything now. Poop is a new one to me. I think, sure- if it's a recurring issue- maybe. Once???!! Heck my kid had a shart at school and now he holds his gas in. Should I get him IEP? Serious gas pains are horrific. This COULD have led to impaction. COULD. It did not. Might not have. A heavier diet in fiber and whole foods usually helps. Eliminate dairy helps too.

Sooo.. Recommending an IEP at THIS point, is really extreme (again, IMO) to do an IEP, in case, she might be, sorta, one of those kids, maybe... ??
If its bad enough to require medical intervention and Miralax, it's bad enough to take seriously. Waiting to see if it happens again is a dangerous game, because the colon can become stretched and she can lose the urge to have a bowel movement. But every parent has to make that decision for their own child. I'd prefer to err on the side that would not be likely to have lifelong physical implications. Encopresis is a very real disorder and very much worthy of an IEP.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #35
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff

If its bad enough to require medical intervention and Miralax, it's bad enough to take seriously. Waiting to see if it happens again is a dangerous game, because the colon can become stretched and she can lose the urge to have a bowel movement. But every parent has to make that decision for their own child. I'd prefer to err on the side that would not be likely to have lifelong physical implications. Encopresis is a very real disorder and very much worthy of an IEP.
I bet a lot of people have it at certain times in their lives. Most just don!5 get X-rays. Special accommodations for anyone who got backed up once? That's what's wrong with the US. Lol. You wouldn't see that in other countries. The child required miralax. Miralax. I can take that daily if I wanted. It was not an emergency or they would have handled it there. Erring on the side of caution for every child who holds #2? Good luck accomadating that.

Difference of opinions. I think iep's should be taken very seriously. Not for a one time bad case of constipation. Any I've had it, so I'm not oblivious to the condition.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd think talking to the teacher and explaining the situation would hopefully be enough to make sure she has access to the bathroom as necessary. An IEP is put in place to ensure that such accommodations are made, and hopefully wouldn't be necessary. BUT - I wouldn't hesitate to request one if I felt the teacher wasn't taking the issue seriously enough.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Help! Almost 7yo is coming home from school with poopy underwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
There is a great book on this topic (encopresis) called "It's No Accident".
Yes. It's made me much more aware of fiber content in my kids' diets. (Iwas aware before, but much more so now.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree there are several steps between now and an IEP, like talking to the teacher, school counselor, nurse, principal and working on solutions. I wouldn't by any means say she needs an IEP at this point, but you can't have a kid pooping her pants at school. Even if it did go that far, I would think if anything, it should be a 504 plan unless there are other issues, like it affects her education, etc. There are truly people who just can't relax that much in public. I think the pp's comments about trying to reset schedule, finding her a private place to go are excellent. This condition can progress and its not good. Good job mama for getting her to the doctor and checked out! It always helps to have a doctors opinion for these things. Also helps set the action plan, because its the holding it that's the problem, and causing the accidents.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:

I bet a lot of people have it at certain times in their lives. Most just don!5 get X-rays. Special accommodations for anyone who got backed up once? That's what's wrong with the US. Lol. You wouldn't see that in other countries. The child required miralax. Miralax. I can take that daily if I wanted. It was not an emergency or they would have handled it there. Erring on the side of caution for every child who holds #2? Good luck accomadating that.

Difference of opinions. I think iep's should be taken very seriously. Not for a one time bad case of constipation. Any I've had it, so I'm not oblivious to the condition.
That's what's wrong with the US? Lol. I think we have bigger fish to fry.

I see this as much more than simply a child holding #2. This child was coming home daily with stool leakage. That is completely abnormal and does not occur in a child who is simply a shy pooper. It could suggest there has already been some desensitization. I don't recall ever stating that every child who is shy about pooping at school get an IEP. In my opinion, in THIS case, it is warranted. The child told her mother the teacher only allows the restroom in "emergencies", and putting that together with the daily stooling accidents, the backed up fecal matter, and the necessity for medical intervention I believe the parent would be wise to get a plan in place.

In my experience, teachers rarely take this issue seriously and an IEP/504 quickly becomes necessary. In every single case of a student I've had with encopresis, the teacher refused to allow the bathroom because they believed the student did not really need to go. Believe me, they did. Maybe this was just the culture in my particular district that teachers universally had strict bathroom policies, but in each case the child got worse until a plan was in place that the teachers were forced to comply with. I am sure that is not the case everywhere and hopefully is not the case with the OP.

As an RN, it's my job to advocate for the patient. I would never suggest that every child who avoids pooping at school needs an IEP/504...that's just absurd. But in my opinion, the child in question has several factors that go beyond a simple case of shyness and suggest that a plan to make the school accountable might not be a bad idea.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #40
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
To the op, I occasionally give our ds miralax for issues from birth, we have since weaned off to prune juice. He gets either the med or the juice at breakfast and has a bm before bed at home. He will only poop at home, so this has helped his schedule. Just giving you a timeline to try so the poop at school could possibly be eliminated. We also tell him to go every night at 7. Some days he doesn't have to go, but he always has to try, except for the very rare occasion that he initiates the bm during the afternoon after school. I think that's happened twice in his life ;-)
People think our "scheduling" is nuts, but our kid had a problem, and this seems to work for our family. Good luck with your dd! I hope she feels better soon and can be more comfortable and regular!