Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Christian mom's with a small family - question!

Are there any forums or good links to articals about how you can still be a great christian mom without having a dozen kids? There are SO many women in the bible that had one child and even some that chose to work outside the home known talks about that - they just talk about how children are a blessing (which they are!) but risking my life for multiple children does not seem logical. I should be here for the ones He has blessed me with - if that is His Will. Everywhere I turn online there is another mom preaching about how they have a quiver full because that is God's Will - maybe for their life but that does not mean everyone. They are making me feel guilty, like I am supposed to earn God's approval by having a dozen kids.

Also, are there any Christian mom's on here that have a small family? Like two kids?! Why is this so hard to find...

Advertisement

Last edited by CntryMama; 03-30-2013 at 01:18 PM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christian mom's with a small family - question!

I have no clue, but I would love to know as well. I'm right there with you. I WOH because I have no choice and I do enjoy it mostly. I only have one child (not by choice), but even if my fertility was great I would probably have stopped at 3-4 anyway. Any way, HI, I'm here...But don't know of any links, articles, or reading for you.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Being Christian is your beliefs, it does not dictate that you need to have a lot of children. I am Christian and have 2 children and that is just fine. Some people just keep having children, regardless of financial, health and mental stability. (no offense to anyone intended, it's a fact/statement/opinion, not a personal attack) There is nothing wrong with just having 1 child, and if you think about the economy and the world with overpopulation and depletion of resources, it's often more responsible to have just 1 child. It's Christian to have the right number of children for your family and for the situation that you are in.

What's important is how you raise the children, not the number.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
There are waaaaaay more Xtian families with 1-2 kids than there are Xtian families with 12..I promise you.

The QF population is less than 1 percent of xtians. I suggest you find a place that doesn't have large families or QF families are hanging out. There is nothing wrong with having a small family.

On and BtW, I am NOT Christian. We are not religious at all we just happen to have 7 kids. Lol.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To answer your question, No, I don't know of any articles focused on that, but to be honest, I didn't realize there was an issue. I didn't know that I was "supposed" to have more children in order to be a great Christian. I missed the checklist apparently. oops

Do what's right for your and your family. No one should judge your "great Christian mom"-ness based on the number of carseats in your vehicle.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
Being Christian is your beliefs, it does not dictate that you need to have a lot of children. I am Christian and have 2 children and that is just fine. Some people just keep having children, regardless of financial, health and mental stability. (no offense to anyone intended, it's a fact/statement/opinion, not a personal attack) There is nothing wrong with just having 1 child, and if you think about the economy and the world with overpopulation and depletion of resources, it's often more responsible to have just 1 child. It's Christian to have the right number of children for your family and for the situation that you are in.

What's important is how you raise the children, not the number.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Even though I would LOVE more than one, I know that 3-4 is my upper limit physically, financially and mentally. At this point dh and I have already decided if we have one more we will quit trying. Then if we are randomly blessed with another we are open to it, but we will stop medical treatments for infertility after one more. We feel led to continue with them for now, and if after a lot of prayer and discussion we felt we were to continue trying for more, we certainly would but this is the answer we feel we have been led to for now, and we're fine with that. I live in a very religious area. And there are a LOT of large families here. We and one friend are the only ones we know our age with only one child- we both deal with infertility and we both work so we are often judged and talked about by the other "christian" women (doen't seem very christian to me since they haven't walked a mile in my shoes- but then again I envy them for having children so we all have our vices right). We do have a few friends with only 2 children, and guess what, all of them struggled with IF too. So I find that many of the families I know don't have more kids by choice, BUT I don't think it's wrong to chose a smaller family if that's what works for you and your life.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Angel89411
Banned

I am Christian and we have 2 boys. I had a tubal after Ds2 because pregnancy was hard on me and my family. There were about 2 months straight that I was so sick with DS2 that I could barely take care of myself. Much less my toddler. It was bad with DS1 but I had major health problems in between that made the morning sickness and other stuff much worse. It strained my family and marriage. DH and talked about it a lot. I still wish we could have more sometimes but I remember what it did to my family and its not fair to them. I don't see how it makes me any less of a Christian. I have a friend who is Catholic who saw what I went through and even though she does not believe in birth control, she saw and agreed with our reasons and actions. It isn't as black and white as some believe.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Thank you! Maybe my issues is more that I am not sure when I will ever feel done - I go back and forth.... Somedays hoping I will just get pregnant before I can say no without any doctor approval before hand... But does that back and forth ever go away for some people?! Probably not, who would not love a little baby handed off into their arms without the issues of pregnancy
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
cbreeding
Registered Users

I am a Christian and only have three children. And biologically that will be all we have. We may do foster care, but that is something I feel God is calling my DH and I to do.

God calls individuals to many different things; marriage, singlehood, missionary work, pastoral work, have large families, have small families, volunteer with the homeless, volunteer with women, etc.

It is hard when so many around you are doing a certain thing. To second guess yourself, but God does not think less of you because you have less or more children, you work or don't work. Be the best example of Christ for the family you do have and those you come into contact with and that is all you can do.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
cbreeding
Registered Users

I am a Christian and only have three children. And biologically that will be all we have. We may do foster care, but that is something I feel God is calling my DH and I to do.

God calls individuals to many different things; marriage, singlehood, missionary work, pastoral work, have large families, have small families, volunteer with the homeless, volunteer with women, etc.

It is hard when so many around you are doing a certain thing. To second guess yourself, but God does not think less of you because you have less or more children, you work or don't work. Be the best example of Christ for the family you do have and those you come into contact with and that is all you can do.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote