Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Christian mom's with a small family - question!

Jesus never told his followers to multiply by having children. Of course children are a gift and he loved and appreciated children, but Christians are told to go make disciples, not "go have children". There are women in the Bible where God interfered with their fertility/childbearing, but these were not random women, but rather mothers who ended up being in the line of Christ, generally speaking. This is why I can't get behind the "God wants us to have as many children as possible and is responsible for all of them" mindset. Also, if we are to beleive that God wills all children, then he would also be directly responsible for preemies, stillborn babies, and children born with birth defects. There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that he deliberately causes these babies to be created, then lost or permanently debilitated. James says "with evil God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone". Ecclesiastes 9:11 says "time and unforseen occurance befall us all".
Although I am very happy with my children, they were not planned. Before children I spent more time in Bible study and teaching others. Many young Christian couples I know choose to remain childless so that they can spend as much time as possible fulfilling the commission that Jesus gave his disciples to go and preach, although if they were to find themselves pregnant, (as my I did), they would have to adjust their circumstances, as abortion is not acceptable to the God of the Bible who we serve.
We believe that this system will shortly be replaced by God's government, but until that happens the situation will only deteriorate (as Jesus himself prophesied in Matt chapter 24 and 25), so many choose to keep their lives as simple as possible.

Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #42
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Christian mom's with a small family - question!

Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Dude, I'm a Mormon, living in UTAH and I have two kids. TALK ABOUT AN OUTCAST!

The number of children you have is a conversation you and your H have with God and no one else. If someone is giving you a hard time, you look them straight in the eye and tell them that their inquiry into your sexual health is inappropriate.
I totally agree. Its something for you and your spouse to pray about, not for everyone else to weigh in on. The judgement goes both ways (too mant kids, too few), and it amazes me that anyone thinks its their business. Don't worry about it, following God's will for you and your family is the important thing.
Arielle ~ Wife to K, Mommy to Miss B (6), J (4), I (2), and R.

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote