Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Recommendations. Bottles and boobs. What bottle do you use for breastfed babies

I use the playtex ventairs with DD2. The wider ones with slow flow nipples. She doesn't get bottles very often, but she's had them as young as 3 days old and still uses them now at almost a year.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Crunchymommmy
Registered Users
Do NOT FSOT~File with Paypal**

My Mood:
We like the Avent Natural. They are suppose to be better for breastfeeding babies. They have them in plastic too but I just prefer the glass.

Last edited by Crunchymommmy; 04-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Crunchymommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Recommendations. Bottles and boobs. What bottle do you use for breastfed babies

We actually hated the Avent bottles, we much preferred the inexpensive Evenflo glass bottles. They are cheaper, wash better and are interchangeable with the Medela pump and regular bottles (not the Calma).
I'd also recommend only buying the smaller size bottles (4 oz) for now. 8 oz bottles aren't very useful for breastfed babies, I got some but never used them at all.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I use Lansinoh momma bottles love them

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #15
77Lipen
Registered Users

I used avent and a knock off brand when I had to exclusively pump in the very beginning. We switched between nursing and bottle feeding with no problems until about 4 months when she just refused the bottle all together.

Now she's slowly getti g back on the bottle and its avent again.

Never had an issue with her swallowing to much air either.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulorangekids
People who use the medela calma bottles, how do you like it?
I used medela fora day and I said to my mom this can't be right. The milk would just pour out. Baby didn't really have to 'work' at it. My mom called the LC at the hospital she works at and she said that 'most medela products are stand up... Except their bottles for feeding... Those are **** if you want to bottle/breastfeed'.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have been recommended by our 2 lactation consultants (they are a team with a combined total of over 50 years experience) to use the playtex drop ins with the slow flow nipple.

The nipple is wider like moms breast
No issues with air & this bottle empties like the breast
And the slow flow is good because then baby has to work at it, you don't want it to be easier than the breast or baby will get lazy and just like he bottle.
And these are so easy to clean!

Dd is now 9 months & has taken the bottle a few times per month since 6-8 weeks no problem.

Happy registering! I love how involved you are with these decisions

Whatever bottle you choose def get slow flow nipples.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies for all the information. Definitely helps out.
Thank you Sarah-b. You have always been helpful
FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any bottle will work. Introduce at 2-3 weeks and give 1 bottle with one feeding (2ounces) every few days
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

We have used a variety with our kids. My oldest I used only the breast flow until after he weaned, he only got an occasional bottle. They worked well but there is the two part nipple system that is not the easiest to clean. With the toddler we used the breast flow as well as the playtex (or walmart brand) drop in nursers. My husband loved the drop ins, I could care less either way because I never gave him a bottle until he was on formula. With our youngest we have tried the similac bottles (he hates them). The Medela bottles seem to be the ones that he likes. He has had a few bottles even though he is a couple weeks old, but he loves the Medela and they are really nice because they hook up to the pump perfectly (seeing as it is a Medela pump) So we have stuck with those. We have always used the nipples that come with the bottles. I have not seen the point in buying the Calma nipple for the Medela bottles, they run for about $18 a piece around here. And as he only gets the occasional bottle I do not see the point in paying that much for a nipple. He has no problem going from breast to bottle and back to breast. You might want to register for a variety of bottles because your newborn may not like certain ones. Good luck finding the right bottle for your baby!