Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you also use...

I'm expecting our first in November, and I love the idea of babywearing, babywearing and have a few kinds to try (Maya wrap, Cybex u.go wrap, Balboa Baby sling). However, a friend mentioned that a carseat that you can either carry or snap into a stroller was great for when they fall asleep and you don't want to disturb them. My brother and hubby's sister are both giving us carseats, and I know one is a carry kind. I am wondering if it would be worth it to also get a stroller (thinking not or one for when older in the spring/summer).

For you mamas who have some experience, do you have both, use a combination, or just do carriers? What do you do, say, if it's cold out and want to get you both inside quickly when shopping or going to appointments? Did you have to practice?

Advertisement

bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My suggestion. See if you have a lending library breeze you. Usually through a baby wearing group. It was the best way for me to figure out what I and baby liked. It changes with stages and sessions too
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you also use...

I discovered ring slings with my second, and I use them a lot, but I wouldn't ever consider not having both a sling AND stroller. I have multiple of both. Right now, if I have to run errands, I take my double stroller, 4 yr old in front, 2nd old in back, baby in the sling.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

I had both (multiple carriers and a infant carseat/stroller frame). I used both, depending on the situation. For church and grocery shopping I preferred to wear her. At the mall, I sometimes took both (stroller to hold the diaper bag and so I could try clothes on, but a carrier for when she wanted to be held). Sometimes if I just wanted to run into a store really quick and baby was sleeping, it was easiest just to put the carseat on its frame so I didn't have to get DD in and out of the carseat.
I do know some people who skip the stroller and only use carriers. I do think that in general it is better for a baby to be worn rather than left in the carseat for long periods of time, but for me it was nice to have options.
And it does take some practice to get comfortable using each carrier. If you have a babywearing group nearby, they are a great resource for hands-on help. You might even find it helpful to go to a meeting before your baby arrives so you can be ready.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first I didn't use the stroller much until he was 6 months or so but with my 2nd and 3rd I did use the stroller a lot more. Also, I found that sometimes they'd be asleep in the carseat (sometimes, lol) and it was often much easier to just put the infant bucket into the stroller than to put them from the carseat to the carrier, like you said. I used a stretchy wrap for the first few months, too, though.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't use a stroller. Toddler refuses and baby prefers to be worn.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I can count on one hand the number of times Tharen was ever in a stroller. My dh bought a folding jogger thinking he would jog with him like he did with Kearnan but Tharen didn't like it, he wanted to be worn. He was in it once when my younger cousin (read teenager) visited from PA and we all went to the aquarium and Tharen wanted to be with his M. He was an older toddler by then though (probably 24months or so). Really maybe 2 other times in his entire life. He did like the wagon for Ren Fair or occasionally at the zoo but honestly he was almost always on me (the wagon was for stuff more than kids). I owned a lot of carriers, primarily Mei Tais but I also liked to have a pouch in my bag at all times in case he was fussy or we were doing in and out type errands. Tharen never needed to go from the car into the stroller without leaving the carseat because he was screaming bloody murder the entire time he was in the car seat. I had a convertible in my car and we quickly switched to on in dh's as well because we couldn't take the screaming anymore. He was more comfortable in the convertible for some reason. Kearnan liked strollers and spent more time in one but he would have been happy in a carrier as well, I just didn't know about them when he was a baby.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We use both ring sling and stroller. Which one gets more use depends on where we are living. When I lived within walking distance of the stores, parks, and rec center I used both. I wore baby and put all our things in the stroller. I would empty the stroller if baby wanted to nap.

Sometimes my son wants me to carry him. Sometimes he wants to walk. Sometimes he wants to ride.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used both for my first son, as my third came I never usually use it. I used it once at a theme park on dh demand. LOL It all depends on what you like and the baby. My last son much rather have me wear him.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
squirrly
Registered Users

We use both. I had a snap-n-go frame for our infant bucket seat when my son was very small, plus a mei tai. I used both, depending on where we were going and what I needed to be able to do. (Push a shopping cart? Mei tai. Lift large heavy things? Stroller.) The snap-n-go is particularly useful if you're going to fly at all. Makes transporting the carseat a breeze and, even if you wear baby through the airport, gives you a place to stash your bags.

Now that my son is bigger, we have an umbrella stroller and a small stash of carriers.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote