Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mini Minimalist Challenge: 4/1-4/5

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #14

Monday 4.1.13: Purge 5 Easter items. Gifts, toys, junk food, decorations, baskets, etc. I know some of us were already anticipating some extra clutter as a result of this holiday. If this doesn't apply to you, focus on kid items that you have too much of.

Tuesday 4.2.13: Purge 5 items from your kitchen cabinets.

Wednesday 4.3.13: Purge 5 clothing items. Bonus points if you can get your DH to participate!

Thursday 4.4.13: Purge 5 office items. Either just from your physical office (home or workplace), or just office-type items (paperwork, mailing stuff, office supplies, etc.).

Friday 4.5.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

BONUS TASK #1: Do some filing and get your paperwork and paper clutter under control.

BONUS TASK #2: Got a diaper pail? Take the time this week to clean it thoroughly. No pail? Organize your diapering supplies. No diapers? Find something else to do while the rest of us are washing and changing diapers and cleaning our pails.

BONUS TASK #3: Clean the inside of your oven (eek!).

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 4/1-4/5

Loving this weeks tasks. My closet was so overwhelming that I did hang up stuff last week. This gives me the motivation to do the folded stuff on the shelves this week. Easter stuff is already mostly under control. I saved some candy in the cupboard but now I'm re thinking that. I think I'd better just get rid of it. So that may be my purge for easter stuff. As for office stuff, can my desk at work count? I know I probably have a ton at home to do, but I'm back at work and I anticipate being dead tired when I get home. So, maybe I can do a little here and there during the day. My desk at work really needs the help.

Week #14

Monday 4.1.13: Purge 5 Easter items. Got a bag of candy gone.

Tuesday 4.2.13: Purge 5 items from your kitchen cabinets. Got rid of three bottles of lotion from on my buffet and some random loose papers

Wednesday 4.3.13: Purge 5 clothing items. Done, got rid of tons.
Thursday

4.4.13: Purge 5 office items. I didn't have energy for physical items so I cleaned off my computer desktop at work

Friday 4.5.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

BONUS TASK #1: Do some filing and get your paperwork and paper clutter under control. Been working on it.

BONUS TASK #2: Got a diaper pail? Take the time this week to clean it thoroughly. No pail? Organize your diapering supplies. No diapers? Find something else to do while the rest of us are washing and changing diapers and cleaning our pails. No pail! Resting up and trying to feel better instead.

BONUS TASK #3: Clean the inside of your oven (eek!) Done, mine is self cleaning and it's not dirty right now, that's kind of a miracle that there's something on the list that doesn't need work.

Last edited by slimy72; 04-02-2013 at 09:43 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

So ready for this week! Nesting like crazy over here!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I almost forgot, I got my dh to trash a pair of pants that had holes in them, YAY. And I need to take a pair of DS that got holes in them and turn them into shorts. He really needs shorts and I don't want to have to buy a bunch. I already bought two pair and I'm hoping to get away with not spending to much more on his summer clothes. But he outgrew everything from last year.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

slimy, your desk at work definitely counts! A decluttered work environment is also important. And awesome that your DH got rid of a pair of pants.

Erica, gotta love that nesting drive! Last year my house was so nice and tidy after all the decluttering and nesting that I did. I wish I had that energy and motivation now, haha.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Picked all the Easter junk up. Tossed some plastic eggs. Tossed some hard boiled colored eggs. Recycled all the wrappers front toys.

Luckily he didn't get much. A few tiny toys. Some candy and a lunch pail.

In gonna have to hide the stupid basket fil got him. I didn't do a basket for the one reason it would still around and DS would freak if I donated it. Now I have one. Ugh. I'll wait a week then donate it. Hopefully he gets his fill of it for a week.
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

I am definitely going to read Wednesday's task to DH!! Just this morning I was grumbling to him again about the massive amounts of old clothes he keeps in his closet. Most days I really don't care because I have a separate (smaller) closet for my things, but the hamper is in his closet, and it's even gotten to be hard to access that!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So today when I got home from work, Easter had taken over my kitchen :/

I gathered all candy and put it on top of the fridge, tossed the cheapo basket my DS used, put all the plastic eggs back in storage (after I emptied all the gravel out of them!?) And tossed the packaging from their toys. Not too shabby. I actually bought nice baskets for the girls to double as storage when they were done with them. DS1 already has her "little dollies" in hers.

I broke a casserole dish putting the dishes away, does that count as one of my 5 for tomorrow, lol?

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Joining you ladies...I usually just read along with the tasks, but I will try posting to keep myself motivated. Today I covered Monday's easter task and Wednesday's clothing. I brought 2 boxes of clothing to GW this morning.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogers View Post
Joining you ladies...I usually just read along with the tasks, but I will try posting to keep myself motivated. Today I covered Monday's easter task and Wednesday's clothing. I brought 2 boxes of clothing to GW this morning.
Welcome! Great job so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife View Post
So today when I got home from work, Easter had taken over my kitchen :/

I gathered all candy and put it on top of the fridge, tossed the cheapo basket my DS used, put all the plastic eggs back in storage (after I emptied all the gravel out of them!?) And tossed the packaging from their toys. Not too shabby. I actually bought nice baskets for the girls to double as storage when they were done with them. DS1 already has her "little dollies" in hers.

I broke a casserole dish putting the dishes away, does that count as one of my 5 for tomorrow, lol?
I have definitely counted broken things in my count. One less thing in the house! haha

2,014 items in 2014?