Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
who will have a rummage sale this year?

And what is your goal?

We have sales every year, they are hot in our town. I have about 10 tubs of stuff and I hope it will bring in $150. I can hardly wait!

Last year I earned $300 which was very helpful.

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Re: who will have a rummage sale this year?

My kids want to have a garage sale. I told them we could do it in June after school's out. They did one a couple years ago and made about $40 each.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am selling everything online . We live in the country and on a why so it's hard to have sales here. I have made 981$ so far and have so much more to sell
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, someone here started a facebook group and I've been selling there. Super easy. I've made $414 in 2 weeks.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm going to have one this year if I could ever get my stuff all together. The only problem is that people here sometimes only want to pay like .25-.50 for clothes and I keep thinking is it really worth all the work. I probably will do it because I want to make some cash and then I will donate the rest but sort of not really feeling like I want to right now.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I will be. My neighborhood does two sales every year and I usually participate in at least one.

As for goals, honestly, I have tried all the yard sale tips, from organization, to right prices, everything. And I have found that for me, I do the best if I plan very little, and essentially just throw it all out on the lawn and see what happens. I have never ever made more than $125 on a sale. That was my least organized, decided to have the sale on Wednesday, threw the ad up on CL and did a Friday/Saturday sale. So, I have quite putting a lot of work in it. That means, no goals for me, just throw it all out there and see what happens.

Right now, I have a bunch of stuff up on CL. Whatever doesn't sell, it's going in the yard sale in May. It will all be priced to GO. I will probably not make more than $100 and whatever I make will go directly towards my huge yard sale trip at the end of May. My mom and oldest DD and I, plus whoever else we get to join us, all do the whole weekend US 40 yard sale, starting at one end of the state, and going to the other, with 2 separate hotel rooms. It's a lot of fun. Last year I picked up a whole set of 5 cast iron pans for $20. I LOVE them. There are a lot of small towns where the whole town comes out and participates and the businesses set up little vendors, it's so fun.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I will be. My neighborhood does two sales every year and I usually participate in at least one.

As for goals, honestly, I have tried all the yard sale tips, from organization, to right prices, everything. And I have found that for me, I do the best if I plan very little, and essentially just throw it all out on the lawn and see what happens. I have never ever made more than $125 on a sale. That was my least organized, decided to have the sale on Wednesday, threw the ad up on CL and did a Friday/Saturday sale. So, I have quite putting a lot of work in it. That means, no goals for me, just throw it all out there and see what happens.

Right now, I have a bunch of stuff up on CL. Whatever doesn't sell, it's going in the yard sale in May. It will all be priced to GO. I will probably not make more than $100 and whatever I make will go directly towards my huge yard sale trip at the end of May. My mom and oldest DD and I, plus whoever else we get to join us, all do the whole weekend US 40 yard sale, starting at one end of the state, and going to the other, with 2 separate hotel rooms. It's a lot of fun. Last year I picked up a whole set of 5 cast iron pans for $20. I LOVE them. There are a lot of small towns where the whole town comes out and participates and the businesses set up little vendors, it's so fun.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, we will have on in May or June.

We have one every year and do pretty well. Sometimes I do wonder if it's worth it if I put a dollar value on my time, but at the end of the day we usually have a goal in mind for that extra cash, so we do it. One year we made about $800 and went on vacation in Chicago. We are borderline for itemizing on our taxes, even with donations, so either I take the time to have the sale or I spend that time organizing it as a deduction we quite possibly won't be able to take. I'd rather sell it and have the cash now and eliminate the government from that aspect.

This year the sale is a huge part of a savings plan to prepay our DD's kindergarten tuition. So it's worth it, no matter what the time investment. I'm selling larger items on CL and ebay but it doesn't take long to price up a tote full of clothes not worth selling elsewhere. I bought most of it used, so if it survives to see another garage sale and I can get 50 cents for it, that's still pretty awesome.

We've also been on a minimalist journey, so there's a lot of misc to get rid of, too.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 04-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Trying to do a group one work other group in. our area people
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
tlc981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I go back and forth on doing one. We usually make $100-$150. But, it's my aunts house (we live in the basement apartment) and it puts her car out on the street and our stuff in her garage. She says its ok with her, and she even gives us stuff to sell. Its just hard with the 2 little boys wanting to be with me and my oldest wanting his stuff back, LOL. I did take a bunch of pictures of stuff to list on facebook. So I will give that a try.