Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
fabulousmindy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If YOU think he is behind, you could try preschool prep DVDs. Strictly educational, kinda annoying but really help kids learn words of shapes, colors, numbers etc. we used them with limited regular tv.

Advertisement

fabulousmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: TV time Question (& a mini vent)

Your parents are wrong. Toddlers do not tv to learn to speak. They need language interaction. Read books, have conversations with him.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

How did kids learn to talk before TV? All kids are different and learn at different paces. My 10 year old could say colors, alphabet (and recognize most letters) and spell his name by 3. My 8 year old didn't know colors til 2, alphabet and spelling his name by 4 and didn't get letter recognition til kinder. They are just different.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a big fan of limited educational TV. That said, I don't for one minute think that it helps develop the language skills your parents are feeling are lacking. (which they aren't, but that's my next paragraph ) It CAN expose kids to/reinforce concepts such letters, numbers, shapes, colors, counting. It CAN expand their vocabulary. It CAN be a jumping off point for imaginitive play, song, and dance. Of course, parents can do the same thing, but I'll be honest here, Sesame Street has some brilliant ideas that I either just never would have thought up on my own, or am just not capable of recreating at home. I think of it as a source of enrichment rather than primary source for learning.

That said, your son sounds just fine where he is developmentally. He doesn't sound behind at all. The little girl you have for comparison is a) a girl and b) a good bit ahead. My eldest didn't say any real words until 24 months. He's now in the 5th grade, receives gifted services at school, and makes straight As. (in spite of being diagnosed as ADHD-PI) His Nana kept for the first 2 years of his life and she kept the TV on all.the.time. It didn't help him speak any sooner. He still isn't the most verbal kid either. Getting him to talk is like pulling teeth. It's just his personality.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Two dozen words at 20 months is more than enough. He is not speech delayed. And any word he signs count as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. Reading, and interacting with people is what moves speech along, not TV.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

My mother learned in her ESL teacher's course about a little boy who was neglected and left alone all the time with the TV on and never learned to talk until after he was about 5 and was found. They learn through interaction, not TV. If anything the grandparents should be reading to him more. If they insist on TV give them some baby Einstein or other educational cd's and say he's allowed one a day or something.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you mamas! You have made me feel MUCH better! I am not opposed to educational TV later on, but I wanted (& now still will) wait until he is 2. Ii really appreciate your support and you all echoed my thoughts on how TV can be helpful later on. I used to think that it would become a babysitter, but these last 20 months with him I realize that it's much more fun to dance with him than to listen to Barney or whatever. I do look forward to a few minutes of kid-free time to make dinner in peace!
I know my parents mean well, but they can't equate what I did or someone's coworker's baby does that DS doesn't/hasn't yet. Thanks so much y'all!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hello there Karissa!

I love your name. My DD is Larissa : )

I just had to log on and comment after I read your post.

Please, please don't feel like a failure. You are doing wonderful things w/ your DS. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for that. Do it now!

We are a family that limits screen time and we also have the radio on all the time.

Really although well meaning your parents are completely wrong in the letting him watch tv department. Forget everything they said. Why would the tv be effective at teaching him language but the radio (completely AUDIO) is not?

Do your parents even have a clear knowledge of speech delays? I would just either nod and smile when they say this nonsense or tell them you disagree.

Please don't start sitting your little boy in front of the tv because mom and dad think it might get him to speak more. Also even though it is SO hard try not to compare your kid to others because every kid is different and these things won't matter in 3 yrs.

Now go dance and sing w/ your DS! Have fun and don't worry about his speech unless there are real concerns.
Love the name Larissa! And the way you spelled it!

We are bringing the music outside today, signing and dancing for our backyard neighbors to see! Thanks mama!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

As plenty of other have stated, you are doing fine and your parents are quite wrong. Reading and interacting with your child do much more for his language development than plopping him in front of a tv.

DD was much like your friend's kid. She could carry on conversations with adults by the time she turned 2, knew colors, letters, shapes, numbers, etc...

Then came DS. Guess how many words he could say when he turned 2....about 5. That was it. He did sign a good bit which was a huge help for us so that he didn't get frustrated trying to tell us what he wanted. We did our best not to compare the 2, but it was hard not to worry that he was delayed when we had seen how fast our daughter had progressed. He finally started talking around 2.5 and picked it up pretty quick. He's 3.5 now and just now picking up a lot of the things DD knew at 2 (counting, letters, shapes, etc...)

And as far as TV's influence...DD saw absolutely no TV until she was about 3. DS was exposed earlier b/c his sister was watching, but obviously it didn't really help him out eventhough everything that DD was watching was educational programming.

So as everyone else has said, don't worry. You're doing great!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate it when someone else makes me feel bad/like I am failing when my gut tells me that I am doing ok. Even my parents...who never let me watch tv when I was a kid!
DS is such a great kid and I don't think he is behind. He knows exactly what we are saying and I love that he signs words that he can't speak, it really helps with the frustration. And I think part of him knew I was worried about him not speaking because he seems like he is trying a little bit more today to be vocal. We went out to lunch for DH's birthday today and when DH went to get him a carrot off his salad, I told him "Daddy's going to get you a carrot" and he said "cart my Daddy." I don't know if just am paying more attention to see what he says or if he knew I was worried (DH and I have been discussing it today, he is on my side about the TV thing).