Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
So here is another question

What if you are a single mom of 3 kids and do not work and have $0 income besides child support ($10,000 per year). (You eat off of food stamps and wic) would she get a refund for the 3 kids?

I know a lady who has this situation I have described. And dh says if you don't work you don't get $ back.
He also says if a mom were single (say she has 3 kids) and made $20,000 in a year. If she had $4,000 withheld from her check she is only eligible to receive $4,000 back although she has 3 children. I think she would get $3,300 per child. What are your thoughts on these 2 situations I have described?

Thanks
Not true at all. She would qualify for EIC and most likely get back everything she paid PLUS a few thousand more! She wouldn't qualify for the child tax credit though.

Eta- even the woman who gets child support and state aid could file taxes and get money back. The 2nd scenario is much more common. I was a single mom with 2 kids and made probably $16,000/yr? I would get a refund of easily $6,000-7000 which was all I had paid plus EIC!

Advertisement

Last edited by TwinKristi; 04-01-2013 at 06:06 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

What if you are a single mom of 3 kids and do not work and have $0 income besides child support ($10,000 per year). (You eat off of food stamps and wic) would she get a refund for the 3 kids?

I know a lady who has this situation I have described. And dh says if you don't work you don't get $ back.
He also says if a mom were single (say she has 3 kids) and made $20,000 in a year. If she had $4,000 withheld from her check she is only eligible to receive $4,000 back although she has 3 children. I think she would get $3,300 per child. What are your thoughts on these 2 situations I have described?

Thanks
Not sure on the first. I think you need to work to get the EIC but the second would get everything they paid plus way more. I know someone who only makes $30K/year and has 3 kids and gets back about $12K. You can most certainly get back more than you pay (which I think is terrible but that is another thread)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taxes for large familes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post

Thanks
You get tax returns on money paid in. The EIC or earned-income tax credit is specifically for earned income, aka a job. Its set up so that you get more credit with a higher adjusted gross income, up to a certain maximum income. People that get the largest tax returns from credits probably do not qualify for food stamps, but they might qualify for WIC among other higher income government programs.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Thanks
You have to have earned income to get a refund. I think mom 1 would get nothing...and would have no reason to file a return. Mom 2 would get a big refund through child tax credit and earned income credit. She would likely have 0 withheld for income tax on that low of an income with 3 kids. She would get a refund of $3000 of child tax credit and $20,000 earned income would qualify her for $5272 in EIC. Those credits have nothing to do with your withholding.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
cbreeding
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post

Thanks

Yes it is still possible to get money back. I volunteer doing low-income/no-income tax returns, and see it all the time. Our state also has some refundable credits. Often the money received (those that I have prepared)is not a lot but it does help. The child tax credit is refundable so you will receive the amount over your tax liability even if it is $0. Again it is phased out if your income is above a certain limit

Given the two scenarios above.

First: Most likely she would get the refundable child tax credit. $3000

Second: Most likely she would qualify for the Earned Income Credit and the child tax credit. She would also get back the $4000 in withholding. At the very least her refund would be $7000.

Last edited by cbreeding; 04-02-2013 at 07:38 AM.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Having more kids would only reduce our taxable income, not necessarily increase our return. I thought we would get a higher return after having another kid last year, but it was about the same as the year before. He was our 3rd kid and didn't make a lot of difference.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
We have 9 kids and don't get the child tax credit for them.... So they don't help us on our taxes:-(. It only applies under a certain income limit.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does someone know what the limit is for the child tax credit for a single parent? Is it your income before all the adjustments, or the AGI? Thanks.

NM, I googled it and the limit is 75000. And is based on AGI.

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 04-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote