Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Is there any info on a link between dairy and eczema?

DD has always suffered from eczema. It has been bad enough that the doc prescribed prescription strength cream. We were on vacation last week and it really cleared up. We've been back 3 days and it is back with a vengeance- this time it is even on her eyelids which I'm not supposed to put any cream on. While we were on vacation, DD had very little milk. At first I thought it cleared up because of the weather (it gets worse in the winter, but we were in Panama where it was nice and warm and not dry) but am now wondering if the lack of milk helped as I seem to recall hearing about some people who suffer from eczema going dairy free. Is there a link, or am I just making things up in my head?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there any info on a link between dairy and eczema?

I don't know specifically about dairy causing eczema flares with out an intolerance or allergy. It seems I have read that people eliminating any number of things and having a reduction of eczema flares. But have found no research just personal stories. it can't hurt to try. For our experience my dd has a dairy intolerance causing really bad GI symptoms but removal did not effect her eczema at all. removal of an allergen in skin products did reduce her eczema. Coconut and coconut derived ingreds which she was allergic too- she just out grew it, YEAH! That one is hard to work around in health and beauty.

Other things to consider would be products- did you use the same soaps, lotions, detergents, ect on vacation? Did anything else in her diet change like less eggs or less wheat, etc? Egg and milk are the most common.

Environment- if she has dust and/or pollen allergies that can make it worse too, on vacation those things could have been different as well.

If you really suspect the milk then remove it completely for a few weeks and see what happens. Generally it takes longer then a week for dairy to get out of your system completely. You would see improvement within a week, but need to do it for longer to really determine of that was the cause. Took dd 2 weeks of no dairy at all for her GI symptoms to go away. if that doesn't work look at the other factors that are different from you home life vs. your vacation and figure out what you want to try next.

Last edited by jbug_4; 04-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
JuanitaPuanita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My nursling gets outbreaks of eczema if I have too much dairy in my diet. He is in fact lactose intolerant but I can still have small amounts of dairy no problem. To soothe the eczema, may I suggest canus goats milk lotion. We use the fragrance free kind. The entire line scores great on the environmental working groups website. We love the stuff. I always felt weary putting the steroid stuff on my tiny babe
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanitaPuanita View Post
My nursling gets outbreaks of eczema if I have too much dairy in my diet. He is in fact lactose intolerant but I can still have small amounts of dairy no problem.
I just want to clarify this, because I hear it a lot and it can cause confusion when trying to address a dairy issue. Breastmilk has more lactose than cow's milk, and if your child was truly lactose intolerant you would not be able to nurse at all, and you would have found out shortly after birth. True lactose intolerance is called galactosemia and it's a metabolic disorder they test for in the heel stick.

If your child gets eczema or other reaction from dairy, it's a milk protein intolerance or allergy. There's a difference in treatment and diet (i.e., buying lactose free milk will not help a dairy allergy), so that's why I mention it.

Last edited by Belle; 04-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Milk takes a long time to actually get out of the system, more than a week. Did you guys go swimming at all?

We use Emu oil from 4dAcres for eczema, its works amazing and when my babe had outbreaks, it was the only thing she would let us put on (everything else burned or itched, even the for eczema stuff) and it worked fast.

Last edited by Tris; 04-02-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I just want to clarify this, because I hear it a lot and it can cause confusion when trying to address a dairy issue. Breastmilk has more lactose than cow's milk, and if your child was truly lactose intolerant you would not be able to nurse at all, and you would have found out shortly after birth. True lactose intolerance is called galactosemia and it's a metabolic disorder they test for in the heel stick.

If your child gets eczema or other reaction from dairy, it's a milk protein intolerance or allergy. There's a difference in treatment and diet (i.e., buying lactose free milk will not help a dairy allergy), so that's why I mention it.
Breastmilk also contains the enzyme to break down the lactose. Commercial dairy does not. If there is more lactose than enzyme, the child could still be reacting to the lactose in the non-human dairy.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm......I looked into this when DS2 had it badly as a baby. He was bf until 18 months. Weirdly though that was when it was at it's worst, when being bf, but then again eczema is worst at that age in general.

I would try an elimination diet and see if it has any effect if that is what you suspect. I did suspect that at one point but there are a lot of factors. Recently I have figured that he has some kind of problem with dairy though(stomach pains frequently after drinking milk) so I'm trying to see how he does with other milks. He is 7.

It's also VERY hard to figure out the WHY while on vacation as there are so many differences. We went to Wisconsin Dells 2 years ago for spring break. Day we got back he had a huge, like frankinstein looking rash/bumps all over his body reaction. Needed steroids, couldn't go to school etc. We could never figure out why though. I was thinking the milk, the pool, the laundry detergent. He had a bite of lobster, but it wasn't that. Still no idea which is a little scary.....will most likely get him tested at some point.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Food sensitivities can absolutely cause eczema. One of the first things my sons GI dr looked at was his skin and said he was clearly reacting to something based on his eczema. As we are figuring out the causes, it is clearing up. For us its dairy, almonds, and coconut.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My eczema clears up when I get more sun exposure. Not to disregard your theory because there is a food link too.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote