Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
emmo
Registered Users
seller

Full Day or Half Day PreK?

My son is four and will be entering PreK in August. It appears that most of the public schools around here have been switching to full day preK only (8:20-3:10). Is this too much? I was expecting to put him in half day PreK, so discovering this has been hard on me. Im sure I can transfer him to another school that is half day, but, I feel like I don't know enough about the pros/cons.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Advertisement

emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Full Day or Half Day PreK?

I, personally don't even like full day kindergarten, much less full day pre-K.

I think unless your child is in Daycare all day anyway, or you don't read to him or her, or do anything teachable with him or her, half day is fine at this age.

I feel like full day preschool and full day kindergarten causes school burnout faster. By 3nd grade kids are balking at school now because it's been shoved down their throats since age four.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

What is the daily schedule? If there is a lot of free play and recess and nap time it may not be as bad as it sounds.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

That upsets me. I am a former kindergarten teacher myself, and I think even full-day kindergarten is too much. Just let kids have their childhood.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
emmo
Registered Users
seller

It bothers me, too. I'm a School Psychologist (currently a SAHM) and I can see how it would be beneficial for kids who are in low income areas or in bad home environments, but, otherwise it just feels like too much. But maybe I'm missing something..? My son is very bright- is already reading and writing simple words, so I don't want to feel like I'm cheating him by not putting him in school full time, but it still seems too young.

I'm not sure of the daily schedule. Maybe I should call and ask.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
weaverk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Half day is what we are looking for. We and some other families in our district are really pushing for it. It is totally a funding thing, they get more money for the kids being there full time, but our curriculum is NO different so it is ALOT of play and rest time... I would rather my kid be home personally.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Angel89411
Banned

DS1 goes to full day and ds2 will too. But this school believes in learning through play. While they do have some lessons, most of their day is made up of play centers, art, music, pe and recess. They do this until 2nd grade where they start gravitating more towards a structured classroom. They try to make the year a gradual change for them.

If it were a full structured day, I'd say no. No way my DS would even go for it.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

What about a local church? Most of them have half days - some even have it for a few hours a week (one or two half days). That way it is not so regulated by your local goverment.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
emmo
Registered Users
seller

He goes to a 2 day a week PreK/MDO right now (5 hours a day)- but it's not free, lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD started full time pre-k this year. Initially I was afraid it would be too much bs he had never even been to daycare. However, she is very bright, head of her class and loves it. She has excelled from the first day and gets mad when it isn't a school day. I think it depends on the kiddo

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum