Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad
I thought half-day was a recent thing to help with budgets.

My siblings and I all went to kindergarten in different states (mid to late 80s) and we all had full day kindergarten.

I've only seen full-day pre-k (through the school district) in low income areas.
I had half day kindy in the mid 80's in WI. No 4k then.

Advertisement

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Re: Full Day or Half Day PreK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmo View Post
The last school district I worked in was half day prek and half day kinder... it was a relatively higher income town... the city I live in has lots of lower income people, so maybe that has something to do with why they are doing full day preK at pretty much every school? Although the particular school I was looking at is very high income neighborhood. IDK
Possibly. The private school we looked at is $10,000/year for kindergarten and that was just the regular school hours. There were additional fees for dropping off early and keeping the kids until 6 in the after school program (school is like 8-3). I would guess most people paying $10,000 for kindergarten are dual income families?

This is the place that advertises half day program for both preK and K and then when I called said that in our area they only offer full day.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I think half a day is too much but I'd certainly pick that over a full day.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Our daughter started attending preschool 3 days a week at age 4. Previous to that, she had never been in daycare or even had a babysitter. Preschool was her first experience in the care of an adult other than her dad and I. So we were worried that full-day would be too much for her. We put her in with the intention of her only going half-day. That lasted less than a week. She loved it soooo much that she begged to stay. She made friends and had a blast. She's been going for 6 months now and still loves it. She starts at about 8:00am and we can pick her up as late as 5:00pm. Even if we get there at 4:30, she will beg to stay longer. She was actually in tears when I picked her up yesterday because she didn't want to leave her friend.

So I say let your kiddo decide how much they want. Our child surprised us with how much she loved it. It was her insistence that caused us to go from half-day to full-day. She loves it at home, don't get me wrong. But spending a day with all her new best friends is a dream come true for her.

Last edited by Janine; 04-02-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
emmo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Our daughter started preschool at 4. Previous to that, she had never been in daycare or even had a babysitter. Preschool was her first experience in the care of an adult other than her dad and I. So we were worried that full-day would be too much for her. We put her in with the intention of her only going half-day. That lasted less than a week. She loved it soooo much that she begged to stay. She made friends and had a blast. She's been going for 6 months now and still loves it. She starts at about 8:00am and we can pick her up as late as 5:00pm. Even if we get there at 4:30, she will beg to stay longer. She was actually in tears when I picked her up yesterday because she didn't want to leave her friend.

So I say let your kiddo decide how much they want. Our child surprised us with how much she loved it. It was her insistence that caused us to go from half-day to full-day. She loves it at home, don't get me wrong. But spending a day with all her new best friends is a dream come true for her.
Interesting. Well, he loves his 2 days a week right now. But he is tired at the end of the day.
emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another former kindergarten teacher who is not even a fan of full day kindergarten, much less preschool.

I understand it is more convenient when you are working, and if your child has to be some place all day, that is the better solution than daycare IMO, BUT I don't believe that it's the best situation for children who don't have to be somewhere else all day.

We purposely are choosing to send our son to public school for kindergarten instead of the private school where I taught (it was half day when I was there) because the public school offers only half day and the private school only full day. He'll probably then go to the private school for 1st grade.

That is a LONG time for someone that young to be in a school setting, now if it is mostly play then sure, but then really it's like enriched daycare. I think academic school for a full day is WAY too much for someone younger than 5 or 6. Not to say that some kids won't thrive that way, but for the majority, they are not mature enough at that age.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
emmo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Our daughter started attending preschool 3 days a week at age 4. Previous to that, she had never been in daycare or even had a babysitter. Preschool was her first experience in the care of an adult other than her dad and I. So we were worried that full-day would be too much for her. We put her in with the intention of her only going half-day. That lasted less than a week. She loved it soooo much that she begged to stay. She made friends and had a blast. She's been going for 6 months now and still loves it. She starts at about 8:00am and we can pick her up as late as 5:00pm. Even if we get there at 4:30, she will beg to stay longer. She was actually in tears when I picked her up yesterday because she didn't want to leave her friend.

I just reread.. So is she going full day 3 days a week? Or 5? If not, how do you think she would do with 5?
emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmo

I just reread.. So is she going full day 3 days a week? Or 5? If not, how do you think she would do with 5?
She would do fine with 5 days a week. Honestly the main reasons we only do 3 is because we miss her too much when she is there. And the cost as well. Private preschool here is pretty expensive. 5 days a week will run you $800+ a month here. She will be staring 5 days in a couple months in preparation for kindergarten this fall, so we'll see how it goes! But I think she will do great.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 4 year old is attending pre-k in our school district, which I think is probably a bit different than preschool. It's a half day of constant activity, much of it academic or fine motor. My daughter is doing very well, meeting or exceeding expectations and all that, but she is very ready to come home when I pick her up. I wish kindergarten could be like this too. Waldorf does it that way but we can't really afford it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #30
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by danielle; 04-03-2013 at 06:45 AM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote