Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Do you declutter/get rid of stuff if you know your income will drop

and you may actually need those items in the future?

Advertisement

Last edited by ltlmrs; 04-04-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Removed a bunch of rambling personal details
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you declutter/get rid of stuff if you know your income will drop

What kind of stuff do you want to keep? For my homebirth, I think I spent $50 on disposable pads, a bottle of iodine, etc, most of which we didn't end up using at all - I absolutely would not move those kinds of things around. It's just not worth it.

I could see maybe keeping some extra house stuff, like curtains or frames, until you see where you are settled as you may be able to use them in your new house. I could see keeping to sell (or selling now) higher value items rather than tossing or donating them. But, in general, if you don't need it now, the odds that you will need it later are pretty slim...

We just moved from the midwest to the east coast to a much smaller place (house to apartment). I didn't do any decluttering before moving (we did not physically pack/move ourselves - we let the movers do it), and now it is a very slow slog to go through everything and I am thinking - why did I keep this junk? Should I try to find a place for this or toss it? What if we move to a house in the future - will I want it then? It's annoying. It's not the end of the world to move everything with you, but it's probably easier not to.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with the above.

What sorts of items? I'd just be honest about how/why you'd need the items in the future. Don't declutter just to get rid of stuff. But if you don't use it now, why not? Would you have a reason to need it later? Would you really need to replace it later if you did get rid of it? Does something else you already have serve a double purpose? Would it be very expensive to replace if you did desperately need it?

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we down sized from 1500 foot square home, with an outdoor storage shed to, 1,300 or less and no storage shed. I de-cluttered, not enough as I still had to make two good will runs after our move. I do not regret getting rid of anything I did. Just make sure to be certain you wont miss the things you are getting rid of first. I fall in to hoarder tendencies when ever we have a pay cut, job loss, move or pregnancy. I think its kind of normal and just make sure you dont let it get out of hand.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If your first instinct is to get rid of it, do it! We left our couch on the curb of the old house, even knowing we really wouldn't be able to afford to buy a new one after the move. Honestly, it is better to have no couch than one we hate. We moved last July, and still haven't replaced it. Oddly enough, we don't really miss it...
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
If your first instinct is to get rid of it, do it! We left our couch on the curb of the old house, even knowing we really wouldn't be able to afford to buy a new one after the move. Honestly, it is better to have no couch than one we hate. We moved last July, and still haven't replaced it. Oddly enough, we don't really miss it...
See, we did that in the last move (it wouldn't fit into the truck and we just decided to leave it behind rather than come back for it) and it was a nice sleeper couch that we have never been able to replace. For a long time we had a handed down couch that was all torn up. Now we have a decent handed down couch but it's not as nice as the one we left behind. Honestly, furniture is not even in our budget at all so I'm fairly certain that this time around no furniture is getting left behind.

I do have a closet full of stuff that we've been saving for "when we have a house" and to be honest I have no idea what's in there. I guess that's a good place to start

I guess partly I'm just whining. Moving in the last half of the last trimester is really stressful.

Last edited by ltlmrs; 04-04-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Removed a bunch of rambling personal details.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh, I hear you on this! We moved during the last trimester while I was pregnant with my last. We moved over 3 hours away and were taking a huge pay cut in the process. My whole life I've had to fight the urge to keep things in case we can't afford to replace them later. I've lived below the poverty line pretty much my whole adult life, so that's a huge part of it.

What I've learned? If you haven't used it in a couple months, you probably won't need it before you can afford to replace it. Clothes can be picked up at the thrift store, and sometimes you can find some nice, new, high ticket garments. I've on occasion found stuff with the tag still on it. You can also keep an eye out on Craigslist and Freecycle for furniture, though it disappears fast. I've known a few people who make a hefty sum out of curbside shopping for things to sell at yard sales. They tell me you can find some really good furniture just kicked to the curb. There are inexpensive ways to replace just about anything if you're willing to do it.

As for books, I'm not an ebook kind of person. Instead I frequent the library. They have tons of books available that are paid for by tax dollars. Some libraries will take donations for circulation or book sales. Library book sales are awesome. That's where my aunt finds a lot of books for her nieces/nephwes/great-nieces/great-nephews. Where there's a will for inexpensive books, there's a way.

It's challenging, but if you just go for it and find you need something you gave up, there are always inexpensive ways to replace it later
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't know how the numbers work out exactly, but I get receipts for donations and think the deduction might cover the one item per 100 that I actually need again. Might be optimistic numbers, but I figure it probably helps at least. I need to declutter badly right now but just can't seem to get it done. It's on my list of things to do before baby gets here (mid-June). Should have done it when I had more energy, haha.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Haha YES! We took about a 20k cut in income for my husband and I to go back to school. Having graduate education will be better for us long run, but it was hard initially to not be able to have the money I wanted for savings or to buy ____.

But a decrease in income often means a smaller home or apartment. We don't have room for crap. Or, it becomes like at our last place, where we technically fit all the stuff in, but we were overcome. It was nuts!

I really like to think about how I am making someone's day when they go to the thrift store and find some (awesome) thing I donated. I also like to remind myself how life is busy enough with being a wife, mom, student, and trying to take care of me. The more I minimize, the easier the "life upkeep" becomes. Fewer toys=5 minutes to pick up the living room. Fewer dishes=not getting overrun by dishes.

I also like to think about passing it forward and that if we ever really needed something, we'd be able to find it. A lot of it is sooo mental, and just trusting in our ability to provide for ourselves and what we need.

Another thing to consider is trying to sell some items instead of donating everything. I donate most things, but I've sold some things recently, and it's paying for new bras (hallelujah!), a trip with my mom, and some extra.

For me, it is about stepping away from my fear, and acting from a place of strength. Saying, I can do this, and actively creating the life I want/ we want as a family instead of holding on to a bunch of stuff "just in case".
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Another thing is that out of all the stuff I've purged, I really couldn't tell you what hardly any of it was, and I don't miss any of it. Knowing I don't regret anything I've purged helps me let go of more stuff when I'm doing "what ifs?". There are a bunch of threads where others say the same thing.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote