Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Doing the no spend thing

So, I may (read: did) have spent somewhere near $700 dollars on diapers in March And hubby spent more than that on his guitar building hobby.
Like last Tuesday we had $2000, we paid our electric bill ($332) and right now we have $100. I'm really disappointed in us. I suggested that we do the no spend thing and hubby agreed. He wants to try for a month. I think we should start with a week because I know he will have a much harder time with this than I will.
I know there are a couple other DS minimalists doing this, for like a year. Does anyone have tips? TIA!

Advertisement

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Talia01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am doing a no spend April. Groceries/gas/bills are exempt....but I will no be buying any food that is processed and instead will make our breads/crackers/tomatoe sauces etc.
For me it is like the next stage in minimalism- basic ingredients that are useful for many different dishes.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doing the no spend thing

I am trying for a no spend month. We had a bunch of expenses last month and I really want to get caught up again. I struggle with eating out, so that is my major cut this month. OUCH!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We really struggle with eating out. I'd say it takes a good 20-30% of our income, whereas our bills in total are 25-40% (excluding gas/groceries/medication). I'm really starting to get excited about it.

Our rules are:
No spending on drinks/snacks/miscellaneous at gas stations
Avoiding flea markets/the mall/facebook for me b/c all of the swap stuff shows up on my newsfeed
Only spending money on our monthly bills, household essentials, gas, DH's medicines ($124/week).
We get food stamps, so we are going to meal plan and cut drinking soda so that we don't exceed our $367 for the month. (Please don't lecture me about being a leach on tax payers, as you don't know my situation.)

Good Luck to everyone. I'd love to hear about how you're doing throughout the month.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am already having a hard time this morning! I checked facebook, which I know I shouldn't have and saw that sloomb stocked last night. Of course when I'm trying not to spend money they have DS's size in a color I want
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have been debating removing 'deal' stuff from my FB feed. Some of the sites are more than just deals, so it's hard to just get rid of it all.

There was someone on here who started a thread for no spend at the beginning of the year but she was having difficulty keeping up with it and recently was looking for advice to get back into it. Most people said to break down the goals into smaller pieces.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did a no spend last month and it was really good for me. I was allowed to spend money that wasn't in any account though, so I could spend paypal, cash, gift cards, etc. I earned money through Swagbucks and Shopkick and participating in research studies on campus. I also sold a lot on Craigslist, which was great for getting things out of my house! Plus, I realized how much money I had floating around in unused gift cards, rewards, store credits, etc. It was fun!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Gl, we are here for you =D

Thankfully I don't have a big spending problem (though dp would agree sometimes =P ) , I think deleting the businesses from fb would be a great start. Silly bst boards are my down fall - I just got an organic ergo and a ring sling for 20$ total from one last week...I didn't REALLY need another carrier but for that price I am sure glad I grabbed it. I have friends coming to visit with babies in the summer and we will be doing hiking trails with babies on backs. I'll pass them around when we are done with them. Turns out I like the ergo more than my boba but dp prefers that one so both are staying right now.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
ClothDiaperFashionista
Registered Users
Formerly: azzmeg
seller

My Mood:

Like any addiction, you have to remove yourself from the situation where it is easy to fall into old behavior. So if you are seeing stuff on FB, block that stuff or just opt out of FB for the week. You love your dipes (so do many of us, that's why we're here). Instead of thinking about/browsing/buying diapers, focus on enjoying using the ones you have. I used to set up different little challenges for myself to keep things fresh. One day I would say, ok I will only diaper with a certain color or only solids or only patterns. Or I could say, ok, I will only do fitteds today or I will only do flats. Its a way to enjoy your hobby without shopping, otherwise shopping is the real hobby, kwim?

Good luck mama!
ClothDiaperFashionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I am in. I have a few preplanned expenses that may come like coop shipping. But nothing we don't need. And trying to reduce food costs.