Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Registered Users
Plus side to purging - money!

I've been purging like crazy with this baby on the way, and I've managed to declutter a ton of stuff. Mostly I've just given things away on freecycle, but I have taken the time to sell things that would be worth it. In the past I've sold things to make money for other things... but my money box is so full and there's really only a few things I'm interested in buying with it thanks to minimalism (a changing table, and something for outdoor toy storage, maybe a water/sensory table).

Here's my craigslist sales from the last month (all of this stuff sold for pretty close to what I paid for it):
playhut pop up tents $20
home theater system $40
electric guitar $25
wardrobe $50
queen bed $150
nursery set $55
filing cabinet $10
patio umbrellas $30

And my diapers for sale pile used to take up 2 huge bags... I'm down to just 7 diapers left since I've been putting some effort into selling! Diapers sold in the last month: 6 large sbish fitteds, 2 blueberry bamboo fitteds, 1 blueberry pocket, 6 bububebe fitteds, 7 blueberry newborn fitteds, 6 NB prefolds, 2 NB covers, 3 NB bum genius dipes, 6 kissaluvs fitteds, 2 AIOs, and 1 wool soaker. I don't have the totals on all that, but I did manage to get maybe 60-70% retail on most of those.

I've also posted at least 50 listings on freecycle and free craigslist in the last month. It's amazing how much I've managed to get rid of (and honestly there's still a lot of stuff here). A lot of people think I'm crazy... but all that money sure isn't crazy. I used to collect stuff just for the sake of having stuff and "just in case I ever need it." I used to be a free-craigslist junkie that checked multiple times a day watching for neat free stuff. Not anymore. It's so nice to simplify things and pare down to what we actually use.

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Plus side to purging - money!

~ Heidi ~ Christian Wife and Mom
DS ~ DD ~ DS
Rustic Barnyard - Custom Refinished Furniture
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Wow! Great job!!
Crunchy Mama to my girly girl (11/07)
and my little dude (12/09)

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Registered Users

That's awesome!! I'm on a mission to pay my DD's entire kindergarten tuition up front by August and have been selling like crazy to meet that goal. I've sold a ton on here, ebay and CL. Our basement looks like a thrift store exploded while I ready for a garage sale next month, too. I've reached $4000 of my $5000 goal, the long slow way. lol
Amy ~ Everything in moderation, WOH, glass half full, not committed to any labels, try, try again mama to 3! H 11/07 and M 8/10 and B 8/12
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Users
Very exciting!
I have had some luck with selling items, but I haven't had many big ticket items for sale. Just last night, however, I perused my basement for things to sell. I came across a set of Samsonite luggage we never use, and a few other items. Looking forward to taking photos soon, and seeing if I can sell anything. I have decided that I will set a limit of two months for items I have listed for sale. If they don't sell before the two months mark, I will donate.
Make Mine Home
indigo152 is offline   Reply With Quote