Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Counter Clutter

How do you deal with it when it isn't YOUR clutter? gah dp thinks that this is perfectly acceptable and it drives me batty.

'Sorry girls, mommy went crazy and killed and/or left daddy because he wouldn't let me get junk off of the counter' is a thought that goes through my head more often than I care to admit. - No I don't actually say it (except to him, lol).

WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Counter Clutter

I would buy a wall storage solution from ikea. Tell him it's like a mini office lol. My dh was raised with clutter so he sees nothing wrong with crap everywhere.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

My biggest issue is all of the accessories. Seriously dude, we have a small kitchen.

He likes his stand mixer,grinder, kettle, espresso machine thing, french press, TWO cannisters, honey, etc. ON the counters. I got him to put the mixer on top but everything else is still there.

I drink water. I'm not a tea, coffee or fancy dancy latte/cappuccino/ etc. drinker.

I'd like it to be JUST the unpaper towel dispenser. Am I unreasonable?

Clutter collects clutter & then I get overwhelmed.

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 04-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

And those glass things on top..I don't even know WHAT they are. We have never used them. Not ever but I'm not allowed to get rid of them because there might be an instance one day when he will want them.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First, I took everything off of my kitchen surfaces besides my stand mixer (including counter, table, etc). Then I took all of DH's stuff and put it on the coffee table. I told him to de-clutter and then organized an area for his stuff. Right now it's a basket and a drawer. I go through it regularly and ask him to do the same.
What does he use the counter for? Get an organizer with a place to charge the phone, keep things, etc. Also, just grab whats left and put it away if it has a better home.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
My biggest issue is all of the accessories. Seriously dude, we have a small kitchen.

He likes his stand mixer,grinder, kettle, espresso machine thing, french press, TWO cannisters, honey, etc. ON the counters. I got him to put the mixer on top but everything else is still there.

I drink water. I'm not a tea, coffee or fancy dancy latte/cappuccino/ etc. drinker.

I'd like it to be JUST the unpaper towel dispenser. Am I unreasonable?

Clutter collects clutter & then I get overwhelmed.
Honestly, I just put stuff away before I head to bed at night. It's annoying when DH leaves stuff out but I'm the one who wants it put away, so that's what I do.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Honest I think you need to compromise. I use my coffee maker multiple times a day and so it sits on the counter. Maybe see if he can remove half of the items and work from there

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you clean a cupboard out that is above the punter then just put the counter items in there when they aren't in use? Honestly i dont think your counters look bad at all
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
Honest I think you need to compromise. I use my coffee maker multiple times a day and so it sits on the counter. Maybe see if he can remove half of the items and work from there
Same here. My counters have toaster, bread box, coffee maker and radio because those things are used daily.

For our phones, we keep our chargers by our nightstands so they get charged at night. Could you convince him that you feel more secure having the phone by your bed at night?

As for papers, I have DH pretty well trained but if he does leave something laying around I relocate it to his desk chair.

I also keep an empty basket on top of my fridge which I use to toss everything in if I'm cleaning the counters or if someone is stopping by with short notice.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic

Same here. My counters have toaster, bread box, coffee maker and radio because those things are used daily.

For our phones, we keep our chargers by our nightstands so they get charged at night. Could you convince him that you feel more secure having the phone by your bed at night?

As for papers, I have DH pretty well trained but if he does leave something laying around I relocate it to his desk chair.

I also keep an empty basket on top of my fridge which I use to toss everything in if I'm cleaning the counters or if someone is stopping by with short notice.
Eta: maybe you could find a basket that fits in one of your cabinets. He could put all his stuff together in tht basket and pull it out as needed.