Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Counter Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Eta: maybe you could find a basket that fits in one of your cabinets. He could put all his stuff together in tht basket and pull it out as needed.
Good idea about the basket.

I'm not as picky as it seemed. I am ok with the toaster oven and the kettle staying out, and even the french press if it must but the espresso machine gets used max 1-2x a week. I don't think coffee needs to sit out because he likes the canister/it is tucked behind.

As soon as nursling stops I'm going to make soup and try to relocate our plastic dishes so I can use the middle shelf on the cupboard for these. He may switch it when he sees it but I'll try =D

I get no say in the kitchen. He WILL not go to less than 16 plates, bowls, etc.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

I didn't realize all the gadgets were his too lol! Have u thought about getting a k cup or tassimo type coffee maker so it does multiple drinks? That would get rid of the kettle etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I cleared my counters this week, makes a huge difference in clean up and peace of mind. I would ask him to compromise and try for a month to work with an alternative resting place for all his stuff. He may actually enjoy seeing the clear space. And, they are not that bad at all, nowhere near my miles and miles of counter crap. It took me the better part of a day to find new homes and declutter my counters properly. :-(

Oh and btw, I love that lil honey bee dispenser. What is that?!?

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 04-03-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smplmama View Post
I didn't realize all the gadgets were his too lol! Have u thought about getting a k cup or tassimo type coffee maker so it does multiple drinks? That would get rid of the kettle etc.
I'll take a better angle pic later, silly baby didn't let me get anything done other than make soup but he is gone tonight =)

He wont do k cups or anything, he likes good coffee and he likes to make it all himself, right down to the grinding. Plus he drinks tea sometimes so he needs the kettle & tea pot & all the junk related to that did I mention I like water...& only water so spending on all this kind of makes my head spin.

Pretty much everything kitchen related is his & his only interest is to add more, lol. There is an ice cream maker on the top of the cupboards & half the time a food processor too (we often borrow a friends to make dishes that require it since we can't afford the 350$ one he wants).
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
I cleared my counters this week, makes a huge difference in clean up and peace of mind. I would ask him to compromise and try for a month to work with an alternative resting place for all his stuff. He may actually enjoy seeing the clear space. And, they are not that bad at all, nowhere near my miles and miles of counter crap. It took me the better part of a day to find new homes and declutter my counters properly. :-(

Oh and btw, I love that lil honey bee dispenser. What is that?!?
That's a good idea. I'll see if I can get him to agree to 3 weeks =) His mom, brother and my friend are coming to stay with us for a week at the end of the month for Beck's birthday!

Found out the cupboard is too short to fit that thing into it so it'll have to go on top.

The honey bee dispenser is just a regular bottle of honey bought from the store, he likes it in his coffee - it makes sense to have that on the counter since it freezes in our cupboards =/

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 04-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

It doesn't look all that bad... but it would drive me crazy too

I would get rid of all the small stuff... if you left just the papertowel dispenser, the coffee maker and whatever fits on the wooden board (so the kettle can stay), plus your kitchen soap and scrubby... I think it will feel much calmer to you.

I have a feeling getting rid of the coffee maker is going to be a hard sell for you (I'm a coffee drinker and my coffee maker doesn't ever leave my counter!) But really there is no good reason to keep canisters, phones, grinders, jelly jars (and all that other stuff that can easily be put away) on the counter... hopefully you can convince DP
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetest View Post
It doesn't look all that bad... but it would drive me crazy too

I would get rid of all the small stuff... if you left just the papertowel dispenser, the coffee maker and whatever fits on the wooden board (so the kettle can stay), plus your kitchen soap and scrubby... I think it will feel much calmer to you.

I have a feeling getting rid of the coffee maker is going to be a hard sell for you (I'm a coffee drinker and my coffee maker doesn't ever leave my counter!) But really there is no good reason to keep canisters, phones, grinders, jelly jars (and all that other stuff that can easily be put away) on the counter... hopefully you can convince DP
Thanks. This is what it looks like right now and makes me want to SCREAM!!! I seriously cannot function in a room that looks like this. Unfortunately this baby is just not going to let me fix it right now and dp was home less than an hour tonight & is out of town until 11. Looks like a tomorrow project =/

Terrible cell phone picture but you get the idea. This is the whole room.

(The wooden bowl has been sitting there since..Sunday when we had friends over for Easter, they have been supposed to come grab it since then oyy...I don't know where the wine belongs...somewhere downstairs but I'm not a drinker. The water pitcher needs to be filled and returned to the fridge but there is a pot in the sink so I can't fill it...the rest of the dishes are all clean but need to be put away, there is some recycling that needs to be taken to the bins, etc..it is an embarassing disaster. Our dishwasher flooded the kitchen while I made soup earlier so I have to hand wash everything there too, gah).

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 04-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Baby let me do a little. I actually feel like I can breathe when I walk into this room now. We will see how he takes it when he gets home at 11. Maybe if I offer to get things down and put them away whenever I am around he will let me keep it like this.

The stool and the baby have both been put away..I can't reach inside most of the cupboards/dd1 needs it to help us cook so the stool is always close.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #19
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Question Re: Counter Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
Baby let me do a little. I actually feel like I can breathe when I walk into this room now. We will see how he takes it when he gets home at 11. Maybe if I offer to get things down and put them away whenever I am around he will let me keep it like this.

The stool and the baby have both been put away..I can't reach inside most of the cupboards/dd1 needs it to help us cook so the stool is always close.
IMPRESSED! I bet you will feel so much better when you walk back in there thru the week. I too have been enjoying my cleared counters so much, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Question:

Our toaster is going out. We keep it tucked away in a bottom cabinet when not in use, but do I really need to replace it when it goes out?

Does anyone think a toaster is necessary when you have a perfectly good oven?

Does it make more sense to just make toast in the oven or is that wasting too much energy to toast a bagel or a couple slices of bread on a regular basis....
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
IMPRESSED!
Question:

Our toaster is going out. We keep it tucked away in a bottom cabinet when not in use, but do I really need to replace it when it goes out?

Does anyone think a toaster is necessary when you have a perfectly good oven?

Does it make more sense to just make toast in the oven or is that wasting too much energy to toast a bagel or a couple slices of bread on a regular basis....
For me personally our toaster oven must stay, I definitely notice it when we go stay with family and they don't have one. We are fine without a toaster but need this. We use it a LOT.

We don't have air conditioning so turning on our oven in the summer is pretty silly, especially for a couple of slices of bread. I don't think I could handle a conventional toaster since it is so limited. We reheat dinners, cook individual portions, etc.

& with the kitchen, I already feel less cranky/frazzled. We woke up late & instead of going crazy stressing and yelling at my kid I am fine with us just going in later (leaving for the bus is 40 minutes earlier than if we just walk)...so we are going to enjoy a nice walk on a cold morning and I'll come home to a CLEAN house!