Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS + No Antibiotics

i was gbs+ with my third child. I got the antibiotics because the benefits outweigh the risks. and im not a vaccine happy girl. i however denied the eye drops. and everything else. everything turned out perfectly fine! don't sweat it girl!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would definitely get the antibiotics.

I have a personal friend who is allergic to penicillin, the other antibiotics didn't work and her son was in the NICU for a week with issues.

I would much rather myself get antibiotics than have my baby deal with 1) that separation from momma and 2) the treatments.

there is a very heated debate about this in the pregnancy/labor and delivery forum. If you're interested in seeing lots of opinions.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I would get them. I really think the benefits outweigh the risks. but everyone has their opinion on this.
I agree. I've unfortunately been GBS+ with all 3 of my pregnancies. With the first two we had no known side effects of the antibiotics. Would I like to avoid them? Definitely! I tried lots of natural prevention methods in hopes that I would be negative this time. Unfortunately I'm not and to decrease the risk of a serious illness from 1 in 200 without to 1 in 4000 with by me getting a medication it's worth it.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

My MW's told me (& I read this in many sources) that there is a .05% chance of a baby developing an infection if mama has an active GBS infection (so 1 in 200 babies **may** develop an infection IF mama has an active infection), yet I read some staggering stats about mamas who have the ABX & the babies have something crazy like a 94%+ chance of the baby being resistant to ABX. AND just because mama tests positive doesn't mean there is an ACTIVE infection.

My most recent MWs have mamas use garlic vaginally if there is a + GBS test & then they retest after a week of that, which almost always clears it up.

I honestly was unaware of anybody being able to refuse ABX. I know if you refuse the test then the hospital treats the baby as though you were positive even though there is no proof of that. I was told by the hospital MW's I saw that if there was any sign of anything they'd test the baby if I refused the GBS test.

If you think you will refuse the ABX, I would question whether you'd even want to do the test. I don't think taking ABX is something that should be lightly considered, & yes, there are babies who have been sickened (or worse) by GBS & you have to decide what your greatest risk is going to be... exposing your baby to ABX unnecessarily & possibly causing baby to be resistant to ABX as well as wiping out all the healthy gut flora which could set the baby up for a lifetime of issues (I have had so many issues caused by ABX & the horrible overuse of them for me since birth), or is the greater risk a 1/2% chance of possibly developing an infection?! Tough call because either way if there was a negative consequence from either decision, you will probably always doubt, question, & regret.

I can say that all of the mamas I know IRL who have had the ABX have kiddos who have had chronic digestive issues, ear infections, etc... no formal study, but enough for me to take note & consider that in my decision.

Whatever decision you make, just tell yourself you made the best decision w/what you knew at that time!

I had a horrible time trying to decide on rhogam my most recent pregnancy. GBS was not hard for me to decide on, but rhogam was extremely challenging, even though I thought I had it all figured out & my mind made up. I had DH make the final call, which threw him off because he said I do all the research & know all the pregnancy stuff... I printed out the stats & had him read, had him do his own research, we both prayed, & then decided. It was so challenging!

I applaud you for not just going with the flow without researching... too many people just take stuff for granted & do whatever they are told or what everybody else does w/no clue as to what the true risks are/can be. Even if you end up doing things different from what I would do, I think it is awesome you are actually researching...more mamas to be should do that! It seems many mamas spend more time looking at a Starbucks order board or on Facebook than they do thoroughly researching the things they should.... kudos to you!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nevermind. i don't want to get into this debate.

Last edited by steph410; 04-04-2013 at 06:15 AM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post

I don't really like this stereotype. and my feeling is that part of the reason why it can be ok in some instances to not "thoroughly research" something as a layperson, is that OBs went to school for years and years and years, had residencies in hospitals, etc and scientists spent their careers doing actual scientific studies on these things. that is why, generally speaking, we can trust that they know more than we do. we aren't going to debunk the medical community by looking up a topic on google. it's good to ask questions, and find out why they want us to do one test or another. and to find out if some are not as important, etc. Just because someone does take the antibiotics does not make them an ignorant follower of whatever they are told to do.
Thank you! Perfectly said. We trust the bus driver and the airline pilot and trust that they have been educated and trained for their job. We trust that there are rules safeguards and standards here but you cannot trust the doctor? I am not saying no to educate yourself and ask questions but there are so many preventable conditions.

To the poster who claims kids getting antibiotics have digestive problems and other ailments is an ignorant thing to say ( even with your disclaimer of no formal studies ). Even an economics major can debunk that with a discussion about causation and correlation. You have no idea what is going on the health, medical conditions and other factors affecting those with the problems. This is why formal studies are done.

Last edited by Mack; 04-04-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

[QUOTE=daddyn4wisechix;16464723]

I can say that all of the mamas I know IRL who have had the ABX have kiddos who have had chronic digestive issues, ear infections, etc... no formal study, but enough for me to take note & consider that in my decision.
[QUOTE]

I had 3 days of non stop antibiotics for my heart valve to prevent endocarditis and my dd nursed fine - never had any stomach issues or ear infections - or has ever been truly sick in her 22 months of life. She has never had a drop of fomula or issues eatting foods - we did BLW with foods.

Antibiotics are nessasary for certain people and it is upsetting to me when some people on here seem to think that a child with cronic ear infections or digestive issues is WORSE then one who's mother would be in a hospital waiting for a heart transplant because she refused to take a few antibiotics and prevent a life without a non stop medication (need for a heart transplant).
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Each mama needs to be happy with the decisions they make. I haven't been tested but will treat myself with hibicleanse which has shown to be effective. There are other options than to automatically get antibiotics. I also don't think antibiotics are the worst thing in the world, BUT entirely overused in general.

KCannon- did you try any natural remedies to prevent it? Maybe try some and ask to be retested the week your due (not sure how long it takes to get test back).

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I was doing a search and didn't realize until I was posting that this thread is on a birth board. I don't mean to invade.

But, I wanted to reassure one of the previous posters. People do not become resistant to antibiotics. Bacteria can become resistant but people cannot. I am not sure where the statistic came from, but it doesn'tfit with basic microbiology.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
Each mama needs to be happy with the decisions they make. I haven't been tested but will treat myself with hibicleanse which has shown to be effective. There are other options than to automatically get antibiotics. I also don't think antibiotics are the worst thing in the world, BUT entirely overused in general.

KCannon- did you try any natural remedies to prevent it? Maybe try some and ask to be retested the week your due (not sure how long it takes to get test back).
Very true. Both ways have consequences and there are potential side effects to any medical treatments. It's entirely possible DD1 was made deaf by all the medications given her in the NICU. But I'll take a deaf baby over a dead one any day. I've had rhogam with all my pregnancies. I'm O- and DH is O+. They only give me the 2nd shot if the baby tests + and all 3 of my girls are O+. For me I couldn't take the chance of not doing it. I also have amazing docs who are always very willing to discuss risks and benefits, open to new info I find, and never scare me into treatments. It's really hard to find good unbiased information on these types of things because both sides tend to get heated. I'd look at the statistics starting with the CDC and go from there.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote