Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At this point there aren't any real major difficulties that would make me stop. I am just overly sore and the first 5 minutes of nursing on each side kills then it seems to subside a bit. I've been expressing a little of my colostrum to spread over nipple then air dry and put vitamin e or earth mama nipple butter on them. I then flip up my nursing bra with the nipple shields so they can be covered but still get air.

What are the side effects of using these shields?

Advertisement

Kaylacherie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It can potentially interfere with supply, though I've never had that issue. Also, it doesn't help all babies learn to nurse, sometimes weaning can be hard. When I weaned DD2 off the shield around 3 months I had some nipple pain again, but nothing like when she was a newborn. I'd get some cooling gel nursing pads, they're awesome!!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: First Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
Just wait things will be way less stressful after your baby's 1st weigh in & you see baby is gaining.
Congrats mama!
Also remember in the 1st month to establish a good supply (my lactation consultant told me this) baby must nurse 8 times in 24 hours.

We love the baby connect app on iPhone to keep track if nursing sessions
Congrats on your baby
I can't find the app. What is it called?

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Just get as much of your flesh into that babes mouth as possible. I always thought I had a good latch and couldn't figure out why I was so sore! It got better when I started putting as much of the areola in as I could. Babe will get more milk that way too! Good luck and keep with it!
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
mommyandjude
Registered Users
seller

Don't worry the first few months are tough but your supply will even out and you won't leak or get engorged and then it's so easy from then on!
mommyandjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
It can potentially interfere with supply, though I've never had that issue. Also, it doesn't help all babies learn to nurse, sometimes weaning can be hard. When I weaned DD2 off the shield around 3 months I had some nipple pain again, but nothing like when she was a newborn. I'd get some cooling gel nursing pads, they're awesome!!!
Great idea! I'm going to try filling a ziplock with cool water and do a few compressions
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like you are doing pretty good mama!

I second the cooling gel pads - keep them in the fridge!!

Have you tried the laid-back position? Not laying on your side but kind of reclining. I seriously think i spent 23 out of every 24 hours in that position, snoozing and nursing, for DD's first months.

The idea of mini goals is good. Also, in case things get tough - never quit on a bad day. Just have a piece of chocolate and carry on.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley
Sounds like you are doing pretty good mama!

I second the cooling gel pads - keep them in the fridge!!

Have you tried the laid-back position? Not laying on your side but kind of reclining. I seriously think i spent 23 out of every 24 hours in that position, snoozing and nursing, for DD's first months.

The idea of mini goals is good. Also, in case things get tough - never quit on a bad day. Just have a piece of chocolate and carry on.
Ahh good idea! My last nursing sesh was discouraging. It hurt so bad it put me to tears. Both of my nips are so torn up they have scabs on them. Is this okay for baby? I also noticed little blister bubbles around her lips... How do I get rid of and prevent these? Could it be from sucking on her blankets/ hands?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacherie88 View Post
Ahh good idea! My last nursing sesh was discouraging. It hurt so bad it put me to tears. Both of my nips are so torn up they have scabs on them. Is this okay for baby? I also noticed little blister bubbles around her lips... How do I get rid of and prevent these? Could it be from sucking on her blankets/ hands?
I know you weren't directing this at me so forgive me for putting in my two cents.

You poor thing. My nipples were a mess at two days postpartum also and that was such a miserable time for me so you have my sympathy. Have you seen a Lactation consultant? It sounds like your DD is latching badly or maybe tongue tied. Nursing can sometimes be a little painful but skin breakdown isn't normal and neither is being in tears while nursing.

As for the scabs they won't harm your DD just cause you a lot of pain unfortunately. if nursing gets too painful don't be afraid to take a break and pump or use a nipple shield, especially if you are dreading nursing and thinking about quitting.

Medela makes these things called soft shells that are like a dome so you can wear clothing without anything touching your nipples. They were a life saver for me.

How is your DDs weight gain? Sometimes a bad latch means they aren't getting as much milk.

I completely agree with mini goals, me and DD have had a ton of set backs but it does get easier. The only thing that kept me going is saying I'll nurse until the end of the week and if I still want to quit I will.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
kansasgirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
I can't find the app. What is it called?
It's called Baby Connect. I think it's only available for iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone they make other versions of this app. Just search for breastfeeding timer or something else similar.

I use the app and I LOVE it. I didn't have a smart phone when I had DD 4 years ago and having the app with DS this time around has been SO helpful. Helps me keep track of which side I should nurse next and also allows me to track how long he nurses (as well as many other features...too many to list). I highly recommend it.
kansasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote