Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Molly Amelia is here! *UPDATED w/ story + pics*

More later, doing great - tired, but great! Ended up getting the epidural, and don't regret it in hindsight!

Born 18 days early on 4/3/13 at 6:44 PM, Molly Amelia is 7lb 2.2 oz, 19.75" long. Only pushed for 30ish minutes or so!

--------------
Birth Story

I woke up on the morning of 4/3 and noticed that my panties were damp. This was pretty common for me, with the amount of discharge I've been getting, so I just threw on a panty liner. I ended up going through that panty liner in 30 min to an hour. Now, I had just seen the OB/GYN the day before, and she had told me there might be spotting. I didn't know if part of what I was seeing was my mucus. I toughed out the morning at work, feeling really crappy and telling people I thought it might be sooner rather than later. My work BFF had everyone on watch, just in case. I kept going to the bathroom to check and see what was going on, but it was hit or miss. I got to 3rd period and was sitting on a stool giving instructions when I knew I was leaking out more and more. I called our secretary and let her know that I'd be going to the hospital, and to find my BFF coverage. FORTUNATELY, my long-term sub had been shadowing me that day and the day before, so she literally jumped right in.

We drove to my house and picked up my bags. I told her I didn't want to text too many people because I wasn't sure if i was leaking amniotic fluid or not. Of course, DH was about 50+ miles away doing a test for the sheriff's office he's applying for. Got checked into the hospital and sure enough, it was amniotic fluid. I never had a "gush" when my water broke, so I wasn't sure - it was just leaking out.

Got into the room and my doctor told me that because my water had broke and I wasn't in active labor, their next step (typically) was to start a mom on pitocion. I knew that generally meant an epidural, so I was really resistant, and kept looking to DH and my two BFFs (who were there for the entire thing) for input on if I should do it. I went ahead and did it (1 PM), trying to manage pain on my birthing ball. I made it to 5 or 6 cm before I made the decision (after looking for reassurance again) to go ahead and get the epidural. By the time the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the spinal, they said I was an hour away from baby.

Learning how to push while on the epi was interesting, and I was asking the doctor if I was doing it correctly. Almost felt like I was fake pooping, and just making the bearing down noise. Less than an hour later (and maybe 30-45 min of pushing, max), we had Molly Amelia at 6:44 PM. I knew we were close when I could hear my support team (DH, BFFs) holding their breaths and whispering encouraging comments, and then when the girls started to tear up. I asked the group what the baby was (pink or blue) and they announced girl, like my husband had been convinced for months.

Got our good skin to skin time, delayed bath until way later that night, no eye drops, delayed vitamin K, and a saved placenta. Started breast feeding pretty quickly after all of that, and have been doing really well with that ever since. I had some tearing, and could feel him stitch me up (super weird), but that was about it.

I was really surprised at how peaceful/zen/non-stressful the birthing atmosphere was. Between my nurse, who seemed very supportive of anything I wanted and very experienced, and the doctor, it was all very matter of fact. "Ok, now we're going to push." I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really happy with how everything went down. I don't regret the pitocin or the epidural in hindsight. It was what we needed at the time and it didn't seem to affect our bonding when she arrived. My labor went really quickly, all things considered, so I never felt exhausted or run down.

My AFTER birth story is a completely different situation though, and probably best left for another post. Fortunately, we got the hell out of dodge as quickly as possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	139149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	139938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	139939  

Advertisement

Last edited by USNsis; 04-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
USNsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
TCKmom
Registered Users

Re: Molly Amelia is here!

Congratulations! She is adorable So glad you are both doing well. Can't wait to hear more!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! So glad you are both doing well
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
LacyHolly
Registered Users

Congratulations!!! She's adorable! Glad to hear you're doing well. Great job mama!!!

Looking for Thirsties fitteds with hook and loop
LacyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

So cute! Congrats!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Clothobsessed2010
Registered Users
seller

She is beautiful! Congratulations!!

Expecting our IVF miracle baby GIRL in April 2013!
Clothobsessed2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
sunnygirlmomof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's a cutie!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
andrea020611
Registered Users

Aw love the fluffy bum what a cutie! Congrats
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hooray! Congrats!!! Love her tiny fluff!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

congrats, she is absolutely beautiful

love her little diaper too!