Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

For those whose kids share a room...

When she is big enough, DD will move in with her brother. We have a Kura bed from Ikea that we will flip, so DS will be on top and she'll be on the bottom/floor. We figure that we can leave off the lowest ladder rung so she can't climb it and DS will still be able to get up. If he's not ready for the top bunk, we have a toddler bed that can go in there temporarily.

However, I'm wondering about making the rest if the room toddler-safe but preschool/kindergartener accessible. Specifically, making sure he can leave to go to the bathroom but she can't? And that he can get his drawers open to dress/put laundry away but she won't pinch her fingers?

I guess we could just limit his access again...

Anyone BTDT? The age difference is 3 years and we plan to put them together by the time she is 15-18 months.

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those whose kids share a room...

Both dd2 and dd3 were sleeping in the same room with a bunk (in which the older sibling slept) by the time they were 1. It was never an issue. They had already learned how to safely climb the bunk bed. At night, I typically stay in the room, reading or singing to them until they are very close to sleep, and generally no one gets out of bed when I leave. Even when they have, I have a monitor in there so I can hear them and intervene. Lol
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Nora+6
Registered Users

My oldest two are 2 1/2 years apart and shared a room until they were 13 and 10. I have never, for any of my children, locked drawers or doors. We took / take basic precautions...sharp and poisonous items were properly contained, front door locked at night, etc.

I never locked toilets, dresser drawers, bedroom doors, etc. and have never had any major mishaps.

So, I would not worry about the drawers or the bedroom door too much. I can't imagine locking a toddler in their bedroom, really.
Nora+6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally I didn't worry about much- pinching fingers, climbing, etc. were not concerns of mine. The only thing I worried about putting a toddler in with older kids was the issue of the older kids being able to get to the bathroom and yet the toddler not escaping in the early morning or middle of the night to get into trouble. In our house the bedrooms and bathroom are in a hallway so we just gated the hall off and left the bedroom doors open. That way we could hear if the toddler got up. Big kids could get up and the toddler could get up but couldn't go anywhere except the bedrooms or bathroom (although he never went in the bathroom because there was no reason to). Never had any issues. We just opened the gate and let everyone into the living area in the morning.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our story is that we have our two sons together: 2 and 8. The bunk bed is against the wall with a railing on the other side for the 2 year old. The little guy is too nervous to get out of the bed, so he will just call for us in the morning when he wants to get out. He also has never tried to climb the ladder. He's a little bit of a nervous nelly.

I think what you decide to do is going to be really specific to the personality of the kids involved.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never locked drawers or doors but I will admit my kids cosleep to at least three. Tharen played in his brother's room and playroom all of the time during the day, it was never an issue. We left the bedroom door open and the drawers just weren't a problem. Normal safety precautions so the furniture doesn't get pulled down but other than that I wouldn't be particularly concerned.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My littles stay in a crib until 2 or 2.5 years. So we have an older sibling in a twin bed and a younger one in a crib in the same room. We move them to a twin bed when they can grasp and obey "stay in your bed" "you may not get out of your bed". We have never had an issue. I cannot imagine giving a 15-18 month old a bed they can get out of and a room of older siblings' things. GL!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

The furniture is secure and everything in there in terms of DS's stuff is baby safe since DS went into his big boy bed at 13 months. All the big kid toys are in the playroom. I guess the drawers aren't really a big deal, either, if we teach her to call for us and go to her as soon as we hear her, so the only real issue is bathroom access. There isn't really any way to gate off the hallway/stairs and have him able to get to the bathroom, so maybe I'll get a chime I can hear if the door is opened? Unless I gate off the whole upper floor...
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd just gate off the bedroom doorway. We have a gate that my 3 year old son can open but my 17 month old daughter is nowhere near being able to manipulate; DS is great about opening the gate when he needs to and remembering to close it behind himself.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Mine are 4.5 and 2.5. We put a gate up and then I take it down when my 2 yr old wakes up in the night to come to my bed. My 4.5 yr old does not typically get up in the night or even leave her bed without calling for us first. We have a baby monitor so we can hear them if they need anything in the night. The gate will probably be there for long time because my son DOES leave his bed all.the.time.