Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you ever feel like posting on Facebook...

Dear Friends...Please stop posting pictures of your kiddos in their carseats. You are making me crazy. Love, Your Carseat Fanatic Friend

This is spring break week, and many have posted pics of their kids driving to Florida. Seriously, so far I've not seen a single kid using his/her seat properly. I politely messaged one young adult aunt who I knew would take the suggestion well since she isn't the parent and wants to do a good job taking care of her niece, and would honestly say that she didn't know any better. But the rest I am not really in a position to say anything. One of them had outgrown his Symphony (straps at least 2 inches below the shoulders) and the chest clip was literally at shoulder level. The kid looked so uncomfortable! Others were in NBB slumped over the middle of the car. Or with straps so loose and twisted that kiddo is going to fly out. I know many people just don't care, but come on...we've all had a physics class and played with crash cars... These same parents would agonize over which shoes to buy, or spend hours researching a new TV or video game system. Take the same amount of time to learn to use your child's carseat!

Oh well. Vent over.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever feel like posting on Facebook...

ALL.THE.TIME.

Seriously, outside of my car-seat.org friends, very few people use their car seats properly. I'm talking like only buckling the chest clip of their 3 year old's outgrown ComfortSport that he was FF in at 7 months. I have posted several statuses offering to help for free and giving the link to our local SafeKids but very few people have asked for help and none of them have been the ones with the gross misuse.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
jenniferaj072806
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good God YES!! It drives me nuts !!

jenniferaj072806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

Yes, and I HAVE. Did I mention I've been unfriended by many people? Haha.
Someone even once told me I'm so overprotective I'm going to turn my kids gay and they will hate me before she deleted me. (Big loss, right?)

I share a lot of informative things on my facebook, including pictures that detail how to use the harness/chest clip correctly, the importance of ERFing, etc. I often tag EVERY single one of my mommy friends who have kids age appropriate to the information in those photos.

It just breaks my heart and makes me angry all at the same time that these people will spend more time doing their make up in the morning, literally spend hours upon hours talking about, thinking about, arguing about choosing the perfect name for their child, but they refuse to give a darn about carseat safety.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
MommyToTwoPrinces
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ALL. THE. TIME!!! Drives me flipping bananas!!!

MommyToTwoPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Yup. I post about car seat stuff (usually a link to a good article) about once every few months, and as a result I do occasionally get emails or facebook messages asking me for car seat advice. It makes my day when that happens! But far more often, I see parents who should know better not using their seats correctly.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You guys will go crazy where I live. If an infant is even in a carseat your lucky most of the time it is an out dated ff infant seat not strapped down and the baby is not strapped in properly. It is so upsetting
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Probably going to get unfriended, but 3 more pics this morning put me over the edge.

Here is what I wrote...
Mamas---if kiddo is forward facing in his/her carseat, the straps need to be coming out of the slots at or above kiddos shoulders. This prevents spinal cord compression in a front end collision. If rear facing, the straps should be at or below the shoulders. The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner, and should be at the armpits. Straps should be as tight as your bra strap. If kiddo is taller than the top slots, the seat is outgrown and needs to be replaced with something larger. I know I am carseat crazy, but something like 90% of people aren't using their seats correctly. Seatcheck.org is a great resource to find a local tech if you aren't sure about things.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
These today. I had to say something. I think she was just showing off her makeup job.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually got a great shock today. 1 friend posted her little girl who was textbook correct in her seat. I PMed her. We giggled about it.