Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
addielou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Growling dog

We have a 90lb weimerianer who we've had for 6 years. She is the most tender hearted dog. But she has started sporadically growling at our 14 month old. Given, the baby is in the dog's zone when this happens, but with an inside dog, I can't prevent this 24/7. We never imagined this would happen. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? If so, what did you do? We don't want to get rid of her, but we definitely don't want our child but.

Advertisement

addielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
addielou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*bit
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Growling dog

Not us but my brother and sister in law have dealt with this. They got rid of the dog that day. With a dog 5 times bigger than the baby, baby had no chance if the dog decides to bite.

My brother in law had had the dog since he was a puppy. He was around 7 years old. I understand he cried when he took the dog to a dog farm. Still the toddlers safety came first.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 04-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would recommend to have a trainer come ASAP and give you an exact way to deal with this based off the personality of your dog. One of my dogs did sort of start to growl at our baby at around a year old when the baby crawled right up to him and tried to take the chewie. We called the trainer and he said since my husband is the Alpha he was the disciplinarian. My dog raises his hair a bit when he's peeved so the next time it happened, and he didn't even get to the growling part, my husband yelled NO at the dog (we never yell really) and grabbed him down into the ground. The dog was obviously corrected and has not tried to do anything since. He lets the baby touch any of his things. I think it's because my husband corrected the pack order - he reminded the dog that the baby is above him in the pack, not the other way around.

You gotta nip it in the bud, this isn't something to mess around with. That dog is my first baby, he's five years old and I rescued him as an 11 week old on death row. He and I have something special going. But, obviously the baby comes before he does, and he needed the correction.

Do you have a trainer?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Growling indicates the dog thinks it is above your child in rank. The dog should not have any space that the child cant enter. You need to nip this in the bud before the dog bites your child. If you cant teach your dog that it is below your child in rank, and get it to the point where it does not ever growl at him/her, then you need to get rid of the dog.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
addielou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes, we have a trainer and have been taking her to classes since she was a puppy. Honestly, I can't imagine we can nip it in the bud. I was watching this happen and the dog showed no sign of warning before the growling started.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by addielou View Post
Yes, we have a trainer and have been taking her to classes since she was a puppy. Honestly, I can't imagine we can nip it in the bud. I was watching this happen and the dog showed no sign of warning before the growling started.
When she growls, you need to correct it RIGHT AWAY. I don't know what techniques the trainer uses or what you are comfortable with, but my husband is a big dude and my dog is a big dog, and my husband ended up pushing the dog down on the ground by the back of his neck. We are hippie pacifists here, but it was needed. You will probably need to correct it over and over every single time if you want to keep her. The growling is the warning shot your dog is giving the baby. You may not need any signal before the growling, if she growls, you need to assert your dominance over her and show her that she is BELOW the baby and not allowed to growl.

It's rough I am so sorry. My dog is the sweetest thing ever and used to let my niece drag him around. We never thought he would growl. It's so awful when you hear it and your dog isn't acting as you thought he/she would. But, you need to be proactive and fix it ASAP.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
When she growls, you need to correct it RIGHT AWAY. I don't know what techniques the trainer uses or what you are comfortable with, but my husband is a big dude and my dog is a big dog, and my husband ended up pushing the dog down on the ground by the back of his neck. We are hippie pacifists here, but it was needed. You will probably need to correct it over and over every single time if you want to keep her. The growling is the warning shot your dog is giving the baby. You may not need any signal before the growling, if she growls, you need to assert your dominance over her and show her that she is BELOW the baby and not allowed to growl.

It's rough I am so sorry. My dog is the sweetest thing ever and used to let my niece drag him around. We never thought he would growl. It's so awful when you hear it and your dog isn't acting as you thought he/she would. But, you need to be proactive and fix it ASAP.
We are very pacifist as well, but when we adopted our dog it became very clear we needed to assert ourselves to correct certain things. Otherwise the dog thinks its their territory and they can "correct" whom they please (a child).

You need to correct the dog when he/she growls. Do not allow it.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
ralenth
Registered Users

Growling is the warning. She's (the dog) telling you something. A good trainer should be able to help you with this. What did the trainer say?

We are in puppy classes, and she says the same thing as most people above has said. If the dog acts inappropriately to the children, correct it right away. A poke to the loin, body block, and claim the kids.
ralenth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
ralenth
Registered Users

Growling is the warning. She's (the dog) telling you something. A good trainer should be able to help you with this. What did the trainer say?

We are in puppy classes, and she says the same thing as most people above has said. If the dog acts inappropriately to the children, correct it right away. A poke to the loin, body block, and claim the kids.
ralenth is online now   Reply With Quote